Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Pass an array to awk to sequentially look for a list of items in a file Post 303033660 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 10th of April 2019 04:39:30 AM
Old 04-10-2019
In post #1, the labels in your sample input files were "train statistics" and "test statistics". In your latest code you have labels with underscores instead of spaces. You'll have to be sure your stats files and your labels match.

In post #3, you included a header line in your output; I don't see anything in your latest code that prints that header. And, unless each of your stats files contains all of the sets of statistics and includes them in the same order, what you have shown us will end up printing data for different sets of statistics under each other in the output with no indication of which set they came from. Do each of your stats files contain statistics from all of the possible sets of statistics and are each of those sets of statistics present in the same order in each stats file?

In your latest code you have:
Code:
# name of file being processed
STATS_FILE=$1
# file we are writing to
LOGFILE=$1

which sets both your input file and your output file to be the same input parameter. I'm about 99% sure that isn't what you want.

The cat in your code isn't helping and seems to be working against you. I think you're going to want to end up with something more like:
Code:
... ... ...

# file we are writing to
LOGFILE=$1
# The rest of the operands are stats files we need to read.
shift

awk -v labels="$LABELS" '
    ... ... ...
' "$@" > "$LOGFILE"

Do you want your output fields to be tab separated, or do you want your output fields to be in aligned columns? Note that since your field headers vary in width from 6 characters (e.g., "test_n" to more than 9 characters (e.g. " train_MdAE" and your statistics data all fit in less than 8 characters, the two choices are mutually exclusive. (I.e., you can't have both.)
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass array variabel to awk from shell

Hi I need to pass an array to Awk script from Shell. Can you please tell how to do it? How to pass this array add_ct_arr to an awk script or access it in awk? i=1 while ; do add_ct_arr=$(echo ${adda_count} | awk -v i=$i -F" " '{print $i;}') echo ${add_ct_arr} ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: appsguy616
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

hw to insert array values sequentially in a file

Hi All :), I am very new to unix. I am requiring ur help in developing shell script for below problem. I have to replace the second field of file with values of array sequentially where first field is ValidateKeepVar <File> UT-ExtractField 1 | &LogEntry &Keep(DatatoValidate)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohiiit.sharma
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk between items including items

OS=HP-UX ksh The following works, except I want to include the <start> and <end> in the output. awk -F '<start>' 'BEGIN{RS="<end>"; OFS="\n"; ORS=""} {print $2} somefile.log' The following work in bash but not in ksh sed -n '/^<start>/,/^<end>/{/LABEL$/!p}' somefile.log (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ikon
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass awk array variable to shell

Hi, all suppose I have following myfile (delimited by tab) aa bb cc dd ee ffand I have following awk command: awk 'BEGIN{FS="\t"}{AwkArrayVar_1=$1;AwkArrayVar_2=$2};END{for(i=0; i<NR; i++) print i, AwkArrayVar_1, AwkArrayVar_2,}' myfileMy question is: how can I assign the awk array... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: littlewenwen
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] awk command to read sequentially from a file until last record

Hello, I have a file that looks like this: Generated geometry (...some special descriptor) 1 0.56784 1.45783 -0.87965 8 1.29873 -0.8767 1.098789 ... ... ... ... Generated geometry (....come special descriptor) ... .... ... ... ... ... ... ... and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaldo0805
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass an array containing file names to a sftp script?

hi, i want to pass an array parameters to a sftp script so that i can transfer each file in the array to the remote server by connecting only once to the sftp remote server. i thought of using a variable that contains list of file names separated by a space and pass the variable to the sftp... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split list of files into an array and pass to function

There are two parts to this. In the first part I need to read a list of files from a directory and split it into 4 arrays. I have done that with the following code, # collect list of file names STATS_INPUT_FILENAMES=($(ls './'$SET'/'$FOLD'/'*'in.txt')) # get number of files... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to delete items in an array from a file

I need to create a shell script to delete multiple items (Strings) at a time from a file. I need to iterate through a list of strings. My plan is to create an array and then iterate through the array. My code is not working #!/bin/bash -x declare -a array=(one, two, three, four)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a lis, find items in a file from the list, change each item

Hello, I have some tab delimited text data, file: final_temp1 aname val NAME;r'(1,) 3.28584 r'(2,)<tab> NAME;r'(3,) 6.13003 NAME;r'(4,) 4.18037 r'(5,)<tab> You can see that the data is incomplete in some cases. There is a trailing tab after the first column for each incomplete row. I... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to process a list of items and uncomment lines with that item in a second file

Hello, I have a src code file where I need to uncomment many lines. The lines I need to uncomment look like, C CALL l_r(DESNAME,DESOUT, 'Gmax', ESH(10), NO_APP, JJ) The comment is the "C" in the first column. This needs to be deleted so that there are 6 spaces preceding "CALL".... (7 Replies)
7 Replies
TZSELECT(8)						    Linux System Administration 					       TZSELECT(8)

NAME
tzselect - select a timezone SYNOPSIS
tzselect DESCRIPTION
The tzselect program asks the user for information about the current location, and outputs the resulting timezone description to standard output. The output is suitable as a value for the TZ environment variable. All interaction with the user is done via standard input and standard error. EXIT STATUS
The exit status is zero if a timezone was successfully obtained from the user, nonzero otherwise. ENVIRONMENT
AWK Name of a Posix-compliant awk program (default: awk). TZDIR Name of the directory containing timezone data files (default: /usr/share/zoneinfo). FILES
TZDIR/iso3166.tab Table of ISO 3166 2-letter country codes and country names. TZDIR/zone.tab Table of country codes, latitude and longitude, TZ values, and descriptive comments. TZDIR/TZ Time zone data file for timezone TZ. SEE ALSO
tzfile(5), zdump(8), zic(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.55 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. 2007-05-18 TZSELECT(8)