Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Climate change anyone?
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Climate change anyone? Post 303035435 by Neo on Friday 24th of May 2019 12:28:13 AM
Old 05-24-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisecracker

Then there is lack of oxygen for the animal kingdom as huge swathes of forests are destroyed worldwide and more humans use the oxygen content in the atmosphere.
Man made discarded waste into the oceans and landfill will cause untold problems; landfill WILL eventually release large quantities of the greenhouse gas methane and related chemical cousins.
I could go on but I think I have said enough on the subject...

Barry.
Yes, you are right.

I admire Stomp for his passion, but he seems to ignore the history of the planet, the realities of global politics and the true socio-economic conditions of the WORLD at large.

Stomp, world is a lot bigger than Germany and your German friends (and I am sure they are great people, no doubt); but living in "the German bubble" and viewing the fate
of the planet from "the German perspective" is not realistic, on a global scale.

(Actually, you could substitute the country "Germany" with just about any modern, smaller sized, well developed country like "Sweden" or "Norway", etc).

The world's surface area is 196.9 million square miles, Germany's surface area is 137,988 square miles (just using Germany as an example)

Divide 137,988 by 196,900,000 and we get? 0.000700802437786 if I did the math right.

Of course, this is not meant in any way to be a slight on Germany. I have very good, close and long time devoted German friends.

But then I read your posts, I read the posts of a great person who seems to miss the fact that 99.999 percent of the world is not Germany or part of German thinking.

The world is a huge place and vast parts of the planet are socially and economically under developed; and those countries are global polluters and they are not worried about the planet, they just want to feed their families and not starve to death!

This is what many people do not realize. The world is huge and many parts of the planet are socially and economically disadvantaged and therefore most of the world of "have nots" are exploited by the "haves".

It is not realistic, in my view, that the "haves" of the world are going to all of a sudden stop exploiting the "have nots", who are by far the greatest number of people on the planet.

The world is "what is it" based on human nature, not some "altruistic ideal" of human nature which does not exist in the vast majority of the "dog eat dog" parts of the world where people are very poor and economically (and socially) depressed.

It's simply evolution.

The human species on planet Earth, as a whole (not only the "haves") have not evolved to such a state where their individual needs outweigh the needs of the planet; and even the "haves" are so selfish that most of them just want to get richer at the expense of the "have nots".

This is the problem.. It's human nature (not science or "the cool, green trends of today" ) and that the Earth's population at-large is not going to evolve fast enough, in my view, to stop catastrophic climate change.
This User Gave Thanks to Neo For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

How to change ip ?

hi , Is there anyway to change ip on sco5.04 i tried using netconfig on the prompt but gives me error . how do u manually change ip cant use acoadmin and netconfig .... thx art (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: art_malabanan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

change 43% to 43.5

I have a column in % and I want to display it as a one decimal place number for sorting - what function would I be looking at for dropping the % sign? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nortypig
2 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

change

bh,lg.yu.,fgh,ry,.tyl,tyk,ty,ty,ty,. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankycool
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh; Change file permissions, update file, change permissions back?

Hi, I am creating a ksh script to search for a string of text inside files within a directory tree. Some of these file are going to be read/execute only. I know to use chmod to change the permissions of the file, but I want to preserve the original permissions after writing to the file. How can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the content of files but not change the date

I have 100 files in a directory , all the files have a word "error" and they are created in different date . Now I would like to change the word from "error" to "warning" , and keep the date of the files ( that means do not change the file creation date after change the word ) , can advise what can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust3
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the content of files but not change the date

I have 100 files in a directory , all the files have a word "error" and they are created in different date . Now I would like to change the word from "error" to "warning" , and keep the date of the files ( that means do not change the file creation date after change the word ) , can advise what can... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust3
7 Replies

7. SCO

How to change raid controller driver ? (hardware change)

Hello I'm trying to virtualize an instance of Sco Unix 5.0.5 in VirtualBox (called VM-A) , but sco I have problems set to launch with the new raid controller . The physical machine has a raid controller adaptec (alad driver) but VirtualBox uses buslogic (blc driver) What ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flako
3 Replies