Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How do I assign the output of a command to a variable within a loop in bash? Post 303034015 by Corona688 on Tuesday 16th of April 2019 02:48:12 PM
Old 04-16-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by sankasu
In which case is there a possibility to evaluate the output of the command to another variable.
If your loop is behind a pipe, that would mean stuffing your entire loop inside $( ). Or storing the result in a temporary file.

This is just guessing though. This is a really common problem which we can't rule out without seeing more of your code.

Last edited by Corona688; 04-16-2019 at 04:03 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to assign an output to a variable

Hi, I am giving a grep command, and i am getting the output. i want to store it in a variable for eg a = grep '12345' /dir/1/2/log.txt ( the output is number) b= grep 'basic' /dir/1/2/log1.txt (in this case the output is character) so how to assign the output of grep to a variable ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasikaran
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it possible to re-assign the variable form the loop?

Good day, everyone! I've got a small problem with re-assigning the variable form the loop. What I'm trying to do is: #!/bin/bash/ VAR1="AAA" VAR2="BBB" VAR3="CCC" for WORD in VAR1 VAR2 VAR3; do $WORD="DDD" echo $WORD done :o That's the output and error messages: -bash:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nafanja
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign bash command to variable

Hi I am trying to write a function that needs to be able to assign the last run shell command to a variable. The actual command string itself not the exit code of the command. I am using the bash command recall ability to do this as follows: alias pb='ps | grep ash' ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moxy
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign command (with pipe) output to a variable

Hi , I would like to assign command (with pipe) output to a variable. The code is as follows. The goal of the code is to get the last folder folder with a particular name pattern. myDate=`ls | grep 2009 | tail -1` echo "myDate=" $myDate However, in the presence of the pipe, the code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeff_cen
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk output to bash variable

greetings all, I am have a heck of a time trying to accomplish a very simple thing. I have an array of "shortname<spaces>id" created from a dscl output. I want to assign shortname=word1 and id=word2. I have tried shortname=$(${textArray} | awk '{print $1}') - and get 'awk : cannot open... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: macnetdaemon
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Re-assign variable's value through which FOR LOOP loops

Hi, I've a requirement where I want to re-assign the value in the variable through which FOR LOOP loops. For e.g. Snippet of code --------------- for i in $var do echo $i >> $tempFile var=`echo $another_var | awk -F" " '{print $1}'` done I am re-assigning var so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

In bash script, how to assign output of a command to a variable while keeping tabs?

Hi, wondering if it's been asked before but didn't find matches from google. Basically I have this line: myvar=$(echo -e "a\tb") Now somehow the '\t' from the echo output gets replaced with white space and then stored in $myvar. It creates a problem for me later to use tab as delimiter to do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: birddie
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to assign command output to variable

Code set -x STATUS="0" echo $STATUS for i in `ls -ltr Report*|awk '{ print $9 }'` do if then flg = "`head -1 "$i" |cut -c 31-33`" echo `head -1 "$i" |cut -c 31-33` echo $flg if then echo "having Fun" STATUS="2" else echo "no Fun" fi fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Funkeydude
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign variable name through loop

Hi As bash does not support multidimensional arrays (?), I need some help with a problem. What I want to do is to assign variable names containing a counter in a loop . what I want to do is basically something like this: #!/bin/bash for i in {1..8}; do var$i = "some command" done... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tobbev
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to get a loop variable from output of a command

Hi, I am trying to get a loop counter i and set its value as the ouput of a command: i=`printmo TEST1 | grep -i TEST2 | wc -l` Then I want to use i as counter to run a loop i number of times. Like if i gets a value of 5 I'll have to run loop 5 times. But will i here be a numeric... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
3 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)