Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to print last character of hostname and assign to a variable ? Post 303034006 by MadeInGermany on Tuesday 16th of April 2019 11:05:52 AM
Old 04-16-2019
Most if not all awk versions have length() default to $0.
So you can say length() and even length.
Likewise, in substr() the 3rd parameter defaults to "unlimited", so can be omitted here, because there is only 1 character left.
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

read and assign each character from the string to a variable

How... can I read input by a user character by cahracter. And assign each character from the string to a variable? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tek-E
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print the first four characters of hostname

Hey, I'm trying to print the first four characters of the hostname of a computer. I can get it from using: hostname -s | sed 's/...........$//'" but this is when I know how many characters are in the computer name. I dont understand why some like: hostname -s | sed '/..../p' wont... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yxian
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

print ip to hostname with array

Hi Anyone can help me??i writing a perl using array to translate ip address to the hostname my script are below.this line print "$myhost{$ipaddr}\n"; blank :mad:hostname dint come out:mad::mad: #!/usr/local/bin/perl @ipaddr=("192.1.168.2","172.25.1.13","129.1.2.5"); %myhost = { 192.1.168.2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: netxus
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

Dear All, we have a command output which looks like : Total 200 queues in 30000 Kbytes and we're going to get "200" and "30000" for further process. currently, i'm using : numA=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $2}' numB=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $5}' my question is : can I use just one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

read the text file and print the content character by character..

hello all i request you to give the solution for the following problem.. I want read the text file.and print the contents character by character..like if the text file contains google means..i want to print g go goo goog googl google like this Using unix Shell scripting... without using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samupnl
1 Replies

6. Programming

Unable to assign zero to unsigned character array

Hi, I am unable to assign value zero to my variable which is defined as unsigned char. typedef struct ABCD { unsigned char abc; unsigned char def; unsigned char ghi; } ABCD; typedef ABCD *PABCD; In my Por*C code, i assign the values using memcpy like below ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gthangav
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign a variable the nth character of a string.

I see a millioin ways to do this with echo, but what I wan to do is assign a variable the "nth" character of an incoming parameter to a ksh script. $1 will be "pia" I need to assign the first character to stmttype. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: klarue
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove a character and assign result to a variable

I am reading lines from a file that contain a number sign (#) before a three or four digit number: #1043 #677 I can remove the '#' and get just the number. However, I then want to assign that number to a variable and use it as part of a path further on in my program: /mydir/10/1043 for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KathyB148
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need to pass variable in a command and assign value to a variable

Hello All, Hope you're doing well ! I am trying below command to be passed in a shell script, header_date_14 is a variable and $1 is the name of a file I intend to pass as a command line argument, however command line argument is not being accepted. header_date_14=$(m_dump... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

I have the following script, and I want to assign the output ($10 and $5) from awk to N and L: grdinfo data.grd | awk '{print $10,$5}'| read N L output from gridinfo data.grd is: data.grd 50 100 41 82 -2796 6944 0.016 0.016 3001 2461. where N and L is suppose to be 3001 and 100. I use... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: geomarine
8 Replies
bytes(3perl)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					      bytes(3perl)

NAME
bytes - Perl pragma to force byte semantics rather than character semantics NOTICE
This pragma reflects early attempts to incorporate Unicode into perl and has since been superseded. It breaks encapsulation (i.e. it exposes the innards of how the perl executable currently happens to store a string), and use of this module for anything other than debugging purposes is strongly discouraged. If you feel that the functions here within might be useful for your application, this possibly indicates a mismatch between your mental model of Perl Unicode and the current reality. In that case, you may wish to read some of the perl Unicode documentation: perluniintro, perlunitut, perlunifaq and perlunicode. SYNOPSIS
use bytes; ... chr(...); # or bytes::chr ... index(...); # or bytes::index ... length(...); # or bytes::length ... ord(...); # or bytes::ord ... rindex(...); # or bytes::rindex ... substr(...); # or bytes::substr no bytes; DESCRIPTION
The "use bytes" pragma disables character semantics for the rest of the lexical scope in which it appears. "no bytes" can be used to reverse the effect of "use bytes" within the current lexical scope. Perl normally assumes character semantics in the presence of character data (i.e. data that has come from a source that has been marked as being of a particular character encoding). When "use bytes" is in effect, the encoding is temporarily ignored, and each string is treated as a series of bytes. As an example, when Perl sees "$x = chr(400)", it encodes the character in UTF-8 and stores it in $x. Then it is marked as character data, so, for instance, "length $x" returns 1. However, in the scope of the "bytes" pragma, $x is treated as a series of bytes - the bytes that make up the UTF8 encoding - and "length $x" returns 2: $x = chr(400); print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 1" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 400" { use bytes; # or "require bytes; bytes::length()" print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 2" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 198.144" } chr(), ord(), substr(), index() and rindex() behave similarly. For more on the implications and differences between character semantics and byte semantics, see perluniintro and perlunicode. LIMITATIONS
bytes::substr() does not work as an lvalue(). SEE ALSO
perluniintro, perlunicode, utf8 perl v5.14.2 2010-12-30 bytes(3perl)