Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming C. To segmentation fault or not to segmentation fault, that is the question. Post 303032353 by nezabudka on Friday 15th of March 2019 02:03:48 PM
Old 03-15-2019
I understood correctly?
On a 64-bit system without parameters, the code gives "Segmentation fault".
Is there no " Segmentation fault" on the 32-bit system when started without parameters?

If my assumptions are correct, when creating a stack in the "main" function of the 64-bit system, a layer in the form of a red zone from the previous stack is filled with machine zeros and the parameters get no value, which leads to segmentation. And when creating a frame in the 32-bit system of this red zone is not! And the garbage from the old frame gets into the parameters and therefore there is no segmentation. But this is still not correct.

P.S. Thanks "Auto Save Recovery" accidentally closed the tab.

--- Post updated at 21:03 ---

I apologize this line should be read like this
Quote:
Is there no " Segmentation fault" on the 32-bit system when started without parameters?
There is no " Segmentation fault" on the 32-bit system when started without parameters

Last edited by nezabudka; 03-15-2019 at 02:54 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

segmentation fault

sometimes for this code i get a segmentation fault for codes llike this : int main{ int * a= 0; int b; a = (int*)malloc(sizeof(int)); ///some code using these variable but no freeing of a if(a){ free(a); a = 0; } return... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wojtyla
3 Replies

2. AIX

Segmentation fault

Hi , During execution a backup binary i get following error "Program error 11 (Segmentation fault), saving core file in '/usr/datatools" Riyaz (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rshaikh
2 Replies

3. Linux

Segmentation fault

Hi, on a linux Red HAT(with Oracle DB 9.2.0.7) I have following error : RMAN> delete obsolete; RMAN retention policy will be applied to the command RMAN retention policy is set to redundancy 2 using channel ORA_DISK_1 Segmentation fault What does it mean ? And the solution ? Many thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
0 Replies

4. Programming

segmentation fault

If I do this. Assume struct life { char *nolife; } struct life **life; // malloc initialization & everything if(life->nolife == 0) Would I get error at life->nolife if it is equal to 0. wrong accession? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joey
3 Replies

5. Programming

Segmentation fault.

I'm getting a segmentation fault. I'm new to Linux programming. Thanks so much for all of your input.:eek: #include </usr/include/mysql++/mysql++.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <iostream> #include <sstream> #include <string.h> using namespace std; int outputToImport(const char*... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sepoto
1 Replies

6. Programming

Segmentation fault in C

i have this code int already_there(char *client_names, char *username) { int i; for(i = 0; i<NUM; i++) { printf("HERE\n"); if (strcmp(client_names, username)==0) return(1); } return(0); } and i get a segmentation fault, whats wrong here? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

segmentation fault with ps

What does this mean and why is this happening? $ ps -ef | grep ocular Segmentation fault (core dumped) $ ps -ef | grep ocular Segmentation fault (core dumped) $ ps aux | grep ocular Segmentation fault (core dumped) $ ps Segmentation fault (core dumped) $ pkill okular $ ps... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

8. Programming

Using gdb, ignore beginning segmentation fault until reproduce environment segmentation fault

I use a binary name (ie polo) it gets some parameter , so for debugging normally i do this : i wrote script for watchdog my app (polo) and check every second if it's not running then start it , the problem is , if my app , remain in state of segmentation fault for a while (ie 15 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pooyair
6 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Segmentation Fault

this is a network programming code to run a rock paper scissors in a client and server. I completed it and it was working without any error. After I added the findWinner function to the server code it starts giving me segmentation fault. -the segmentation fault is fixed Current problem -Also... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: femchi
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Segmentation fault

Hi Guys, I just installed and booted a zone called testzone. When I logged in remotely and tried changing to root user I get this error: "Segmentation fault" Can someone please help me resolve this? Thanks alot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
2 Replies
pfm_enable_faults(3ncs) 												   pfm_enable_faults(3ncs)

Name
       pfm_enable_faults - enable asynchronous faults

Syntax
       #include <idl/c/base.h>
       #include <idl/c/pfm.h>

void pfm_$enable_faults()

Description
       The routine enables asynchronous faults after they have been inhibited by a call to causes the operating system to pass asynchronous faults
       on to the calling process.

While faults are inhibited, the operating system holds at most one asynchronous fault.  Consequently, when returns, there can  be  at  most
       one  fault waiting on the process.  If more than one fault was received between routines to and the process receives the first asynchronous
       fault received while faults were inhibited.

Diagnostics
       This section lists the status codes for errors returned by this routine.

pfm_$bad_rls_order  Attempted to release a clean-up handler out of order.

pfm_$cleanup_not_found
			   There is no pending clean-up handler.

pfm_$cleanup_set    A clean-up handler was established successfully.

pfm_$cleanup_set_signalled
			   Attempted to use pfm_$cleanup_set as a signal.

pfm_$invalid_cleanup_rec
			   Passed an invalid clean-up record to a routine.

pfm_$no_space	   Cannot allocate storage for a clean-up handler.

Files
See Also
       intro(3ncs), pfm_enable(3ncs), pfm_inhibit_faults(3ncs)

pfm_enable_faults(3ncs)