Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Hashing password with bcrypt in Solaris 10 Post 303035664 by solaris_1977 on Thursday 30th of May 2019 01:19:02 PM
Old 05-30-2019
Hashing password with bcrypt in Solaris 10. Alternative from Oracle?

Hi,

Our security audit person generated a report for Solaris-10 servers and mentioned this suggestion - "All passwords should be hashed using bcrypt. Solaris 10 supports this blowfish-based hash algorithm with the identifier 2a. To verify this, ensure the password hashes start with $2a$. Additionally, all passwords currently hashed as descrypt should be changed."
Looks like, it is a third party utility and not from Oracle. In case of any issue, they may say that it is not supported by us. For achieving similar result, does Solaris have any default tool instead of testing/implementing a third party tool ?

Please advice.

Thanks

Last edited by solaris_1977; 05-30-2019 at 02:49 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hashing or MD5

Hi, how can one find that which encryption algorithm the system is using for keeping the user password in the /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow file. Is it 1: Hashing ( which considers only first 5 letters of password) 2: MD5 (Which allows arbitry length passwords) Thanks, ~amit (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit4g
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Hashes, reading and hashing 2 files

So I have two files that I want to put together via hashes and am having a terrible time with syntax. For example: File1 A apple B banana C citrusFile2 A red B yellow C orangeWhat I want to enter on the command line is: program.pl File1 File2And have the result... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: silkiechicken
11 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 8 - Asks for current root password when trying to change root password.

Hello All, I have several solaris boxes running Solaris 8. When changing root passwords on them, all will simply ask for the new root password to change and of course to re-type the new password. One of the systems however asks for the existing root password before it will display the new password... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tferrazz
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to analyze file hashing

What command should I use to analyze file hashing of fixed flat files. How much work does it take for multiple flat files. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbjoat
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file hashing utility in unix

I am looking for a utility that does file hashing in unix. ...Please let me know of any good easy to use utility (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbjoat
3 Replies

6. Programming

Linear hashing implementation in C language

Hi, I'm looking for linear hashing implementation in C language. Please help. PS: I have implement this on Ubuntu 10.04 Linux on 64 bit machine. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sajjar
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

password hashing algorithms

I'm collecting some info on the password hashing algorithms in use on various Unix systems. So far I have: no $ legacy unix crypt $1$ MD5 $2$ Blowfish on BSD $2a$ alternate Blowfish on BSD $md5$ Sun's alternate MD5 $3$ a Microsoft hash $4$ not used? $5$ RedHat proposed Sha-256... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
2 Replies

8. Solaris

[solved] Password hashing

Hello, I'm having an issue with my password hashing. In /etc/shadow all the passwords hashes start with $1$. The security people want me to change it so the password hash starts with $5$ or $6$. So this is what I did to fix this. I changed CRYPT_DEFAULT for 1 to 6 CRYPT_DEFAULT=6When I create a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bitlord
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hashing URLs

So, I am writing a script that will read output from Bulk Extractor (which gathers data based on regular expressions). My script then reads the column that has the URL found, hashes it with MD5, then outputs the URL and hash to a file. Where I am stuck on is that I want to read the bulk... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: twjolson
7 Replies
DOVEADM-PW(1)							      Dovecot							     DOVEADM-PW(1)

NAME
doveadm-pw - Dovecot's password hash generator SYNOPSIS
doveadm [-Dv] pw -l doveadm [-Dv] pw [-p password] [-r rounds] [-s scheme] [-u user] [-V] doveadm [-Dv] pw -t hash [-p password] [-u user] DESCRIPTION
doveadm pw is used to generate password hashes for different password schemes and optionally verify the generated hash. All generated password hashes have a {scheme} prefix, for example {SHA512-CRYPT.HEX}. All passdbs have a default scheme for passwords stored without the {scheme} prefix. The default scheme can be overridden by storing the password with the scheme prefix. OPTIONS
Global doveadm(1) options: -D Enables verbosity and debug messages. -v Enables verbosity, including progress counter. Command specific options: -l List all supported password schemes and exit successfully. There are up to three optional password schemes: BLF-CRYPT (Blowfish crypt), SHA256-CRYPT and SHA512-CRYPT. Their availability depends on the system's currently used libc. -p password The plain text password for which the hash should be generated. If no password was given doveadm(1) will prompt interactively for one. -r rounds The password schemes BLF-CRYPT, SHA256-CRYPT and SHA512-CRYPT supports a variable number of encryption rounds. The following table shows the minimum/maximum number of encryption rounds per scheme. When the -r option was omitted the default number of encryption rounds will be applied. Scheme | Minimum | Maximum | Default ---------------------------------------------- BLF-CRYPT | 4 | 31 | 5 SHA256-CRYPT | 1000 | 999999999 | 5000 SHA512-CRYPT | 1000 | 999999999 | 5000 -s scheme The password scheme which should be used to generate the hashed password. By default the CRAM-MD5 scheme will be used. It is also possible to append an encoding suffix to the scheme. Supported encoding suffixes are: .b64, .base64 and .hex. See also http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Authentication/PasswordSchemes for more details about password schemes. -t hash Test if the given password hash matches a given plain text password. The plain text password may be passed using the -p option. When no password was specified, doveadm(1) will prompt interactively for one. -u user When the DIGEST-MD5 scheme is used, also the user name must be given, because the user name is a part of the generated hash. For more information about Digest-MD5 please read also: http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Authentication/Mechanisms/DigestMD5 -V When this option is given, the hashed password will be internally verified. The result of the verification will be shown after the hashed password, enclosed in parenthesis. EXAMPLE
The first password hash is a DIGEST-MD5 hash for jane.roe@example.com. The second password hash is a CRAM-MD5 hash for john.doe@exam- ple.com. doveadm pw -s digest-md5 -u jane.roe@example.com Enter new password: Retype new password: {DIGEST-MD5}9b9dcb4466233a9307bbc33708dffda0 doveadm pw Enter new password: Retype new password: {CRAM-MD5}913331d8782236a8ecba7764a63aa27b26437fd40ca878d887f11d81245c2c6b REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs, including doveconf -n output, to the Dovecot Mailing List <dovecot@dovecot.org>. Information about reporting bugs is avail- able at: http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html SEE ALSO
doveadm(1) Dovecot v2.2 2013-08-17 DOVEADM-PW(1)