Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Local zone is not logging systems messages to /var/adm/messages Post 303035805 by samthewildone on Monday 3rd of June 2019 07:10:43 PM
Old 06-03-2019

Also checked the log provided within svcs and nothing out of the ordinary

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

error messages in /var/adm/messages

Hi, I have a SunFire V490, Solaris 10 with XP1024 storage and HP Library. I have noticed the following error messages in the /var/adm/messages file. These errors are being generated constantly. Also commands like devfsadm, format cfgadm etc are getting hung. After a reboot it works fine for a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nitinp82
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Info req: /var/adm/messages - Kern.warning - different ID messages

Hi all, where I can find a list and meaning of the ID number (for example ID 353554 kern.warning)? Thanks in advance Pierluigi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Petrucci
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Help understanding [daemon.warning] messages in /var/adm/messages

Hi I've been using solaris for a few days now. During the install process i had some problems configuring my nic as i needed to install a third-party driver, which i got from a a linked site from the Sun Device Detector tool a ran prior to installing. I got it working eventually, but i'm... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jpg.2009
1 Replies

4. Solaris

[kern.warning] messages in /var/adm/messages

Hi Having looked through the log file /var/adm/messages i've noticed these kernel warning messages and i don't know what they mean: !-- @page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> cpudrv: NOTICE: cpu_acpi: _TSS package not found. cpudrv: WARNING:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jpg.2009
1 Replies

5. Solaris

diff b/w /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages

hi sirs can u tell the difference between /var/log/syslogs and /var/adm/messages in my working place i am having two servers. in one servers messages file is empty and syslog file is going on increasing.. and in another servers message file is going on increasing but syslog file is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies

6. Solaris

uamod messages in /var/adm/messages

Hello, I am using Solaris 10 and I'm geting the folowing error in /var/adm/messages. Feb 12 09:01:18 srp21ce1 uamod: NOTICE: (uamod480 @ Q 0x600159db710) set threshold to default values Feb 12 09:01:18 srp21ce1 uamod: NOTICE: (uamod480 @ Q 0x600159db710) threshold values... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: toshibelul
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/var/adm/messages vs /var/log/messages

The /var/adm/messages in Solaris seem to log more system messages/errors compared to /var/log/messages in Linux. I checked the log level in Linux and they seem OK. Is there any other log file that contains the messages or is it just that Linux doesn't log great many things? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gomes1333
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Difference between /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages

Hi, Is the contents in /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages are same?? Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vks47
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why there are /var/adm/messages.0,messages.1,messages.2,messages.3

Hi folks, In what circumstance does the log move to /var/adm/messages.0.......messages.1,messages.2,messages.3 .......etc ---------- Post updated at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:17 PM ---------- To make my questions more understandable, What are the processes that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kimurayuki
4 Replies
syslog.conf(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						    syslog.conf(4)

NAME
syslog.conf - syslogd configuration file SYNOPSIS
facility.severity destination Where: Is part of the system generating the message, specified in /usr/include/sys/syslog_pri.h. See also the syslogd(8) reference page. The severity level, which can be emerg, alert, crit, err, warning, notice, info, or debug. See /usr/include/sys/syslog_pri.h. The syslogd daemon logs all messages of the specified severity level plus all messages of greater severity. For example, if you specify level err, all messages of levels err, crit, alert, and emerg or panic are logged. A local file pathname to a log file, a host name for remote logging or a list of users. In the latter case the users will receive messages when they are logged in. An asterisk (*) causes a message to be sent to all users who are currently logged in. DESCRIPTION
The /etc/syslog.conf file is a system file that enables you to configure or filter events that are to be logged by syslogd. You can specify more than one facility and its severity level by separating them with semicolons. You can specify more than one facility logs to the same file by separating the facilities with commas, as shown in the EXAMPLES section. The syslogd daemon ignores blank lines and lines that begin with an octothorpe (#). You can specify # as the first character in a line to include comments in the file or to disable an entry. The facility and severity level are separated from the destination by one or more tab characters. If you want the syslogd daemon to use a configuration file other than the default, you must specify the file name with the following com- mand: # syslogd -f config_file Daily Log Files You can specify in the /etc/syslog.conf file that the syslogd daemon create daily log files. To create daily log files, use the following syntax to specify the path name of the message destination: /var/adm/syslog.dated/ { file} The file variable specifies the name of the log file, for example, mail.log or kern.log. If you specify a /var/adm/syslog.dated/file path name destination, each day the syslogd daemon creates a sub-directory under the /var/adm/syslog.dated directory and a log file in the sub-directory, using the following syntax: /var/adm/syslog.dated/ date / file Where: The date variable specifies the day, month, and time that the log file was created. The file variable specifies the name of the log file you previously specified in the /etc/syslog.conf file. The syslogd daemon automatically cre- ates a new date directory every 24 hours and also when you boot the system. The current directory is a link to the latest date directory. To get the latest logs, you only need to reference the /var/adm/syslog.dated/current directory. EXAMPLES
The following is a sample /etc/syslog.conf file: # # syslogd config file # # facilities: kern user mail daemon auth syslog lpr binary # priorities: emerg alert crit err warning notice info debug # kern.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/kern.log user.debug /var/adm/sys- log.dated/user.log daemon.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/daemon.log auth.crit;syslog.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/syslog.log mail,lpr.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/misc.log msgbuf.err /var/adm/crash.dated/msgbuf.savecore kern.debug /var/adm/messages kern.debug /dev/console *.emerg * FILES
/etc/syslog.conf /etc/syslog.auth - Authorization file for remote logging. /usr/include/sys/syslog_pri.h - Common components of a syslog event log record. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: /usr/sbin/syslogd(8), /usr/sbin/binlogd(8) System Administration delim off syslog.conf(4)