Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Changes in dhcpd.conf do not make a difference in DHCP service behaviour Post 303031877 by ekorgur on Thursday 7th of March 2019 03:44:39 AM
Old 03-07-2019
Changes in dhcpd.conf do not make a difference in DHCP service behaviour

Hi Experts,

Our DHCP server currently answers the DHCP Discover requests from ServerX. In our dhcpd.conf file there are parameters defined for ServerX.
Now we introduced some additional Servers into the network and want them to get service from the same DHCP server.
Similar configuration parameters as currently present for ServerX were added for the other Servers into the dhcpd.conf file.
The dhcpd process was restarted.
However, in the /var/log/messages, we could see the incoming DHCP Discover messages for the newly added servers but no OFFER for them.

Code:
Mar  7 11:18:05 trber dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from mac:mac:mac:mac via IP:IP:IP:IP:IP: unknown network segment

The system keeps sending OFFER for the ServerX only.

We rebooted the DHCP server. It is up and the result is still same.
For confirming that the dhcpd service could use the conf file properly, we removed the entries for ServerX in the dhcpd.conf file and restarted the dhcpd process.
Still DHCP server continue to OFFER for ServerX while there are no parameters for it in the conf file.

It makes me feel that dhcpd process is not interested in any change at dhcpd.conf file, even not use it.

How could it happen?

Our dhcpd.conf file stays in /etc directory : /etc/dhcpd.conf
In some server I could see the directory used is /etc/dhcp/ : /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf

Do you have any idea who dhcpd service does not use it's conf file?

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules!

Last edited by RudiC; 03-07-2019 at 05:05 AM.. Reason: Added CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

dhcpd.conf

I have intall a REdhat 9.0 as a server and Ive configure to act as a DHCP however Im having technical problems b/c the file /etc/dhcpd.conf does not exists. I went to the text edit and I created : subnet 192.192.168.100.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 { range 192.168.100.10 192.168.100.150;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: keliy1
1 Replies

2. Solaris

DHCP Service

Thanks for reply , i realy love using unix ... is there anyone who can give me an instruction to configure DHCP Server in Sun Solaris 10 just a quick guide .. i know how to configure DHCP Server in Windows operating System ..But i want also learn how to configure it from the SUN SOLARIS 10...... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: giancarlodjabon
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell/Perl Script to edit dhcpd.conf

Hi, I need to get a script together to edit the dhcp service configuration file dhcpd.conf. Mac addresses are defined in classes ex. class "HOST1" { match if substring (hardware, 1,18)=00:11:11:FF:FF:FF;} class "HOST2" ... class "HOST3" ... ... followed by allow or deny statements:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahilb
4 Replies

4. Linux

dhcpd.conf - static route

Hi, I've setup DHCP Server on RH linux AS3 and everything works fine except static routes. They are not getting effected on client systems. My dhcpd.conf: +++++++++++ ddns-update-style interim; ddns-updates off; option domain-name-servers 192.168.116.122; option domain-name... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete dhcp.conf entry using sed

I am trying to use sed to remove entries from my dhcpd.conf file. The form of the file is: host foo { option 1 option 2 } host bar { option 1 option 2 } I was trying to use a label like: sed -e :a -e "s/^host bar {*//g;/{/N;//ba" /etc/dhcpd.conf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tizatron
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris Install over WAN(where to keep wanboot.conf file for DHCP client)

I am trying to configure my jumpstart server to install Solaris 10 on a T1000 machine(target) over WAN. I do not know the IP address of the client, i wish the client to get the IP address from DHCP. how do i configure my /etc/netboot hierarchy. One option would be to keep the wanboot.conf in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hemalsid
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between configure/make/make install.

Hi, While installation of apache on linux, we perform the below tasks. 1) Untar 2) configure 3) make 4) make install. I wanted to understand the difference and working of configure/make/make install. Can any one help me understanding this? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: praveen_b744
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Perl to change dhcpd.conf file

Hi all, I am too new for this stuff and i am lost in perl tutorials. I need help to change dhcp entries in .conf file with a perl script. The file entries are like below : host bertha-clp-0 { hardware ethernet AA:0A:A0:00:6c:40; fixed-address 10.10.10.72; option... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ekckabatop
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to check dhcp conf file

Hi, I have to prepare a script to check the dhcp conf file. The script has to check for a specific parameter called circuit ID. If the Circuit ID is unique it should show the output that it is unique and if it is duplicate it should show that the Circuit ID is duplicate. I have prepared the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crazy_Nix
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing IPs from the dhcpd.conf

Hy everybody, Within a dhcpd.conf file, we got some fixed IP adresses from 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.254. Sample: #ddns-update-style interim; ddns-update-style none; ignore client-updates; deny client-updates; authoritative; #### By red for PXE Booting allow booting; allow bootp; ###... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: hermouche
17 Replies
dhclient.leases(5)						File Formats Manual						dhclient.leases(5)

NAME
dhclient.leases - DHCP client lease database DESCRIPTION
The Internet Systems Consortium DHCP client keeps a persistent database of leases that it has acquired that are still valid. The database is a free-form ASCII file containing one valid declaration per lease. If more than one declaration appears for a given lease, the last one in the file is used. The file is written as a log, so this is not an unusual occurrence. The format of the lease declarations is described in dhclient.conf(5). FILES
DBDIR/dhclient.leases SEE ALSO
dhclient(8), dhcp-options(5), dhclient.conf(5), dhcpd(8), dhcpd.conf(5), RFC2132, RFC2131. AUTHOR
dhclient(8) was written by Ted Lemon under a contract with Vixie Labs. Funding for this project was provided by Internet Systems Consor- tium. Information about Internet Systems Consortium can be found at https://www.isc.org. dhclient.leases(5)