Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: IBM AIX console pseries
Operating Systems AIX IBM AIX console pseries Post 303032878 by bakunin on Monday 25th of March 2019 06:30:25 PM
Old 03-25-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by filosophizer
1- Do I need to have the console connected during the boot process ?
No. A "console" in UNIX speech is just a terminal, save for that it is attached directly (no network in between) to the system. One common security feature is to allow root to directly login only through the console, so that logging in directly as root needs a physical access to the system in question. So, the console is like the "main" terminal, but in every other regard it is just like any other terminal.

Quote:
2- The console previously was graphics card LFT0 and now changed to TTY0
Well, look here:

Quote:
Code:
lai0       Defined   1a-00         GXT135P Graphics Adapter
lai1       Defined   1a-08         GXT135P Graphics Adapter
lft0       Defined                 Low Function Terminal Subsystem

The graphics adapters that were there once are simply not there any more. Either they are both broken and the system cannot configure them even so much that they are recognized (one might have become dysfunctional that way but two at the same time is improbable) or they have been removed from the system. Delete these devices (rmdev) and run cfgmgr and i suppose they will not resurface. "Defined" means the defiitions for the adapter are still in the ODM but the device isn't there any more. It it would be then it would be "available".

This seems to be a rather old hardware (i remember having two GXT135P adapters in a R/6000 Model 43P-140), so it should have a serial connector. Attach a serial console to it and start with that. Note that at some point (i don't remember exactly when) the serial characteristics went from 9600, 8,1,N to 19200, 8,1,N, so if you have no luck with 9600 baud try 19200.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing AIX 4.3, pseries

I'm new with UNIX, i have a pseries server from IBM and i need to install AIX 4.3, i never used wyse terminal or AIX, i need help to know how to install it, i have the server and the wyse i get in into the aixterm, over com1 but i don't know wich command use or what to do to install it..... ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Juan-ito
0 Replies

2. AIX

No Graphics Output in pSeries, AIX 5.3

Hi All -- I have an old 7028-6C1 which I'm using to learn AIX. The system didn't include a graphics card, so I connected via the serial port and performed a fresh install of AIX 5L V5.3. Later, I purchased a GXT135P (2849) graphics card, and added it to the system. When I ran diag, I was able... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i386tech
2 Replies

3. AIX

new IBM pseries and new disks

Hello Gurus, i'm quite new person in AIX world, actually i'm SAP consultant. But due to my job faced with AIX. Trying to configure new server for installation SAP. We have 4 disks one of them (hdisk3) has VG rootvg. How i can extend rootvg with another disk? i tried: # extendvg rootvg hdisk0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sapbcer
2 Replies

4. Linux

Why does they use Linux on IBM pSeries

Anyone can help me answer the question. Why does they use Linux on IBM pSeries not AIX. I can't understand why, cause AIX is the best supporting from IBM pSeries. Tks you. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: quan0509
3 Replies

5. AIX

IBM pSeries Power5 9111-285 1,9 GHz

Hi , I am planing to buy IBM pSeries Power5 9111-285 1,9 GHz but I am confused with few things. I would be happy if you could clear it up for me ? 1.Do I have to buy some license in order to create Lpars ? 2.Do I have to buy some license in order to use HMC , micro - partiocioning , VIOS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phobus
4 Replies

6. AIX

IBM AIX on IBM Eseries & x series server

Hi, I want to know whether IBM AIX can be installed on the IBM e series and x series server hardware? Thanks & Regards Arun (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun.Kakarla
2 Replies

7. AIX

IBM Power Pseries Open Firmware boot / VIOS POWERVM VET CODE

Hello, I installed PowerVM IVM Virtual I/O on P-550 but later found out that the machine isn't activated for CoD VET code for virtualization. So when booted , it goes into OPEN Firmware I/O Hosting requires a hosting partition boot not permitted exit called > ok Panel shows > IO... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
3 Replies

8. AIX

IBM's pSeries 570 vs a 520 vs 550

Hidey Ho Folks, Looking to buy a pServer for playing around with the IBM side of things. Looked around for a bit and notice that there is a significant price gap for the used 570's (Single Units) vs the 520's and 550's that folks are selling. Curious what to watch out for in either case? And... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
6 Replies

9. AIX

AIX pseries install

Hello, I'm very rookie to AIX and attempting to install AIX. I have vio ready on the machine and don't know how to install OS? Inserted Volume 1 DVD into the ROM, don't know what to do next. Searched many forum but cant find the this basic thing. Please let me know how to install AIX on this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjeedu2247
4 Replies

10. AIX

IBM Virtual Machine OS on intel x86 and x64? IBM AIX OS on IBM Virtual Machine?

Hi There, I have zero information and zero knowledge for IBM virtual machine except Amazon cloud and VMware ESXi (Only Linux OS available). Anyone could provide me the following answer - Can IBM VM been deploy on X86 and X64 (Intel Chip)? If answer is yes any chance to deploy AIX OS... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: chenyung
13 Replies
pdc(1M) 																   pdc(1M)

NAME
pdc - processor-dependent code (firmware) DESCRIPTION
is the firmware that implements all processor-dependent functionality, including initialization and self-test of the processor. Upon com- pletion, it loads and transfers control to the initial system loader (isl(1M)). Firmware behavior varies somewhat, depending on the hard- ware as described below. To load from an external medium, must know the particular device on which resides. Typically the device is identified by the Primary Boot Path that is maintained by in Stable Storage. A path specification is an I/O subsystem mnemonic that varies according to hardware model. When the processor is reset after initialization and self-test complete, reads the Console Path from Stable Storage, and attempts to ini- tialize the console device. If the initialization fails, attempts to find and initialize a console device. Algorithms used to find a con- sole device are model-dependent. then announces the Primary Boot, Alternate Boot, and Console Paths. If (see isl(1M)) is enabled, provides a 10-second delay, during which time the operator can override the sequence by typing any character on the console. If the operator does not interrupt this process, initializes and reads from the Primary Boot Path. On models that support autosearch, if this path is not valid and (see isl(1M)) is enabled, then searches to find a bootable medium. If allowed to complete, a list of potentially bootable devices is displayed, labeled with abbreviated path identifiers (P0, P1, etc). A simple menu is then displayed where the user can: o Boot a specific device, using the abbreviated path identifier, or the full mnemonic. o Start a device search where the contents are searched for IPL images (note the first search only identified devices and did not check the contents). o Enter the boot administration level. o Exit the menu and return to autobooting o Get help on choices If the sequence is unsuccessful, overridden by the operator, or not enabled in the first place, interactively prompts the operator for the Boot Path to use. Any required path components that are not supplied default to zero. The Primary Boot, Alternate Boot, and Console Paths as well as and enable can be modified via SEE ALSO
boot(1M), isl(1M). PA-RISC Systems Only pdc(1M)