Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Logs to be gzipped
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Logs to be gzipped Post 303032308 by search4u2003 on Friday 15th of March 2019 06:10:16 AM
Old 03-15-2019
Logs to be gzipped

Dear Friends,

I need to zip all the file in the log folder with date and time, except current days files and files with .gz extension.

Regards,
Search4u2003.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Logs

hi My name is Juan I dont can clear wtmp and similiar files how i do it? thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtapia
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

logs

can i include this command into my crontab file > /var/adm/wtmp to clear the contents on a regular basis ? what about file permissions ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cubicle^dweller
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logs

Hey Guys, i am new into shell programming and i have to do one script which have to record all the commands entered by a specific user. Example of that, i have a system running on unix, several users are using this system, i have to create like a databse which will record every user entered that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: charbel
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

logs

Hy, I have a question I have a directory in a unix server, Some of my files have a diffrent access time, from the time i accessed them last, I think some one has copied it,it's not an important file,but none the less,it is my file,It mistakenly had a 777 permission( yes ,I know it is a noob's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lordmod
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep yesterday logs from weblogic logs

Hi, I am trying to write a script which would go search and get the info from the logs based on yesterday timestamp and write yesterday logs in new file. The log file format is as follows: """"""""""""""""""""""""""... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harish.parker
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

view gzipped files with name file.gz.$DATE on a Solaris box (without unzipping first)

Hi Howto view gzipped files with name file.gz.$DATE on a Solaris box (without unzipping first) $ ls -lrt total 4477 -rwxrwxr-x 1 oracle dba 569745 Apr 4 19:45 4_person2profileCon.txt.gz.04.04.11* -rwxrwxr-x 1 oracle dba 3783 Apr 4 19:45... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
4 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

regarding logs

Hi , I am running an application on my windows and it logs are generated at /var/logs and for this i have to go this location and then do tail -f , Is there any command you can advise me so that when I execute this command at this location that logs get displayed fully and as the application... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KAREENA18
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing resulted string name of a gzipped file as an argument to another piped tool

Hi, I have a .pcap.gz file and I would like to initially gzip it and then pass the resulting .pcap filename as an argument to a piped tool; the right-hand tool is not standardized linux tool but a custom one that strictly requires the string name of a given .pcap file in order for the pcap file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amarn
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If I ran perl script again,old logs should move with today date and new logs should generate.

Appreciate help for the below issue. Im using below code.....I dont want to attach the logs when I ran the perl twice...I just want to take backup with today date and generate new logs...What I need to do for the below scirpt.............. 1)if logs exist it should move the logs with extention... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
1 Replies
ZNEW(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   ZNEW(1)

NAME
znew -- convert compressed files to gzipped files SYNOPSIS
znew [-ftv9K] file ... DESCRIPTION
The znew utility uncompresses files compressed by compress(1) and recompresses them with gzip(1). The options are as follows: -f Overwrite existing '.gz' files. Unless this option is specified, znew refuses to overwrite existing files. -t Test integrity of the gzipped file before deleting the original file. If the integrity check fails, the original '.Z' file is not removed. -v Print a report specifying the achieved compression ratios. -9 Use the -9 mode of gzip(1), achieving better compression at the cost of slower execution. -K Keep the original '.Z' file if it uses less disk blocks than the gzipped one. A disk block is 1024 bytes. SEE ALSO
gzip(1) CAVEATS
The znew utility tries to maintain the file mode of the original file. If the original file is not writable, it is not able to do that and znew will print a warning. BSD
January 26, 2007 BSD