Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Questions regarding CPU cores vs rctl limit Post 303034884 by solaris_1977 on Wednesday 8th of May 2019 05:33:19 PM
Old 05-08-2019
Questions regarding CPU cores vs rctl limit

Hi,

I am trying to gather cpu core details and used this script - Solaris & Scripting: Script - Find cpu - model / type / count / core / thread / speed - Solaris Sparc
For auuditing purpose, we want to know how many cores are being used by Oracle, because oracle license will be charged on number of cores.

Oracle is running on one of the zone (out of 17 non-global zones) and it is supposed to use 1 core only, but looks like it is not configured correct. Below is the output from global as well as zone
Code:
CPU Model is : Intel(r)
CPU Type is : i386
Total number of physical processors: 2
Number of virtual processors: 16
Total number of cores: 8
Number of cores per physical processor: 4
Number of hardware threads (strands or vCPUs) per core: 2
Processor speed: 3067 MHz (3.06 GHz)

What is significance of limit=1 in this output from zonecfg ?
Code:
rctl:
        name: zone.cpu-shares
        value: (priv=privileged,limit=1,action=none)

Only one zone is having limit=2 and rest all 16 zones are having limit=1. Will it not be restrcing cores anbd Oracle should see and charged only for one core ?

Please suggest

Thanks

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a way to make bash [or another shell] use all CPU cores to execute a single script?

I wrote a very simple script that matches combinations of alphabetic characters (1-5). I want to use it to test CPU speeds of different hardware/platforms. The problem is that on multi-core/processor systems, only one CPU is being utilized to execute the script. Is there a way to change that?... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: ph0enix
16 Replies

2. Red Hat

Lost CPU CORES

Hey all, dmidecode | grep -i CPU Socket Designation: CPU 0 Version: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5530 @ 2.40GHz Socket Designation: CPU 1 Version: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5530 @ 2.40GHz cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -i cpu cpu family : 6... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmokros
24 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to run two unix/linux programs on two different cpu cores

Hi folks, I want to know how to run two unix programs on two different cpu cores on a 2-core or 4-core or 8-core CPU machine? Extending this how would i run four and eight unix programs on 4-core and 8-core machine respectively? If this can be done, how to know which program is assigned to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

Perl script limit cpu usage

Hi Experts, I am executing multiple instances(in parallel) of perl script on HP-UX box. OS is allocating substantial amount of CPU to these perl processes,resulting higher cpu utilization. Glance always shows perl processes are occupying majority of the CPU resource. It is causing slower... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sai_2507
2 Replies

5. Solaris

CPU/processor/cores in M4000

Hi Gurus Can someone help me in explaining the below outputs . psrinfo -p 4 /usr/sbin/psrinfo -pv The physical processor has 4 virtual processors (0-3) SPARC64-VI (portid 1024 impl 0x6 ver 0x93 clock 2150 MHz) The physical processor has 4 virtual processors (8-11) SPARC64-VI... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ningy
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Numbers-of-cpu-cores-in-Solaris-10

Hello All, How do I find the number of CPU's, virtual processors in solaris 10? Thank you Sunil Kumar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msgforsunil
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Cpu, memory - limit by user

Hi all ! I'm new in this site, so sorry if this question is into wrong place. How can I limit cpu/core and memory usage by user? System: RedHat Ent. Linux. 6.4 Tks, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tiago
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

CPU and Cores information

Hi all. I have a question about linux command to find number of CPU and Core. I usually use the command dmidecode -t processor to find cpu and core numbers . On this machine with Red Hat 4. 0 when I try to insert the command is returned the error -bash: dmidecode: command not found I try to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: piccolinomax
8 Replies
CPUPOWER-SET(1) 						  cpupower Manual						   CPUPOWER-SET(1)

NAME
cpupower-set - Set processor power related kernel or hardware configurations SYNOPSIS
cpupower set [ -b VAL ] [ -s VAL ] [ -m VAL ] DESCRIPTION
cpupower set sets kernel configurations or directly accesses hardware registers affecting processor power saving policies. Some options are platform wide, some affect single cores. By default values are applied on all cores. How to modify single core configura- tions is described in the cpupower(1) manpage in the --cpu option section. Whether an option affects the whole system or can be applied to individual cores is described in the Options sections. Use cpupower info to read out current settings and whether they are supported on the system at all. Options --perf-bias, -b Sets a register on supported Intel processore which allows software to convey its policy for the relative importance of performance versus energy savings to the processor. The range of valid numbers is 0-15, where 0 is maximum performance and 15 is maximum energy efficiency. The processor uses this information in model-specific ways when it must select trade-offs between performance and energy efficiency. This policy hint does not supersede Processor Performance states (P-states) or CPU Idle power states (C-states), but allows software to have influence where it would otherwise be unable to express a preference. For example, this setting may tell the hardware how aggressively or conservatively to control frequency in the "turbo range" above the explicitly OS-controlled P-state frequency range. It may also tell the hardware how aggressively it should enter the OS requested C- states. This option can be applied to individual cores only via the --cpu option, cpupower(1). Setting the performance bias value on one CPU can modify the setting on related CPUs as well (for example all CPUs on one socket), because of hardware restrictions. Use cpupower -c all info -b to verify. This options needs the msr kernel driver (CONFIG_X86_MSR) loaded. --sched-mc, -m [ VAL ] --sched-smt, -s [ VAL ] --sched-mc utilizes cores in one processor package/socket first before processes are scheduled to other processor packages/sockets. --sched-smt utilizes thread siblings of one processor core first before processes are scheduled to other cores. The impact on power consumption and performance (positiv or negativ) heavily depends on processor support for deep sleep states, fre- quency scaling and frequency boost modes and their dependencies between other thread siblings and processor cores. Taken over from kernel documentation: Adjust the kernel's multi-core scheduler support. Possible values are: 0 - No power saving load balance (default value) 1 - Fill one thread/core/package first for long running threads 2 - Also bias task wakeups to semi-idle cpu package for power savings SEE ALSO
cpupower-info(1), cpupower-monitor(1), powertop(1) AUTHORS
--perf-bias parts written by Len Brown <len.brown@intel.com> Thomas Renninger <trenn@suse.de> 22/02/2011 CPUPOWER-SET(1)