Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Values rotation in array with bash Post 303035322 by RudiC on Tuesday 21st of May 2019 06:39:40 AM
Old 05-21-2019
You seem to have some logical errors in your script:
- mixing up array indices with array values (tmp being assigned a value but then used for an index).

- using a constant (2) when the shift span (n) is given.
- outputting the modified array twice instead of comparing the two before and after

How about
Code:
$ array=( $(seq 1 "$box"))
$ echo " Original array : " ${array[*]}
 Original array :  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
$ echo " shift:" $n
 shift: 4
$ array=( $(for ((i=n; i; i--)); do echo -n  ${array[-i]}" "; unset array[-i];  done; echo ${array[@]}) )
$ echo " array shifted : " ${array[*]}
 array shifted :  7 8 9 10 1 2 3 4 5 6

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP: Search Multi-Dimensional(nested) array and export values of currenly worked on array.

Hi All, I'm writing a nagios check that will see if our ldap servers are in sync... I got the status data into a nested array, I would like to search key of each array and if "OK" is NOT present, echo other key=>values in the current array to a variable so...eg...let take the single array... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zeekblack
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Greping array values in Bash like Perl

Hi, Is there an easy way to simulate following Perl code in Bash. if ( grep {$my_value eq $_} @ARGV ){ print "Do Something\n"; } else { die "Invalid value"; } (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing values from file into array in Bash

Hi, I'm trying to write a bash script that takes a file and passes each line from the file into an array with elements separated by column. For example: Sample file "file1.txt": 1 name1 a first 2 name2 b second 3 name3 c third and have arrays such as: line1 = ( "1" "name1" "a"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShiGua
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

Values in array are not able to be used one by one

hey,i stored the value of an sql query in an array and then tried to use that value in while loop. actually my array will have two or more values, then according to the values i have to display result. #!/bin/bash -xv val_1=$( sqlplus -s rte/rted1@rel75d1 << EOF set heading off select... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramsavi
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash 3.2 - Array / Regex - IF 3rd member in array ends in 5 digits then do somthing...

Trying to do some control flow parsing based on the index postion of an array member. Here is the pseudo code I am trying to write in (preferably in pure bash) where possible. I am thinking regex with do the trick, but need a little help. pesudo code if == ENDSINFIVEINTS ]]; then do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the X highest values in a list depending on the values of another list with bash/awk?

Hi everyone, This is an exemple of inpout.txt file (a "," delimited text file which can be open as csv file): ID, Code, Value, Store SP|01, AABBCDE, 15, 3 SP|01, AABBCDE, 14, 2 SP|01, AABBCDF, 13, 2 SP|01, AABBCDE, 16, 3 SP|02, AABBCED, 15, 2 SP|01, AABBCDF, 12, 3 SP|01, AABBCDD,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeremy589
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash arrays: rebin/interpolate smaller array to large array

hello, i need a bit of help on how to do this effectively in bash without a lot of extra looping or massive switch/case i have a long array of M elements and a short array of N elements, so M > N always. M is not a multiple of N. for case 1, I want to stretch N to fit M arrayHuge H = (... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f77hack
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Array connectin to another Array

Hello, i have a script that i need account_number to match a name. for exsample : ACCOUNT_ID=(IatHG8DC7mZbdymSoOr11w KbnlG2j-KRQ0-1_Xk356s8) and i run a loop curl requst with this the issue is that i want to know on which account were talking about so bash will know this : ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: batchenr
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Values rotation in array with bash

Hello :) I created a little script that allow to make a rotation of values in an array. The goal was to shift the values to the right and that the last value of the array became the first value in order to create a rotation. The purpose of the exercice was to do it without using a temporary... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexy
3 Replies
MAX(3)									 1								    MAX(3)

max - Find highest value

SYNOPSIS
mixed max (array $values) DESCRIPTION
mixed max (mixed $value1, mixed $value2, [mixed $...]) If the first and only parameter is an array, max(3) returns the highest value in that array. If at least two parameters are provided, max(3) returns the biggest of these values. Note Values of different types will be compared using the standard comparison rules. For instance, a non-numeric string will be com- pared to an integer as though it were 0, but multiple string values will be compared alphanumerically. The actual value returned will be of the original type with no conversion applied. PARAMETERS
o $values - An array containing the values. o $value1 - Any comparable value. o $value2 - Any comparable value. o $... - Any comparable value. RETURN VALUES
max(3) returns the parameter value considered "highest" according to standard comparisons. If multiple values of different types evaluate as equal (e.g. 0 and 'abc') the first provided to the function will be returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Example uses of max(3) <?php echo max(2, 3, 1, 6, 7); // 7 echo max(array(2, 4, 5)); // 5 // The string 'hello' when compared to an int is treated as 0 // Since the two values are equal, the order they are provided determines the result echo max(0, 'hello'); // 0 echo max('hello', 0); // hello // Here we are comparing -1 < 0, so 'hello' is the highest value echo max('hello', -1); // hello // With multiple arrays of different lengths, max returns the longest $val = max(array(2, 2, 2), array(1, 1, 1, 1)); // array(1, 1, 1, 1) // Multiple arrays of the same length are compared from left to right // so in our example: 2 == 2, but 5 > 4 $val = max(array(2, 4, 8), array(2, 5, 1)); // array(2, 5, 1) // If both an array and non-array are given, the array will be returned // as comparisons treat arrays as greater than any other value $val = max('string', array(2, 5, 7), 42); // array(2, 5, 7) // If one argument is NULL or a boolean, it will be compared against // other values using the rule FALSE < TRUE regardless of the other types involved // In the below example, -10 is treated as TRUE in the comparison $val = max(-10, FALSE); // -10 // 0, on the other hand, is treated as FALSE, so is "lower than" TRUE $val = max(0, TRUE); // TRUE ?> SEE ALSO
min(3), count(3). PHP Documentation Group MAX(3)