Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Substitute a character with sed Post 303032244 by Francesco_IT on Thursday 14th of March 2019 06:48:27 AM
Old 03-14-2019
Substitute a character with sed

hi all,
i'd like to modify a file with sed , i want to substuite a char "-" with "/"
how can i do this?
Thanks for all
regards
Francesco

Last edited by RavinderSingh13; 03-14-2019 at 09:16 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed substitute situation

I am having a problem executing a sed substitute in a file. I have tried alot of different things I found in previous posts, however non seem to work. I want to substitute this in $FILE: VALUE=33.4 In the script I have tried the following: prev=$(awk -F"=" '{ print $2 }' $FILE ) new=$(echo... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbreed1
16 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read a variable character by character, substitute characters with something else

im having trouble doing this: i have a variable with 2 characters repeating e.g. aababbbaaaababaabbaabbba is there a way i can search the variable for a's and b's and then change a's to b's and b's to a's? im guessing its like getting the 1's compliment of the string im doing this in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipervenom25
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using SED to substitute between two patterns.

Hi All, I'm currently using SED to make various changes to some .xml files I'm working on, but I'm stuck on this particular problem. I want to remove '<placeholder>element-name</placeholder>' from the following: <heading>Element <placeholder>element-name</placeholder> not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steve_altius
2 Replies

4. AIX

check for a particular character inside a file and substitute with a given character?

i am a newbie to shell script,so i want a kshell script in which i need to check for a particular character inside a file through conditional looping(like if ,case,while)and if that character exists ,then substitute a given character to that character. consider a file test.txt,inside the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthikprasathk
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to substitute first occurrence

I am trying to get rid of some ending tags but I run into some problems. Ex. How are you?</EndTag><Begin>It is fine.</Begin><New> Just about I am trying to get rid of the ending tags, starts with </ and ending with >. (which is </EndTag> and </Begin>) I tried the following sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: quixoticking11
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed to substitute between quotes.

I'm using sed to perform a simply search and replace. The typical data is: <fig><image href="Graphics/BAV.gif" align="left" placement="break" I need to replace the value in the first set of quotes, keeping the remainder of the line the same. Thus: <fig><image href="NEW_VALUE" align="left"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steve_altius
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed question to substitute data in \2

Hi All, Here is what I'm trying to do with sed: Input File: somechangeVariable1=Something I would like to change somechangeVariable2=Something else I would like to change ... Output File: somechangeVariable1=Something I would like to different somechangeVariable2=Something else I would... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peace_Dude1
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed or gsub to substitute characters!

Is there a way to substitute the URL-encoding references of ( & and ` ) with their actual appearance? for example.... %26 is & say I want to convert every %26 in my file to &..... awk '{gsub(/%26/,"&");print}' Is there a way to do this? I also want to be able to convert ` too! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: puttster
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to substitute variable in sed for special character?

Hi , I have input file like below Hi this is "vinoth". Hi happy to work with 'unix' USA(united states of America) My script variables are below : Dquote=Ộ Squote=&#$567 Obrac=&^986 Cbrac=&^745 I want to read the variables in my SED command to replace the double quote,single... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinothsekark
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitute command -- need help

I am trying to do what I thought should be a simple substitution, but I can't get it to work. File: Desire output: I thought I'd start with a sed command to remove the part of the header line preceding the string "comp", then go on to remove the suffix of the target string (e.g. ":3-509(-)"),... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies
BUILDD-UPLOADER(1)						   Debian sbuild						BUILDD-UPLOADER(1)

NAME
buildd-uploader - upload built packages for buildd SYNOPSIS
buildd-uploader VERSION
This man page documents the packaged version of buildd-uploader. This version is maintained by the buildd-tools project developers on Alioth (https://alioth.debian.org/projects/buildd-tools/). There is also a version maintained by Ryan Murray which is adapted to build daemon needs, with similar functionality. This version should be equally capable of working in a buildd setup, but has a number of enhancements aimed at making it suitable for use by end-users. DESCRIPTION
buildd-uploader uploads built packages. FILES
/etc/buildd/buildd.conf Configuration, maintained by the system administrator. This may be used to override the defaults. ~/.builddrc User-specific configuration. AUTHORS
Roman Hodek <Roman.Hodek@informatik.uni-erlangen.de>. sbuild is based on debbuild, written by James Troup <james@nocrew.org> and has been modified by Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>, Ryan Murray <rmurray@debian.org>, Francesco Paolo Lovergine <frankie@debian.org>, Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org>, and Roger Leigh <rleigh@debian.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1998-2000 Roman Hodek <roman@hodek.net> Copyright (C) 1998-1999 James Troup <troup@debian.org> Copyright (C) 2003-2006 Ryan Murray <rmurray@debian.org> Copyright (C) 2001-2003 Rick Younie <younie@debian.org> Copyright (C) 2003-2004 Francesco Paolo Lovergine <frankie@debian.org> Copyright (C) 2005 Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> Copyright (C) 2005-2008 Roger Leigh <rleigh@debian.org> SEE ALSO
buildd(1). Version 0.63.2 18 Aug 2012 BUILDD-UPLOADER(1)