Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers 1000 sleep commands on a Linux Server impact? Post 303035546 by MadeInGermany on Tuesday 28th of May 2019 04:46:49 AM
Old 05-28-2019
I mean a 1000 sleeping processes is no problem, but you should wake them up one by one, at least a small quantity (say 10) at a time.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Remove Server Sleep Mode

Hi All, Need some help here. Can anyone tell me how to set or which start up script to edit in order not to set the server to sleep mode after a while of inactivity. My Unix server will go to sleep mode and then i always end up with a OK Prompt and have to reset the server. My Server is a V120... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvintai
16 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix sleep and date commands

please help me to fix my script trying to use sleep 2 minutes while the system is sleeping i want to print out same message every 5 seconds thanks t=`date +%S` while do sleep 5 echo "this program will end in 2 minute" done (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fanco
1 Replies

3. Hardware

Deskjet 1000 hp- commands

I have installed an HP Deskjet 1000 j110 on my Slackware system (13.37). I am trying to print more than 1 page out of 2 or more. No luck so far. Found that there are about 30 odd commands like hp-linefeedcal, -print, -pkservice, -printsettings, -devicesettings, -systray, -check, -align, and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: slak0
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to pull uid greater than 1000 from remote server

Hello, I am trying to get UID # greater than 1000 from all linux server, I tried this script getting this error message, someone please suggest. $for i in `cat hostlist.0709.org` ; do ssh -t $i 'awk -F':' "{ if($3 >= 1000) print $0 }" /etc/passwd ' >> output ; done $ cat output hostname1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby320
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running Commands on a Remote Linux Server over SSH

Hello, I'm trying to create a ksh script to ssh to a remote server, enter the password and a couple commands. For security reasons I have changed the login, password and ip in my example. #!/bin/ksh ssh -t -t username@12.5.5.3 << EOF password cd bin pwd EOF When I run it. It... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: seekryts15
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

Red Hat 6.5: Leap Day 29.02.2016 Impact on the Linux Machine

Hi Experts Is there any impact on the Linux Machine with respect to the Leap Day {29.02.2016}, which would be introduced next year as part of the Leap Year {2016}. From my application scope, I see no problems. Please comment. Regards Navkanwal (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: navkanwal
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

BSD Unix Toolbox: 1000+ Commands for FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and NetBSD

Usually when I on the evening go to bed I take some interesting book with me. I read it for a while to get me down to sleep. Probably most people seek information from the Nett by googleing but I am so oldfashioned I prefer a real book ;) But what a book. The one I found and ordered is BSD Unix®... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fossiili
0 Replies
PTS_SLEEP(1)						       AFS Command Reference						      PTS_SLEEP(1)

NAME
pts_sleep - Pauses for a few seconds SYNOPSIS
pts sleep [-delay] <# of seconds> [-cell] <cell name> [-noauth] [-localauth] [-force] pts sl [-d] <# of seconds> [-c] <cell name> [-n] [-l] [-f] DESCRIPTION
The pts sleep pauses for a specified number of seconds. The command can be run from the command line or interactively, although from the command line it's essentially equivalent to the sleep command. It is intended for use in interactive mode to pause for a few seconds between batch commands to allow the Protection Server to catch up. CAUTIONS
Prior to OpenAFS 1.4.5 and OpenAFS 1.5.23, the pts sleep command was only available on Unix or Linux and when OpenAFS was compiled with the supergroups option (disabled by default). As of OpenAFS 1.4.5 and 1.5.23, it is always available. OPTIONS
Although they have no effect, pts sleep takes the following standard pts options: -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. For more details, see pts(1). -force Enables the command to continue executing as far as possible when errors or other problems occur, rather than halting execution at the first error. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. Do not combine this flag with the -cell or -noauth options. For more details, see pts(1). -noauth Assigns the unprivileged identity anonymous to the issuer. For more details, see pts(1). OUTPUT
This command produces no output. EXAMPLES
Here is an example of a pts interactive session: % pts interactive pts> sleep 5 pts> quit % SEE ALSO
pts(1), pts_interactive(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007 Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> This documentation is covered by the BSD License as written in the doc/LICENSE file. This man page was written by Jason Edgecombe for OpenAFS. OpenAFS 2014-04-08 PTS_SLEEP(1)