Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Valid separator in time and date format Post 303035796 by jim mcnamara on Monday 3rd of June 2019 12:12:01 PM
Old 06-03-2019
Where I ran into real world problems is with free form entry on date (as text) fields. So. The mix provided by the OP was not realistic based on my experience.

I had to correct several hundred million rows of almost unbelievable garbage dates in a transaction table. The data was entered by users in several countries.

Example: "Apr 4". Okay. What year? I had to use the table's unique sequence and search nearby to find temporally close rows until I found a year. So for each
bizarre date problem we ran a separate script with a subsequent validation script. Took several weeks to fix the mess.

Overall the problems got better run times as more neighbors were "fixed" - in this one kind of example problem.
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

format date/time presentation

1) i am trying to print the timeframe of a log file using the start/end date/time being extracted from the file itself. my problem is how to convert the following numeric date format to the one that i prefer: Start time: 0204161129 End time : 0204171431 into: Start time: Apr 16 2002... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Epoch time format to normal date time format in the same file

I have a file named "suspected" with series of line like these : {'protocol': 17, 'service': 'BitTorrent KRPC', 'server': '219.78.120.166', 'client_port': 52044, 'client': '10.64.68.44', 'server_port': 8291, 'time': 1226506312L, 'serverhostname': ''} {'protocol': 17, 'service': 'BitTorrent... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rk4k
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date and Time format

I want to append current date and time to a file name like filename_090920091210. If I use filename_`date +%d%m%Y%T`, the ouput is filename_0909200912:10:33. How to format this as filename_090920091210. Please let me know. Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srimenon09
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

date and time in mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm format

Frens, I have a logfile which has got manier things in it and somewer in that file i have a date in mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm format.... I just need to get the date and time nothing else.... i have searched in this forum for it but got only date in mm-dd-yyyy format.. but i need to search for... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk & date time format

This gives: grep "qprt -o -dp -N 1 -P" printfile.log.1216 |awk '{print $7, $9}' |grep lpc1z The output like below: lpc1z /cerner/d_prod/print/ccltemp4235396d030a.dat.tmp.1216075330] lpc1z /cerner/d_prod/print/ccltemp4235396d036a.dat.tmp.1216075634] lpc1z... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Scripts - shows today’s date and time in a better format than ‘date’ (Uses positional paramete

Hello, I am trying to show today's date and time in a better format than ‘date' (Using positional parameters). I found a command mktime and am wondering if this is the best command to use or will this also show me the time elapse since 1/30/70? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: citizencro
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Military type format date/time conversion

Hello All, I have a requirement to convert a 12 hour format to 24 hour time format and the sample input /out put is below Input Time format : Nov 2 2011 12:16AM Out Put Format : Nov 2 2011 0:16 Input : Nov 2 2011 4:16PM Out Put: Nov 2 2011 16:16 I have done this using a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jambesh
6 Replies

8. HP-UX

DATE and TIME format help in HP-UX

Hello, I have date format as shown in red color below Fri, Sep 12, 2012 08:38:05 PM Can anyone help me with command to change this format to yyyy-mm-dd and HH:MM:SS Note: Time should be in 24 hours format I really appreciate your help!! Thanks, Elavarasan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Elavarasan
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the date and time format in UNIX script.

Hi, I am extracting a date string from the source file like this : 06/05/2014 16:04:00 I want to change it to 05-JUN-14 04.05.00.000000000 PM I basically store the date in a variable. I got solutions to change date in dd-mmm-yyyy format using tr but I guess it works only with the "date"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Varshha
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if time format is valid

How can I validate if time (HH:MM:SS) argument is valid? I got this from web but I can't modify it to exit the script if the time argument is invalid. echo $1 | awk -F ':' '{ print ($1 <= 23 && $2 <= 59 && $3 <= 59) ? "good" : "bad" }' ex: ./script.ksh 12:34:21 = okay ./script.ksh... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: erin00
10 Replies
userdbck(1M)															      userdbck(1M)

NAME
userdbck - verify or fix information in the user database, /var/adm/userdb SYNOPSIS
[file] DESCRIPTION
verifies the information in the user database reports inconsistencies, and fixes problems. If no options and no arguments are specified, reports all data corruption problems in all files in If the option is also specified, each reported problem is repaired. If a file argument (hex 00-ff) is specified, only that file in the directory is verified. Options The following options are recognized: Verify attributes. Information in is used to report any attribute that is not valid, not allowed in the user database, has an invalid value, or is allowed only for a local user and the user is not in Normally when the user database is disabled (see userdb(4)), immediately exits without verifying or repairing the database. The option overrides this and forces to verify or repair the database. Verify user names. User names found in the database are reported if they do not exist in any of the repositories defined in This option could take a long time on a system with many users. Repair all data corruption problems that are found. If this option is not specified, problems are reported but not repaired. Notes Only users who have read and write access to can run RETURN VALUE
exits with one of the following values: success: no inconsistencies were found inconsistencies were found and fixed invalid usage database is disabled; see userdb(4) inconsistencies were found but not fixed, because the option was not specified a problem was found that could not be fixed EXAMPLES
In the following example, all problems in the user database are reported but not repaired. In the following example, all problems in file are reported and repaired. FILES
user database security defaults configuration file security attributes description file SEE ALSO
userdbget(1M), userdbset(1M), userdb_read(3), security(4), userdb(4). userdbck(1M)