Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Maxuproc parameter and number of processes Post 303033193 by trifo75 on Monday 1st of April 2019 09:35:59 AM
Old 04-01-2019
Thanks for the replies. Well, trying to be more specific.

There is an MQ server running on the host, running ps -ef at any time shows about 90 lines of output. This is quite normal, including the processes belonging to AIX itself, the MQ server and the monitoring scripts (5 maximum at any given moment).

This morning I found that the output of ps -ef shows just the same amount of processes as it usually does. Most of them remain live for an extended period, thus every app that succeeded to connect earlyer, is able to use the service. New connections cannot be created - new connections in this configuration implies new processes to handle a client.

Also I am unable to run any command that is not setuid root.

Now, raising the maxuproc value from 4096 to 5000 seems to solve the problem. Well, there is not a single user in the system trying to run 4000 processes, as I see 90 processes altogether. Why?

Couple of hours later the problem is showing up again the same way. Raising the maxuproc again solves the problem. Well, seems solving. Something is accumulating in the background and I do not see what that might be. So, when I run into this maxuproc problem, and maxuproc is set to 4096, then I would like to see thet something is really 4096. What kind of objects are counted? entries in process table? Threads? Or what else.

Well, I know how to list user parameters .

The relevant parameters of the relevant user are:
Code:
        fsize=2097151
        cpu=-1
        data=262144
        stack=65536
        core=2097151
        rss=65536
        nofiles=2000

Well, yes, maybe I was on a wrong track and the limit was not the number of processes, but some other limit. In this case my question is, why did the raise of maxuproc suppress the problem?

--Trifo

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 04-01-2019 at 10:55 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to find number of processes ?

Hi , I need to count all processes contains the pattren "FND" For Example: I was reteriving the details of all processes related to "FND" by this command $ ps -ef | grep FND but now I just wanna count them . Regards Adel (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ArabOracle.com
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

checking if parameter passed is a number

I have written a function that fills an array and another function where if a parameter is supplied it will jump to that part of the array and cat it to the screen. I need to put in some checks to make sure the parameter supplied is firstly a number and then not a number great than the length of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnia
2 Replies

3. Programming

How to limit the number of child processes

I need a mechanism to fork child processes and all child processes should connect to a server.but the number of child processes should be limited(for ex:50) Here's my pseudo, but I cant figure out how to limit the child process number. Should I use a semaphore? or what? for(;;)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyzt
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic number of parameter

Hi all Is there away to create a script with dynamic number of parameter.. like the kill command in UNIX kill -9 xxx xxx cheers (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: co0oly
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Control Number of Processes Running

Hi Is there a way to count how many processes a script has started, count how many of these have finished, and make the script wait if their difference goes over a given threshold? I am using a script to repeatedly execute a code (~100x) which converts 2 data files into one .plt which is in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbones
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check parameter is number or string

Hey I'm new in linux, I'm looking for a code to check whether the parameter is a number or a string. I have already tried this code: eerste=$(echo $1 | grep "^*$">aux) if But it doesn't work.:confused: Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eclecticaa
2 Replies

7. AIX

Maximum number of processes kernel parameter

Hi, Is there a maximum number of processes kernel parameter in AIX. Solaris has max_nprocs, HP-UX has nproc, I can only find max user process (maxuproc) for AIX. Thanks, Wilson. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsonee
3 Replies

8. AIX

Maxuproc vs ulimit -u [processes(per user)]

Morning, Somebody can tell me in AIX 6.1 what is the different between the maxuproc (lsattr -El sys0 | grep max) and the for a user. Example: Oracle is limited by : #ulimit -u processes(per user) unlimited But lsattr -El sys0| grep maxuproc show me : maxuproc 16384 So... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bacup540
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maxuproc and limit

// AIX 6.1 & Power 7 server I have maxuproc set to 16384. lsattr -El sys0 -a maxuproc maxuproc 16384 Maximum number of PROCESSES allowed per user True What is the maximum number of maxuproc we can go for? If I increase maxuproc to the higher number, what would be ramifications? I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Increase maxuproc value

Hi Guys, I am running RHEL6 and now my processes reach maximum limit. How do I increase the maxuproc value? Can I increase the value without rebooting the server? Thanks in advance... Please Help!!! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
5 Replies
FORK(2) 							System Calls Manual							   FORK(2)

NAME
fork - create a new process SYNOPSIS
pid = fork() int pid; DESCRIPTION
Fork causes creation of a new process. The new process (child process) is an exact copy of the calling process except for the following: The child process has a unique process ID. The child process has a different parent process ID (i.e., the process ID of the parent process). The child process has its own copy of the parent's descriptors. These descriptors reference the same underlying objects, so that, for instance, file pointers in file objects are shared between the child and the parent, so that an lseek(2) on a descriptor in the child process can affect a subsequent read or write by the parent. This descriptor copying is also used by the shell to establish standard input and output for newly created processes as well as to set up pipes. The child processes resource utilizations are set to 0; see setrlimit(2). RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, fork returns a value of 0 to the child process and returns the process ID of the child process to the parent process. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned to the parent process, no child process is created, and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
Fork will fail and no child process will be created if one or more of the following are true: [EAGAIN] The system-imposed limit on the total number of processes under execution would be exceeded. This limit is configuration- dependent. [EAGAIN] The system-imposed limit MAXUPRC (<sys/param.h>) on the total number of processes under execution by a single user would be exceeded. [ENOMEM] There is insufficient swap space for the new process. SEE ALSO
execve(2), wait(2) 3rd Berkeley Distribution May 22, 1986 FORK(2)