Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with scripts
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with scripts Post 303032080 by bakunin on Monday 11th of March 2019 04:07:01 AM
Old 03-11-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by iswarya123
can anyone help me in the above ?
First off: please do not bump up threads. If someone can answer you s/he will - and if not, then bumping up the thread won't help you either. Many people here do not visit unix.com regularly on weekends which is probably why your thread hasn't been answered up to now.

Second: yes, i can help you but are not going to like what i say.

The first thing is, you have generally no business tampering with the ownership of rights of files put there by the system. Actually you can do that in select few exceptional cases but if you do that you have to understand you are taking a very big risk and so you should know what you are doing and why pretty clearly beforehand. I like it better that way is NO such reason to do it.

The reason why sudo refuses to use /etc/sudoers now is because it needs to be readable/writable only for root for security reasons. It doesn't make sense to have rules about who is allowed to become root writable by anybody else but root.

Therefore, by changing the right of the file you have made sudo absolutely useless and effectively shut it off. You need a "conventional" way of becoming root therefore, but in many cases these are blocked intentionally for security considerations.

One way is to use su - root and switch to the root user. You need the root password for that and su may be forbidden to be executed.

Second way is to log on as root directly. You also need the root password and root may be forbidden to log on remotely or generally. If it is only forbidden to log on remotely you can log on locally - usually via the KVM, ILO or whatever the maintenance access to the server is called - via a local serial console.

Third, you can use a boot-CD and reboot the server from that, then mount the original root filesystem (/etc is probably located there) and change the rights back to what it was. Then reboot the server from its own filesystem and it should work again. You will need local access to the server for this and the procedure is going to be disruptive.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with scripts

script that ask for "enter a file name" and removes that file and asks for confirmation before deletion if executed the output might look as enter the filename you intent to deleted remover file? Y file deleterd I knwo the comand I would use find . -name *.* -ok rm {}\; I guess... can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LiTo
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling expect scripts from other expect scripts

Hi, First, let me explain the issue I am trying to solve. We have a lot of expect scripts with the duplicated send/expect commands. So, I'd like to be able to extract the duplicated code into the common scripts that can be used by other scripts. Below is my test where I am trying to call... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: seva
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Profile scripts versus rc scripts....

what is the difference between login and profile scripts versus the rc scripts? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rookie22
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Script using rsh and scripts within scripts

Hi, I've written a script that runs on a Database server. It has to shutdown the Application server, do an Oracle Dump and then restart the Application server. Its been a long time since I wrote any shells scripts. Can you tell me if the scripts that I execute within my script will be executed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: brockwile1
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running scripts within scripts from cron

Hi all, I have set up a cron job which calls another shell script shell script which in turn calls a Java process. The cron tab looks so. 0,30 7-18 * * 1-5 /u01/home/weblogic/brp/bin/checkstatus.sh >> /u01/home/weblogic/logs/checkstatus.log The checkstatus.sh scripts looks like this. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbrian
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the Bash Scripts to Bourne Scripts:URGENT

Hi, I have to write a program to compute the checksums of files ./script.sh I wrote the program using bash and it took me forever since I am a beginner but it works very well. I'm getting so close to the deadline and I realised today that actually I have to use normal Bourne shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pgarg1989
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH - How to call different scripts from master scripts based on a column in an Oracle table

Dear Members, I have a table REQUESTS in Oracle which has an attribute REQUEST_ACTION. The entries in REQUEST_ACTION are like, ME, MD, ND, NE etc. I would like to create a script which will will call other scripts based on the request action. Can we directly read from the REQUEST_ACTION... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yoodit
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling scripts from with scripts

Hi all, I'm wondering if you could give me some advice. I am new to scripting and am getting rather frustrated that i can get my script to call another script if certain criteria is met, via command line, but I cannot get the same script to work thru the cron jobs. My first script monitors... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: echoes
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling multiple scripts from another scripts

Dear all, I am working on script which call other shell scripts in a loop but problem is from second script am not able to come out. Here is the snippet:- #!/bin/bash HSFILE=/root/Test/Components.txt LOGFile=/opt/domain/AdminDomain/application/logs... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharsour
3 Replies