Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Nohup with ampersand & process gets disconnected Post 303033391 by MadeInGermany on Thursday 4th of April 2019 01:58:25 PM
Old 04-04-2019
Portability: /bin/sh is present on every *X OS. (Well, SCO Unix and an old HP-UX might need the workaround ${1+"$@"} for a historic bug with "$@".)
It works with any compatible shell, too.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

nohup process hangs

Hi All, I tried searching for this, but I have yet to find anything useful. So here goes, if a script executed from another script with nohup & hangs, does it affect the parent script? Reason I ask, we have a windows box with NFS, and we use it to store some of our files. Currently, I mount the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sully
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

pid of nohup process

I want to print the pid of a nohup process to a file so later I can use the list of pid's in that file to stop the background processes again. I use ksh on AIXv5.3: nohup /start/script.ksh 1>/dev/null 2>&1 print $$ > .pid nohup /start/script2.ksh 1>/dev/null 2>&1 print $$ >> .pid But... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

nohup and background process

What is the difference between running a process using nohup and running a process in background ? Please explain (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srksn
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute Script using nohup and &

Hi all, I have one script test.sh for which I pass two arguments. In the same script I need to submit this script in background using nohup. My script like this and it is working in HP-UX os but not Solaris. #! /bin/sh if then MTR_PID=$$ export MTR_PID echo "test.sh $1 $2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridhar_423
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

nohup & mpiexec problems

Hi everyone - I'm trying to start a run of LAMMPS (which takes an input file) with mpiexec on multiple processors. I want to combine this with nohup so that I can log off the node. I've used the syntax below successfully on one cluster, but it doesn't work on the new one I'm using. Any... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: erin85
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding ampersand (&) usage in the command

Please explain the usage of ampersand in the following command who & echo "Total number of users are `who|wc -l`" What I understand is that ampersand is used to run some process in the background. And, what I am expecting from this command is "Output of who should be displayed on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shan_u2005
2 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

nohup and & versus functions

when i have a function definition and function call in my script , i am unable to run my script in background with nohup.. Help me out please..... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venugopalsmartb
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Running process in nohup

Hi All, I am facing issue in running a process in nohup. I ran a process in terminal since it is taking too long to complete I need to make it as background and nohup. I tried below and was able to make it in back ground 1. Cntrl + Z 2. bg I am using Korn Shell so disown is not working... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between & and nohup &

Hi All, Can anyone please help me understanding what the difference between the below two? 1. script.sh & 2. nohup script.sh & (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with ampersand (&) in sed command

Hello everybody, I have a Problem with sed command. I want to replace a defined string with a string from a database field (dynamic). e.g. sed -i -e 's/%NAME%/'"$HNAME"'/g' The Problem is that the $HNAME variable can contain Special characters like '&' e.g. HNAME="AH Kruger & Co. KG" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bambuti2000
1 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/ksh93, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/ksh93, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh, and /usr/sfw/bin/zsh. /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells could cause unexpected behavior, such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1). FILES
/etc/shells list of shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.11 20 Nov 2007 shells(4)