Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sorting the contents of a variable Post 303034992 by jgt on Friday 10th of May 2019 12:39:29 PM
Old 05-10-2019
After a little thought:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/bash                                   
n=$#                                              
i=1                                               
C=""                                              
while [ $i -le $n ]                               
do                                                
        c=$(echo $1 |tr "[:upper:]" "[:lower:]" ) 
        C="$c\n$C"                                
        shift                                     
        let i=$i+1                                
done                                              
echo $C |sort -u

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding contents of a variable to a command

hi all, i'm new to shell scripting, so i'm not sure how to work this. Is it possible to read in the contents of a variable and add it to a command? for example: ------------------------ #!/bin/sh set example = -dfr rm ${example} ------------------------ when i run the script, i want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gammarays
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Save contents of a Variable

I want to save the contents of a variable to a file. How can that be achieved? I have tried with: echo $varname > textfile.txt but for some reason it does not print anything. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: carl_vieyra
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

unique sort contents of a variable

Hi , I have #echo $var1 #hdisk2 hdisk3 hdisk0 hdisk2 Now I need to remove duplicate entries from this . ie. after sorting it should only have hdisk2 hdisk3 hdisk0 . I can have these values in a array as well . I understand we can use sort -u to remove the duplicates in a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveenbvarrier
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing the contents of a file in a variable

There is a file named file.txt whose contents are: +-----------------------------------+-----------+ | Variable_name | Value | +-----------------------------------+-----------+ | Aborted_clients | 0 | | Aborted_connects | 25683... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to grep the contents of a variable..

Hello All, I've written a script to collect all audit logs files; now i want to see only the files from it which contains certain x tablenames. I've stored all the tablenames in a log file and using it through variable in a script (ex:below) $ more tablenames.log (this is just a samle... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suri.tyson
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read contents of a file into variable :(

My file is in this format : username : student information : default shell : student ID Eg : joeb:Joe Bennett:/bin/csh:1234 jerryd:Jerry Daniels:/bin/csh:2345 deaverm: Deaver Michelle:/bin/bash:4356 joseyg:Josey Guerra:/bin/bash:8767 michaelh:Michael Hall:/bin/ksh:1547 I have to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dude_me5
1 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to read contents of a file into variable :(

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I have to read the contents of each field of a file creating user accounts. The file will be of format : ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dude_me5
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Providing variable contents to awk

Hello, All. This is my first post here, and I expect that the answer is simple, but I can't find it. Might be the way I'm searching. I'm fairly new to Unix/Linux, and I'm writing a Korn Shell Script. I am trying to provide a value that is already in a variable to awk so that awk can pull out the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: compguy74
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Folder contents getting appended as strings while redirecting file contents to a variable

Hi one of the output of the command is as below # sed -n "/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/,/---------/{/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/d;/---------/d;p;}" Automation.OutputZ$zoneCounter | sed 's/$/<br>/' Resource List : <br> *************************** 1. row ***************************<br> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Storing file contents to a variable

Hi All, I was trying a shell script. I was unable to store file contents to a variable in the script. I have tried the below but unable to do it. Input = `cat /path/op.diary` Input = $(<op.diary) I am using ksh shell. I want to store the 'op.diary' file contents to the variable 'Input'... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: am24
12 Replies
lsort(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  lsort(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
lsort - Sort the elements of a list SYNOPSIS
lsort ?options? list _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command sorts the elements of list, returning a new list in sorted order. The implementation of the lsort command uses the merge-sort algorithm which is a stable sort that has O(n log n) performance characteristics. By default ASCII sorting is used with the result returned in increasing order. However, any of the following options may be specified before list to control the sorting process (unique abbreviations are accepted): -ascii Use string comparison with ASCII collation order. This is the default. -dictionary Use dictionary-style comparison. This is the same as -ascii except (a) case is ignored except as a tie-breaker and (b) if two strings contain embedded numbers, the numbers compare as integers, not characters. For example, in -dictionary mode, bigBoy sorts between bigbang and bigboy, and x10y sorts between x9y and x11y. -integer Convert list elements to integers and use integer comparison. -real Convert list elements to floating-point values and use floating comparison. -command command Use command as a comparison command. To compare two elements, evaluate a Tcl script consisting of command with the two elements appended as additional arguments. The script should return an integer less than, equal to, or greater than zero if the first element is to be considered less than, equal to, or greater than the second, respectively. -increasing Sort the list in increasing order (``smallest'' items first). This is the default. -decreasing Sort the list in decreasing order (``largest'' items first). -index index If this option is specified, each of the elements of list must itself be a proper Tcl sublist. Instead of sorting based on whole sublists, lsort will extract the index'th element from each sublist and sort based on the given element. The keyword end is allowed for the index to sort on the last sublist element, and end-index sorts on a sublist element | offset from the end. For example, lsort -integer -index 1 {{First 24} {Second 18} {Third 30}} returns {Second 18} {First 24} {Third 30}, and | lsort -index end-1 {{a 1 e i} {b 2 3 f g} {c 4 5 6 d h}} | returns {c 4 5 6 d h} {a 1 e i} {b 2 3 f g}. This option is much more efficient than using -command to achieve the same effect. -unique If this option is specified, then only the last set of duplicate elements found in the list will be retained. Note that duplicates are determined relative to the comparison used in the sort. Thus if -index 0 is used, {1 a} and {1 b} would be considered duplicates and only the second element, {1 b}, would be retained. NOTES
The options to lsort only control what sort of comparison is used, and do not necessarily constrain what the values themselves actually are. This distinction is only noticeable when the list to be sorted has fewer than two elements. The lsort command is reentrant, meaning it is safe to use as part of the implementation of a command used in the -command option. EXAMPLES
Sorting a list using ASCII sorting: % lsort {a10 B2 b1 a1 a2} B2 a1 a10 a2 b1 Sorting a list using Dictionary sorting: % lsort -dictionary {a10 B2 b1 a1 a2} a1 a2 a10 b1 B2 Sorting lists of integers: % lsort -integer {5 3 1 2 11 4} 1 2 3 4 5 11 % lsort -integer {1 2 0x5 7 0 4 -1} -1 0 1 2 4 0x5 7 Sorting lists of floating-point numbers: % lsort -real {5 3 1 2 11 4} 1 2 3 4 5 11 % lsort -real {.5 0.07e1 0.4 6e-1} 0.4 .5 6e-1 0.07e1 Sorting using indices: % # Note the space character before the c % lsort {{a 5} { c 3} {b 4} {e 1} {d 2}} { c 3} {a 5} {b 4} {d 2} {e 1} % lsort -index 0 {{a 5} { c 3} {b 4} {e 1} {d 2}} {a 5} {b 4} { c 3} {d 2} {e 1} % lsort -index 1 {{a 5} { c 3} {b 4} {e 1} {d 2}} {e 1} {d 2} { c 3} {b 4} {a 5} Stripping duplicate values using sorting: % lsort -unique {a b c a b c a b c} a b c More complex sorting using a comparison function: % proc compare {a b} { set a0 [lindex $a 0] set b0 [lindex $b 0] if {$a0 < $b0} { return -1 } elseif {$a0 > $b0} { return 1 } return [string compare [lindex $a 1] [lindex $b 1]] } % lsort -command compare {{3 apple} {0x2 carrot} {1 dingo} {2 banana}} {1 dingo} {2 banana} {0x2 carrot} {3 apple} SEE ALSO
lappend(n), lindex(n), linsert(n), list(n), llength(n), lrange(n), lreplace(n), lsearch(n) KEYWORDS
element, list, order, sort Tcl 8.3 lsort(n)