Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How can i add each line from a txt file to different files in the same directory? Post 303033795 by RudiC on Thursday 11th of April 2019 05:25:27 PM
Old 04-11-2019
If your shell offers "extended pattern matching" with the extglob shell option, you could avoid the if construct in your loop:
Code:
shopt -s extglob
ls -la !(test)

will list all files in your current working directory except test.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List all files except *.txt in a directory

I have many types of files (Eg: *.log, *.rpt, *.txt, *.dat) in a directory. I want to display all file types except *.txt. What is the command to display all files except "*.txt" (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: apsprabhu
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking if the files in a directory have a txt extension

foreach file ($dir1/*) if ($file ~ *.txt) then echo "Skipping $file (is a txt file)" endif end that should work right guys? :confused: (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: pantelis
15 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving the files in a.txt files to a different directory

HI All, I am coding a shell script which will pick all the .csv files in a particular directoryand write it in to a .txt file, this .txt file i will use as a source in datastage for processing. now after the processing is done I have to move and archive all the files in the .txt file to a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhasri_2020
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

create txt file form data file and add some line on it

Hi Guys, I have file A.txt File A Data AK1521 AK2536 AK3164 I want create text file of all data above and write some data on each file. want Output on below folder /home/kka/out AK1521.txt Hi Welocme (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to append the date | abcddate.txt to the first line of my txt file

I want to add/append the info in the following format to my.txt file. 20130702|abcd20130702.txt FN|SN|DOB I tried the below script but it throws me some exceptions. <#!/bin/sh dt = date '+%y%m%d'members; echo $dt+|+members+$dt; /usr/bin/awk -f BEGIN { FS="|"; OFS="|"; } { print... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: harik1982
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to delete files line by line in .txt document

Friends, I am in need to delete files from a directory on a regular basis. I want to place all the files to be deleted in delete .txt file and require a script to delete files, line by line from this delete.txt file. Please help me with this script as am new to unix scripting. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fop4658
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save files in directory as txt

wget -x -i link.txt The above downloads and create unique entries for the 97 links in the text file. However, each new file is saved as CM080 with a FILE extention. Is there a way to convert each file in that directory to a .txt? The 97 files are in... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
12 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split Every Line In Txt Into Separate Txt File, Named Same As The Line

Hi All Is there a way to export every line into new txt file where by the title of each txt output are same as the line ? I have this txt files containing names: Kandra Vanhooser Rhona Menefee Reynaldo Hutt Houston Rafferty Charmaine Lord Albertine Poucher Juana Maes Mitch Lobel... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cpio all *.txt-files out of folders to just one directory

I need a hint for reading manpage (I did rtfm really) of cpio to do this task as in the headline described. I want to put all files of a certain type, lets say all *.txt files or any other format. Spread in more than hundreds of subdirectories in one directory I would like to select them and just... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
3 Replies
PWD(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    PWD(1)

NAME
pwd -- return working directory name SYNOPSIS
pwd [-LP] DESCRIPTION
The pwd utility writes the absolute pathname of the current working directory to the standard output. Some shells may provide a builtin pwd command which is similar or identical to this utility. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. The options are as follows: -L Display the logical current working directory. -P Display the physical current working directory (all symbolic links resolved). If no options are specified, the -P option is assumed. ENVIRONMENT
Environment variables used by pwd: PWD Logical current working directory. DIAGNOSTICS
The pwd utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. STANDARDS
The pwd utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). SEE ALSO
builtin(1), cd(1), csh(1), sh(1), getcwd(3) BUGS
In csh(1) the command dirs is always faster because it is built into that shell. However, it can give a different answer in the rare case that the current directory or a containing directory was moved after the shell descended into it. The -L option does not work unless the PWD environment variable is exported by the shell. BSD
February 4, 2002 BSD