Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: LM 19.1 from pendrive
Operating Systems Linux LM 19.1 from pendrive Post 303033517 by jake19 on Sunday 7th of April 2019 10:27:50 AM
Old 04-07-2019
Corona688, he's been told this a bunch of times on other forums, and doesn't seem to listen. The link he tried to post was to mkusb, which he was told about 6 times. Doesn't seem to sink in for him that slow media is slow, and he seems to think Mint was designed to be used from USB with no issues. And if I've read their other forum threads right, theyve been using the same USB stick for YEARS now, just reformatting. Telling them about bad cells and flash drive life doesn't sink in either.

You can use mkusb (and other tools) to actually install to a thumbdrive, and partition it. But why bother? There are actual distros like puppy and tails that are made to run like that, so they run faster. Mint ain't one of them.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

helo how to mount pendrive on redhat 9

helo my sysem is running on redhat 9. now i want to take data from redhat 9 pc to pen drive. but when i plug it it is not detected. can u tell me how to mount pendrive on redhat9. amit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

boot from a pendrive

Can anybody explane 'How to boot from a pendrive' ?Is it possible to load Operating System from a pendrive----? How? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ajith kumar.G
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files unto a usb pendrive/external disk from Solaris 9

Hi all, Can anybody help me with how I can connect a usb pendrive or external disk to a Sun Server which runs on Solaris 9? I am able to connect the usb drive to a windows server easily and copy files but am wondering if it is possible to do that with Solaris. Any help will be appreciated. thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahmantanko
3 Replies

4. SCO

mount the pendrive on the unixware 7.1.4

please let me know how to mount the pendrive on the unixware (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepthi.s
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to acces my pendrive in linux

Hi Gurus, in linux I am unable to access my pendrive(i am even not seeing the icon or location for my pendrive ). Please anyany could help me to get rid of this issue. regards, Sanjay :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay.login
4 Replies

6. Slackware

Which USB pendrive image to install Slackware on an old AMD K6 3D ?

Holla, I have been trying to install a recent distro, with a minimum X such as jwm, but unfortunately my cdrom is broken and I can only boot the USB port, with a pendrive. AMD K6 3D is today too old for being for linux. Is there an image of slackware than runs that processor and that can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raptor34
5 Replies
install(1)						      General Commands Manual							install(1)

NAME
install - Installs a command SYNOPSIS
install [-sS] [-c targetdir] [-g group] [-m mode] [-u owner] file [searchdir...] install [-osS] [-f targetdir] [-g group] [-m mode] [-u owner] file [searchdir...] install [-g group] [-iosS] [-m mode] [-n targetdir] [-u owner] file [searchdir...] install [-g group] [-MosS] [-m mode] [-u owner] file [searchdir...] The install command installs file in a specific place within a file system. It is most often used in makefiles. OPTIONS
Installs file in targetdir only if there is not already a copy there. If there is a copy of file in targetdir, the command issues a mes- sage to that effect and exits without overwriting the file. This option can be used alone or with the -g, -m, -s, -S, or -u options. Forces installation of file in targetdir even if a copy already exists there. If there is already a copy of file in targetdir, the command sets the new copy's mode and owner to those of the old copy. If there is not already a copy of file in targetdir, the command sets the mode to 755 and the owner to bin. This option can be used alone or with the -g, -m, -o, -s, -S, or -u options. Specifies a group other than bin for the destination file. Ignores the default directory search list. Searches for the file to be installed only in the directo- ries specified on the command line (searchdir ...). This option cannot be used with the -c, -f, or -M options. Moves file to targetdir instead of copying it. This option cannot be used with the -c, -f, -i, or -n options. Specifies a mode other than 755 for the destination file. Installs file in targetdir if there is no copy in any of the searched directories (searchdir ...). Sets the mode of the file to 755 and the owner to bin. This option cannot be used with the -c, -f, or -M options. Saves the old copy of file by renaming it OLDfile and leaving it in the directory where it was found. This option cannot be used with the -c option. Specifies an owner other than bin for the destination file. Suppresses the display of all but error messages. Causes the binary to be stripped after installation; see strip(1). DESCRIPTION
The install command copies (or moves) file into the appropriate directory, retaining the owner and permissions of the existing copy, if any. A newly created file has permission code 755, owner bin, and group bin. The install command writes a message telling you which files it is replacing or creating and where they are going. If you supply no options or search directories (searchdir ...), the install command searches the /bin, /usr/bin, /etc, /lib, and /usr/lib directories in that order for a file with the same name as file. The command overwrites the first matching file with file and issues a message indicating that it has done so. If no match is found, the command tells you and exits without taking further action. If any search directories (searchdir ...) are specified on the command line, the install command searches them before it searches the default directories. EXAMPLES
To replace a command that already exists in one of the default directories, enter: install fixit This replaces the file fixit if it is found in the /bin, /usr/bin, /etc, /lib, or /usr/lib directory. Otherwise, the file fixit is not installed. For example, if /usr/bin/fixit exists, then this file is replaced by a copy of the file fixit in the current direc- tory. To replace a command that already exists in a specified or default directory while preserving the old version, enter: install -o fixit /etc /usr/games This replaces the file fixit if it is found in the /etc or /usr/games directory, or in one of the default directories. Otherwise, the file fixit is not installed. If the file is replaced, the old version is preserved by renaming it OLDfixit in the directory in which it was found. To replace a command that already exists in a specified directory, enter: install -i fixit /u/judith/bin /u/bernice/bin /usr/games This replaces the file fixit if it is found in the /u/judith/bin, /u/bernice/bin, or /usr/games directory. Otherwise, the file is not installed. To replace a command found in a default directory, or install it in a specified directory if it is not found, enter: install -n /usr/bin fixit This replaces the file fixit if it is found in one of the default directories. If the file is not found, it is installed as /usr/bin/fixit. To install a new command, enter: install -c /usr/bin fixit This creates a new command by installing a copy of the fixit file as /usr/bin/fixit, but only if this file does not already exist. To install a command in a specified directory whether or not it already exists, enter: install -f /usr/bin -o -s fixit This forces the fixit file to be installed as /usr/bin/fixit whether or not /usr/bin/fixit already exists. The old version, if any, is preserved by renaming it to /usr/bin/OLDfixit (a result of the -o option). The messages that tell where the new command was installed are suppressed (a result of the -s option). SEE ALSO
Commands: chgrp(1), chmod(1), chown(1), cp(1), installbsd(1), make(1), mv(1), strip(1) install(1)