Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Start process on X number of files and then wait for the next batch Post 303035047 by Chubler_XL on Sunday 12th of May 2019 07:37:12 PM
Old 05-12-2019
You could have GNU parallel deal with this for you, as long as it's available on you target system.

For example:
Code:
CMD=(J L M)
batch=echo
for j in ${CMD[@]}
do
   echo $batch -in  ${j} -out  ${j}.txt
done | parallel -j 10 --load 80% --noswap '{}'

The above will continue to start jobs (up to 10 at once) as long as total CPU load is below 80% and no swap in/out activity.
This User Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process Wait on DG UX

Does anyone know what the equivalent command to pwait on Solaris is on DG/UX. I need my script to kick off a process and wait till it is complete before continuing with the script. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fabbas
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append value(batch number) to start of records

Hi all, I am new to unix shell scripting and I am trying to append batch number that comes in Trailer record to the detailed record. TR|20080312|22881 |000000005|20080319|2202 LN|20080312|077777722220 |0000100000017|ABS LN|20080312|000799439326 |0000709943937|AA TR|20080313|22897 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran_418
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

wait command - cat it wait for not-chile process?

Did not use 'wait' yet. How I understand by now the wait works only for child processes, started background. Is there any other way to watch completion of any, not related process (at least, a process, owned by the same user?) I need to start a background process, witch will be waiting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

wait process

can any one please give me clear idea of wait process in UNIX system. I am using AIX 5.3 and see loots of wait process. I have very basic concept of wait process. If CPU has nothing to do then a wait process is generated per CPU. But i want know the detail how is it forked. Is wait a jombe... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchangba1
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh Script to get the start minute of n number of process

How can i write a script.? which lists all X process and gets the start minute of each of them. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anteus
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Number of files - in start of year

Is there any way to find "Number of files" that exists on my solaris parition in the starting of 2009 year ? I know ctime or mtime will not help and unix wouldnt store creation time. Only hope i can see ( and i am not sure if that will help ) is that my system is up from last 2 years without... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajwinder
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make the parent process to wait for the child process

Hi All, I have two ksh script. 1st script calls the 2nd script and the second script calls an 'C' program. I want 1st script to wait until the 'C' program completes. I cant able to get the process id for the 'C' program (child process) to make the 1st script to wait for the second... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sennidurai
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Make to batch process files

Hello all, I have a make question, and I was hoping somebody here might be able to point me in the right direction. Here is my issue; I have a command-line tool that I use to run a conversion on an input XML file that results in an output binary file. However, this particular tool needs to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jujumbura
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a batch of files within a shell script with option to refire the individual files in batch

Hello everyone. I am new to shell scripting and i am required to create a shell script, the purpose of which i will explain below. I am on a solaris server btw. Before delving into the requirements, i will give youse an overview of what is currently in place and its purpose. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goddevil
2 Replies

10. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

How to start a vbs from a windows batch file?

Morning, I'm trying to execute a vbs from a .bat file. Can someone tell me what the difference is between these statements: start c:\lib\runit.vbc c:\lib\runit.vbs When I run the batch with the 'start' parameter it doesn't seem to do anything. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Grueben
1 Replies
iob_new(3)						     Library Functions Manual							iob_new(3)

NAME
iob_new - create new I/O batch SYNTAX
#include <iob.h> io_batch* iob_new(int hint_entries); DESCRIPTION
iob_new creates a new I/O batch with enough space allocated for hint_entries entries (buffers or files). This is purely a performance hint, if you are unsure just pass 1. You can add buffers, strings and files to an I/O batch and then send it all at once using iob_send. The benefit of the I/O batch API is that it exploits platform specific APIs like FreeBSD's sendfile. The file contents will always be sent in a way that allows the operating systems to perform zero copy TCP, and the buffers will always be sent using as few syscalls as possible and avoiding unnecessary copying (using writev). RETURN VALUE
iob_new returns a pointer to an I/O batch data structure. If there was a memory allocation error, it returns NULL instead. SEE ALSO
iob_reset(3), iob_send(3), iob_addbuf(3), iob_adds_free(3), iob_addfile(3) iob_new(3)