Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Uppercase variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Uppercase variable Post 303033959 by wisecracker on Monday 15th of April 2019 10:18:24 AM
Old 04-15-2019
Hi all...

Bizarrely, I have switched from lowercase to uppercase for variables as they are easier to see straight away. The vast majority of tools/commands/utilities are lowercase and can _mingle_ with the variables visually whereas uppercase tend to stand out. I do pick names that are very literal and unlikely to coincide with those of the/any environment.

Examples: VERTICAL_GAIN and AUDIO_SAMPLE ...

On AudioScope I was _briefed_ about using back-ticks but they have long since gone, along with this, which is still valid on OSX 10.14.3's bash version, 3.2.57:
x=1; x=$[ ( x + 4 ) ]; echo "$x"<CR> ...
This User Gave Thanks to wisecracker For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

uppercase to lowercase

Greetings & Happy New Years To All! A client of mine FTP'ed their files up to the server and it all ended up being in UPPERCASE when it all should be in lowercase. Is there a builtin command or a script anyone knows of that will automagically convert all files to lowercase? Please advise asap... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: webex
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting to Uppercase

I want to convert string into uppercase string. How can i do that ? Ex: Enter the user name: read name show=upper(name) echo $show --- This output should be the uppercase output. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

make uppercase

If in a script I am taking an input (R201) for example and assigning it to a variable, how would I change the R to uppercase if it was keyed in as r201? I can't seem to get it to work with toupper (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kirkm76
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion to uppercase - tr

Hi, I am trying to convert the $i in loop from lower to upper case but getting error like ' awk: 0602-502 The statement cannot be correctly parsed. The source line is 1.' .. Requirement: I have many table in script XXX.sql which starting with 'ABC_','AbC_','aBc_' etc.. same thing for table... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subrat
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

only uppercase first character?

should be a simple question, I am trying to uppercase every first character in a word on the list. abc google cnn services My first thought was sed 'y/^/^/', but it changed all the characters, not just the first character. any thoughts? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
7 Replies

6. AIX

Lowercase to Uppercase

Inside a script I have 2 variables COMP=cy and PT=t. further down the same script I require at the same line to call those 2 variables the first time uppercase and after lowercase ${COMP}${PT}ACE,${COMP}${PT}ace. Can somebody help me Thanks in advance George Govotsis (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggovotsis
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uppercase to lowercase

i have no variable and no file i just want to convert AJIT to ajit with some command in UNIX can anybody help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajit.yadav83
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UPPERCASE to lowercase

Hi All, i have a file and i want to convert all uppercase letters to lowercase letters which are in my file. how can i do this. Thanx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: temhem
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change to uppercase

Hi I have a string(can be mix of upper and lower case) and need the first three chars of the string to be converted to uppercase (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Northpole
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uppercase to lowercase

Hello, I have a list of files in a directory whose names are all in uppercasse, including the file format for eg *.MP3 . I would like to convert these to the normal way we write it ie ABC.MP3 to be converted to Abc.mp3 . I know that this can be done manually by using a lot of "mv" or rename... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
6 Replies
pnmmontage(1)                                                 General Commands Manual                                                pnmmontage(1)

NAME
pnmmontage - create a montage of portable anymaps SYNOPSIS
pnmmontage [-?|-help] [-header=headerfile] [-quality=n] [-prefix=prefix] [-0|-1|-2|...|-9] pnmfile... DESCRIPTION
Packs images of differing sizes into a minimum-area composite image, optionally producing a C header file with the locations of the subim- ages within the composite image. OPTIONS
-?, -help Displays a (very) short usage message. -header Tells pnmmontage to write a C header file of the locations of the original images within the packed image. Each original image gen- erates four #defines within the packed file: xxxX, xxxY, xxxSZX, and xxxSZY, where xxx is the name of the file, converted to all uppercase. The #defines OVERALLX and OVERALLY are also produced, specifying the total size of the montage image. -prefix Tells pnmmontage to use the specified prefix on all of the #defines it generates. -quality Before attempting to place the subimages, pnmmontage will calculate a minimum possible area for the montage; this is either the total of the areas of all the subimages, or the width of the widest subimage times the height of the tallest subimage, whichever is greater. pnmmontage then initiates a problem-space search to find the best packing; if it finds a solution that is (at least) as good as the minimum area times the quality as a percent, it will break out of the search. Thus, -q 100 will find the best possible solution; however, it may take a very long time to do so. The default is -q 200. -0, -1, ... -9 These options control the quality at a higher level than -q; -0 is the worst quality (literally pick the first solution found), while -9 is the best quality (perform an exhaustive search of problem space for the absolute best packing). The higher the number, the slower the computation. The default is -5. NOTES
Using -9 is excessively slow on all but the smallest image sets. If the anymaps differ in maxvals, then pnmmontage will pick the smallest maxval which is evenly divisible by each of the maxvals of the original images. SEE ALSO
pnmcat(1), pnmindex(1), pnm(5), pam(5), pbm(5), pgm(5), ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 2000 by Ben Olmstead. 31 December 2000 pnmmontage(1)