Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Escape bash-special character in a bash string Post 303031844 by Corona688 on Wednesday 6th of March 2019 12:25:47 PM
Old 03-06-2019
@ works fine in BASH, it's your application that throws up. What exact application are you launching? Whose implementation of VNC on what system?

Since this looks like a URL, does it support URL encoding, i.e. could you put %40 instead?
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script to check the first character in string

Hello would appreciate if somebody can post a bash script that checks if the first character of the given string is equal to, say, "a" thnx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ole111
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing special character in bash

I am using this character as a delimiter 'þ' Currently, I set it straight: DELIMITER='þ' However, while copying the file, this character often gets mangled. Is there a bash way (perhaps using tr or printf) of generating this character. It corresponds to "chr(0xfe)" if using perl. (I've... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sentinel
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - get specific character from the string

Hi! If I want to extract a character from a specific position of a string, I can use ${string:1:1} (if I want character at the position 1). How can I do the same thing, when the number of position is contained in the variable? ${string:$var:1}doesn't work, unfortunately. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xqwzts
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: How to remove the last character of a string?

In bash, how can one remove the last character of a string? In perl, the chop function would remove the last character. However, I do not know how to do the same job in bash. Many thanks in advance. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: LessNux
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex escape special character in AWK if statement

I am having issues escaping special characters in my AWK script as follows: for id in `cat file` do grep $id in file2 | awk '\ BEGIN {var=""} \ { if ( /stringwith+'|'+'50'chars/ ) { echo "do this" } else if ( /anotherString/ ) { echo "do that" } else { ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: purebc
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape special character

Hi, How to use * in call to pl/sql block from shell script? The line "select * from" is causing all files and directiores to show up in email notification but if I give all column names then it works, Please let me know how to use '*' instead of giving all column names, in other wirds how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy162
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Escape special character

My input is: jdbc:Oracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=10.147.109.211)(PORT=1526))(CONNECT_DAT A=(SID= MWDBD22))) In the search pattern, ( and ) and . and @ are special RE, and need to be escaped \( and \) and \. and \@ how can i do it by script or command (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindam guha
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match string against character class in bash

Hello, I want to check whether string has only numeric characters. The following code doesn't work for me #!/usr/local/bin/bash if ]]; then echo "true" else echo "False" fi # ./yyy '346' False # ./yyy 'aaa' False I'm searching for solution using character classes, not regex.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Pulling first and last character in string

I am writing a bash script that will find all references to the “Well_List” in the “Comp_File”. I am filtering a Well_List that contains the following: TEST_WELL_01 TEST_WELL_02 TEST_WELL_11 TEST_WELL_22 GOV_WELL_1 GOV_WELL_201 PUB_WELL_57 PUB_WELL_82 . . Comparison... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: petfyp
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to understand special character for line reading in bash shell?

I am still learning shell scripting. Recently I see a function for read configuration. But some of special character make me confused. I checked online to find answer. It was not successful. I post the code here to consult with expert or guru to get better understanding on these special characters... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
3 Replies
URLCODING(3)						 libbash urlcoding Library Manual					      URLCODING(3)

NAME
urlcoding -- a Libbash library for encoding and decoding URL's. SYNOPSIS
urlEncodeString [-l] <STRING> urlEncodeFile [-l] <FILE> urlEncodeStream [-l] urlDecodeString <STRING> urlDecodeFile <FILENAME> urlDecodeStream DESCRIPTION
urlcoding is a collection of functions that convert ASCII-text to standard URL's and vice-versa. The AWK code used is based on code by Heiner Steven <heiner.steven@odn.de> The function list: urlEncodeString Creates a URL from an ASCII string urlEncodeFile Converts a file into URL-valid text urlEncodeStream Converts standard input into URL-valid text urlDecodeString Converts a URL-encoded text back to a plain-text form urlDecodeFile Coverts URL-encoded text in a file back to plain text urlDecodeStream Converts URL-encoded standard input to text Detailed interface description follows. The [-l] option for the encoding functions should be used when line-feed characters (' ') are to be encoded as well. All functions print the results of their conversions to standard output. The exit status of all functions is that of the command 'awk', with '0' for success FUNCTIONS DESCRIPTIONS
urlEncodeString [-l] <STRING> Converts STRING - a string of ASCII characters - to URL. urlEncodeFile [-l] <FILE> Coverts FILE of URL-encoded text to plain text urlEncodeStream [-l] Converts text from standard input to URL-text. urlDecodeString <STRING> Converts URL-encoded string STRING back to text. urlDecodeFile <FILENAME> Converts the URL-encoded text in FILE to plain text. urlDecodeStream Converts the URL-encoded text from standard input to plain-text AUTHORS
Alon Keren <alon.keren@gmail.com> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), libbash(1) Linux Epoch Linux