Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Orienting select choices vertically Post 303032553 by apmcd47 on Wednesday 20th of March 2019 10:22:54 AM
Old 03-20-2019
select appears to take note of the LINES and COLUMNS variables set on terminal resize. Try adding
Code:
COLUMNS=0

into your code prior to the select statement.

Andrew
This User Gave Thanks to apmcd47 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print a horizontal word vertically.

Say I have the word: zinger I want to change it to print z i n g e r This is for a sorting algorithm that I am testing out. I will then use sort on the vertical and change it back to horizontal printing using tr. Once it is horizontal again, I can compare that sorted jumble... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JimJ
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending two files vertically

Hi Need ur help for the below question. I have two files File-1 & File-2. File-1(This is a fixed file i.e. the content of this file is not going to change over a period of time) ------ a b c d e File-2 (This is a file which changes daily but the record count remains the same)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 46019
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in reading a file horizontally and printing vertically

Hi Every body, I have file which has enttries, with each 5 entries as a set of entries, I would like to read the file (line by line) and print five entries of a set vertically, the next entry should come in the next line. Example: cat sample_file I am a Unix Adminsitrator new to shell... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aruveiv
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SQL output vertically aligned?

I used the SQL query (taken from other threads here) to get the expected values to be written into a file. myQuery=`sqlplus -s cr_appsrvr/appsrvr@qwi << EndofFile set heading off; set tab off; set wrap off; set pages 0; set feedback off; SELECT CLEARINGHOUSE_TRACE_NUM, INSURED_ID FROM... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swame_sp
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

array to choices .. lost

Hi Im' trying to output a list of files then make the list files as choices, need someone to give me hand. so far here is what i got.. a bit messy #!/bin/sh menu_str=`ls -1 file*` cnt=0 for i in $menu_str do menu_item=${i} cnt=$(($cnt+1)) echo $cnt echo ${menu_item } done ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenray
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting characters vertically

I do have a big file in the following format >A1 ATGCGG >A2 TCATGC >A3 -TGCTG The number of characters will be same under each subheader and only possible characters are A,T,G,C and - I want to count the number of A's, T's,G's, C's & -'s vertically for all the positions so that I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculation of column both horizontally and vertically

Hi ALL I have this data ail,UTT,id1_0,COMBO,21,24,21,19 al,UTHAST,id1_0,COMBO,342,390,361,361 dmo,UTST,id1_0,COMBO,21,15,22,23 vne,UAST,id1_0,COMBO,345,372,390,393 I wan the sum of column 5,6,7 & 8 both horizontal and vertical. There is one more prob the column keeps on increasing... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep Delimited Line and Display Vertically

Hello All, I am trying to take a colon-delimited line from a bunch of lines such as apple:green:5cents:CA apple:red:4cents:FL orange:green:6cents:HI ...and display it vertically with label prefixes such as the following; Fruit: apple Color: green Price: 5cents Origin: CA So... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: techieg
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help in adding a string at the end of each line and append files vertically

hi, i need a help in the script , need to append a string at the end of each line of a files , and append the files into a single file vertically. eg file1 has the following columns abc,def,aaa aaa,aa,aaa files 2 has the following rows and columns abc,def,aaa aaa,aa,aaa i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: senkerth
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lookup horizontally and vertically and calculate counts

Hello, Please help create the following report. I have a matrix - S1 S2 S3 S4 M1 AA AA TT - M2 AG AG AA GG M3 GG TT - - a first lookup table M3 chr7 4.456 M1 chr7 28.9 M2 chr8 129.678 a second lookup table S1 GGHBBGG/DEDD(@DCCD) (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jianp83
8 Replies
RESIZE(1)						      General Commands Manual							 RESIZE(1)

NAME
resize - set environment and terminal settings to current xterm window size SYNOPSIS
resize [ -u | -c ] [ -s [ row col ] ] DESCRIPTION
Resize prints a shell command for setting the appropriate environment variables to indicate the current size of xterm window from which the command is run. For this output to take effect, resize must either be evaluated as part of the command line (usually done with a shell alias or function) or else redirected to a file which can then be read in. From the C shell (usually known as /bin/csh), the following alias could be defined in the user's .cshrc: % alias rs 'set noglob; eval `resize`' After resizing the window, the user would type: % rs Users of versions of the Bourne shell (usually known as /bin/sh) that don't have command functions will need to send the output to a tempo- rary file and then read it back in with the "." command: $ resize > /tmp/out $ . /tmp/out Resize determines the user's current shell by first checking if $SHELL is set, and using that. Otherwise it determines the user's shell by looking in the password file. Generally Bourne-shell variants (including ksh) do not modify $SHELL, so it is possible for resize to be confused if one runs resize from a Bourne shell spawned from a C shell. OPTIONS
The following options may be used with resize: -u This option indicates that Bourne shell commands should be generated even if the user's current shell isn't /bin/sh. -c This option indicates that C shell commands should be generated even if the user's current shell isn't /bin/csh. -s [rows columns] This option indicates that Sun console escape sequences will be used instead of the VT100-style xterm escape codes. If rows and columns are given, resize will ask the xterm to resize itself. However, the window manager may choose to disallow the change. Note that the Sun console escape sequences are recognized by XFree86 xterm and by dtterm. The resize program may be installed as sunsize, which causes makes it assume the -s option. The rows and columns arguments must appear last; though they are normally associated with the -s option, they are parsed separately. FILES
/etc/termcap for the base termcap entry to modify. ~/.cshrc user's alias for the command. ENVIRONMENT
TERM set to "xterm" if not already set. TERMCAP variable set on systems using termcap COLUMNS, LINES variables set on systems using terminfo SEE ALSO
csh(1), tset(1), xterm(1) AUTHORS
Mark Vandevoorde (MIT-Athena), Edward Moy (Berkeley) Copyright (c) 1984, 1985 by X Consortium See X(7) for a complete copyright notice. X Window System RESIZE(1)