Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming C. To segmentation fault or not to segmentation fault, that is the question. Post 303032348 by wisecracker on Friday 15th of March 2019 12:14:06 PM
Old 03-15-2019
C. To segmentation fault or not to segmentation fault, that is the question.

Oddities with gcc, 2.95.3 for the AMIGA and 4.2.1 for MY current OSX 10.14.1...

I am creating a basic calculator for the AMIGA ADE *NIX emulator in C as it does not have one.

Below are two very condensed snippets of which I have added the results inside the each code section.

IMPORTANT! This will NOT even compile on gcc 2.95.3 for the AMIGA, but WORKS correctly on OSX 10.14.1, gcc 4.2.1.
Code:
/* No_error gcc 4.2.1 demo. */

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <math.h>

int NUM_1;
int NUM_2;
char CHARACTER;

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
    /* Conditional BEFORE _variables_! */
    if (argc <= 3)
    {
        printf("ERROR!\n\n");
        printf("Not enough arguments!\n");
        exit(1);
    }

int NUM_1 = strtod(argv[1], NULL);
    int NUM_2 = strtod(argv[3], NULL);
    CHARACTER = *argv[2];

printf("\n%i, %i, %c\n\n", NUM_1, NUM_2, CHARACTER);

return(0);
}

/* ****************************************
     Results OSX 10.14.1, gcc 4.2.1...

Last login: Fri Mar 15 14:45:03 on ttys000
AMIGA:amiga~> cd Desktop/Code/C
AMIGA:amiga~/Desktop/Code/C> gcc noerror.c
AMIGA:amiga~/Desktop/Code/C> ./a.out
ERROR!

Not enough arguments!
AMIGA:amiga~/Desktop/Code/C> ./a.out 1 v
ERROR!

Not enough arguments!
AMIGA:amiga~/Desktop/Code/C> ./a.out 1 v 3

1, 3, v

AMIGA:amiga~/Desktop/Code/C> _

**************************************** */

ALSO IMPORTANT! This compiles and WORKS perfectly on the AMIGA but gives a segmentation fault on OSX 10.14.1, gcc 4.2.1.
Code:
/* Error gcc 4.2.1 demo. */

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <math.h>

int NUM_1;
int NUM_2;
char CHARACTER;

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
    int NUM_1 = strtod(argv[1], NULL);
    int NUM_2 = strtod(argv[3], NULL);
    CHARACTER = *argv[2];

/* Conditional AFTER _variables_! */
    if (argc <= 3)
    {
        printf("ERROR!\n\n");
        printf("Not enough arguments!\n");
        exit(1);
    }

printf("\n%i, %i, %c\n\n", NUM_1, NUM_2, CHARACTER);

return(0);
}

/* ****************************************

Last login: Fri Mar 15 15:48:37 on ttys000
AMIGA:amiga~> cd Desktop/Code/C
AMIGA:amiga~/Desktop/Code/C> gcc error.c
AMIGA:amiga~/Desktop/Code/C> ./a.out
Segmentation fault: 11
AMIGA:amiga~/Desktop/Code/C> ./a.out 1 r
Segmentation fault: 11
AMIGA:amiga~/Desktop/Code/C> ./a.out 1 r 6

1, 6, r

AMIGA:amiga~/Desktop/Code/C> _

**************************************** */

As you can see the second code gives a Segmentation fault: 11 on OSX 10.14.1, gcc 4.2.1 but compiles and works correctly on the AMIGA.

Can anyone explain why there is a SEGMENTATION FAULT when the if conditional statement is inside the 'main()' function to start with and the assignments set?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

segmentation fault

sometimes for this code i get a segmentation fault for codes llike this : int main{ int * a= 0; int b; a = (int*)malloc(sizeof(int)); ///some code using these variable but no freeing of a if(a){ free(a); a = 0; } return... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wojtyla
3 Replies

2. AIX

Segmentation fault

Hi , During execution a backup binary i get following error "Program error 11 (Segmentation fault), saving core file in '/usr/datatools" Riyaz (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rshaikh
2 Replies

3. Linux

Segmentation fault

Hi, on a linux Red HAT(with Oracle DB 9.2.0.7) I have following error : RMAN> delete obsolete; RMAN retention policy will be applied to the command RMAN retention policy is set to redundancy 2 using channel ORA_DISK_1 Segmentation fault What does it mean ? And the solution ? Many thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
0 Replies

4. Programming

segmentation fault

If I do this. Assume struct life { char *nolife; } struct life **life; // malloc initialization & everything if(life->nolife == 0) Would I get error at life->nolife if it is equal to 0. wrong accession? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joey
3 Replies

5. Programming

Segmentation fault.

I'm getting a segmentation fault. I'm new to Linux programming. Thanks so much for all of your input.:eek: #include </usr/include/mysql++/mysql++.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <iostream> #include <sstream> #include <string.h> using namespace std; int outputToImport(const char*... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sepoto
1 Replies

6. Programming

Segmentation fault in C

i have this code int already_there(char *client_names, char *username) { int i; for(i = 0; i<NUM; i++) { printf("HERE\n"); if (strcmp(client_names, username)==0) return(1); } return(0); } and i get a segmentation fault, whats wrong here? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

segmentation fault with ps

What does this mean and why is this happening? $ ps -ef | grep ocular Segmentation fault (core dumped) $ ps -ef | grep ocular Segmentation fault (core dumped) $ ps aux | grep ocular Segmentation fault (core dumped) $ ps Segmentation fault (core dumped) $ pkill okular $ ps... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

8. Programming

Using gdb, ignore beginning segmentation fault until reproduce environment segmentation fault

I use a binary name (ie polo) it gets some parameter , so for debugging normally i do this : i wrote script for watchdog my app (polo) and check every second if it's not running then start it , the problem is , if my app , remain in state of segmentation fault for a while (ie 15 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pooyair
6 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Segmentation Fault

this is a network programming code to run a rock paper scissors in a client and server. I completed it and it was working without any error. After I added the findWinner function to the server code it starts giving me segmentation fault. -the segmentation fault is fixed Current problem -Also... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: femchi
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Segmentation fault

Hi Guys, I just installed and booted a zone called testzone. When I logged in remotely and tried changing to root user I get this error: "Segmentation fault" Can someone please help me resolve this? Thanks alot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
2 Replies
sigsetops(3C)															     sigsetops(3C)

NAME
sigemptyset(), sigfillset(), sigaddset(), sigdelset(), sigismember() - initialize, manipulate, and test signal sets SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
initializes the signal set pointed to by set, to exclude all signals supported by HP-UX. initializes the signal set pointed to by set, to include all signals supported by HP-UX. Applications must call either or at least once for each object of type before using that object for anything else, including cases where the object is returned from a function (for example, the oset argument to -- see sigprocmask(2)). adds the signal specified by signo to the signal set pointed to by set. deletes the signal specified by signo from the signal set pointed to by set. tests whether the signal specified by signo is a member of the signal set pointed to by set. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, returns a value of 1 if the specified signal is a member of the specified set, or a value of 0 if it is not. The other functions return a value of 0 upon successful completion. For all of the above functions, if an error is detected, a value of -1 is returned and is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
and fail if the following is true: [EINVAL] The value of the signo argument is out of range. WARNINGS
The above functions do not detect a bad address passed in for the set argument. A segmentation fault is the most likely result. AUTHOR
and were derived from the SEE ALSO
sigaction(2), sigsuspend(2), sigpending(2), sigprocmask(2), signal(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
sigsetops(3C)