Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to repeat a character in a field if it's a single character? Post 303034533 by nengcheng on Sunday 28th of April 2019 04:55:26 AM
Old 04-28-2019
Thank you Singh, I will try it next time.

--- Post updated at 03:55 AM ---

Thank you, nezabudka it also worked for me.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

reading a single character in C

Can anyone help me????? My problem is that i want to read only one charcter from keyboard. Each time my program waits to press enter or ^d. I don't want that. As soon as i press a charcter it should proceed to next statement in program without pressing enter or ^d. please help... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alodha
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi single character change

I know this is strictly a programming forum - but I consider vi a programming enabler and the question relates to regex you'd use with awk/sed anyway.... I have a file which is 50,000+ lines long and need to change many many instances of word_word_word to be word+word+word where... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brett Taylor
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to remove single character from a line

Here is a sample code grep '903' -i user.txt | tail -2 | awk '{print $2}' | sed 's/B//g' the input file has data as such 903-xxx-xxxxB 903-xxx-xxxxB It is a dialer file i want to remove the "B" any help thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Iz3k34l
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

repeat character with printf

It's all in the subject. I try to figure out how to repeat a character a number of time with printf. For example to draw a line in a script output. Thks (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripat
13 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED: Can't Repeat Search Character in SED Output

I'm not sure if the problem I'm seeing is an artifact of sed or simply a beginner's mistake. Here's the problem: I want to add a zero-width space following each underscore between XML tags. For example, if I had the following xml: <MY_BIG_TAG>This_is_a_test</MY_BIG_TAG> It should look like... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rhetoric101
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of occurences of a character in a field defined by the character in another field

Hello, I have a text file with n lines in the following format (9 column fields): Example: contig00012 149606 G C 49 68 60 18 c$cccccacccccccccc^c I need to count the number of lower-case and upper-case occurences in column 9, respectively, of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: s052866
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace multiple occurances of same character with a single character.

Hi all, Greetings, I have the following scenario, The contents of main file are like : Unix|||||forum|||||||||||||||is||||||the||best so||||||be|||||on||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||it And i need the output in the following form: Unix=forum=is=the=best so=be=on=it ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipanchandra
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backspace to delete a single character

Hi I normally use backspace to delete a single on my local machine in cygwin. Now I am trying cygwin on a virtual machine and when I type 'backspace', instead of a single character being deleted, the entire word gets deleted. How do I change the settings for it? I read somewhere that I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a field with a character as per the field length

Hi all, I have a requirement to replace a field with a character as per the length of the field. Suppose i have a file where second field is of 20 character length. I want to replace second field with 20 stars (*). like ******************** As the field is not a fixed one, i want to do the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gani_85
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sed to repeat every character on same position from the upper line replacing whitespace

Hello is it possible with awk or sed to replace any white space with the previous line characters in the same position? I am asking this because the file I have doesn't always follow a pattern. For example the file I have is the result of a command to obtain windows ACLs: icacls C:\ /t... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nakaedu
5 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)