Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Substitute a character with sed Post 303032326 by jim mcnamara on Friday 15th of March 2019 09:06:43 AM
Old 03-15-2019
Speaking strictly as a scientist: python ruby, and julia are extremely important for research and analysis.

GNU supports the environment variable POSIXLY_CORRECT. This helps a lot when you are porting code back and forth between several platforms. I would suggest that you check it out. Defining it changes behavior to be pretty close to POSIX. Not perfect, IMO.

Linux is effectively inescapable in modern data centers. Even appliances like routers run on embedded Linux. So does your refrigerator ....

GNU.org position on POSIX:
GNU Coding Standards: Non-GNU Standards

Some OSes kind of go off the deep end in attempt to be a sort of "all versions of standards" - which is kind of what you are discussing here.

Solaris is an example:

Compliance with standards in that OS - for a new user or somebody porting an app - can be confusing. You get different versions of awk, tr and so on. This depends on which of several possible paths, and their order, ex: /usr/xpg4/bin versus /usr/bin, you have set up in PATH. This can break a lot of things that worked correctly on HP-UX but not Solaris, for example. I spent a lot of time tweaking the PATH variable for different applications and their associated users

XPG4 -
man pages section 5: Standards, Environments, and Macros

Don Cragun here actively works on standards, and definitely will have have some opinions here.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed substitute situation

I am having a problem executing a sed substitute in a file. I have tried alot of different things I found in previous posts, however non seem to work. I want to substitute this in $FILE: VALUE=33.4 In the script I have tried the following: prev=$(awk -F"=" '{ print $2 }' $FILE ) new=$(echo... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbreed1
16 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read a variable character by character, substitute characters with something else

im having trouble doing this: i have a variable with 2 characters repeating e.g. aababbbaaaababaabbaabbba is there a way i can search the variable for a's and b's and then change a's to b's and b's to a's? im guessing its like getting the 1's compliment of the string im doing this in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipervenom25
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using SED to substitute between two patterns.

Hi All, I'm currently using SED to make various changes to some .xml files I'm working on, but I'm stuck on this particular problem. I want to remove '<placeholder>element-name</placeholder>' from the following: <heading>Element <placeholder>element-name</placeholder> not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steve_altius
2 Replies

4. AIX

check for a particular character inside a file and substitute with a given character?

i am a newbie to shell script,so i want a kshell script in which i need to check for a particular character inside a file through conditional looping(like if ,case,while)and if that character exists ,then substitute a given character to that character. consider a file test.txt,inside the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthikprasathk
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to substitute first occurrence

I am trying to get rid of some ending tags but I run into some problems. Ex. How are you?</EndTag><Begin>It is fine.</Begin><New> Just about I am trying to get rid of the ending tags, starts with </ and ending with >. (which is </EndTag> and </Begin>) I tried the following sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: quixoticking11
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed to substitute between quotes.

I'm using sed to perform a simply search and replace. The typical data is: <fig><image href="Graphics/BAV.gif" align="left" placement="break" I need to replace the value in the first set of quotes, keeping the remainder of the line the same. Thus: <fig><image href="NEW_VALUE" align="left"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steve_altius
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed question to substitute data in \2

Hi All, Here is what I'm trying to do with sed: Input File: somechangeVariable1=Something I would like to change somechangeVariable2=Something else I would like to change ... Output File: somechangeVariable1=Something I would like to different somechangeVariable2=Something else I would... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peace_Dude1
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed or gsub to substitute characters!

Is there a way to substitute the URL-encoding references of ( & and ` ) with their actual appearance? for example.... %26 is & say I want to convert every %26 in my file to &..... awk '{gsub(/%26/,"&");print}' Is there a way to do this? I also want to be able to convert ` too! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: puttster
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to substitute variable in sed for special character?

Hi , I have input file like below Hi this is "vinoth". Hi happy to work with 'unix' USA(united states of America) My script variables are below : Dquote=Ộ Squote=&#$567 Obrac=&^986 Cbrac=&^745 I want to read the variables in my SED command to replace the double quote,single... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinothsekark
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitute command -- need help

I am trying to do what I thought should be a simple substitution, but I can't get it to work. File: Desire output: I thought I'd start with a sed command to remove the part of the header line preceding the string "comp", then go on to remove the suffix of the target string (e.g. ":3-509(-)"),... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)