Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Zabbix item for last line of a log file Post 303031766 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 5th of March 2019 12:35:33 PM
Old 03-05-2019
Maybe I wasn't clear on the initial post. Sorry about that. The process producing the display doesn't have direct access to the file.

We have multiple CentOS servers running various positions of our application testing programme and I'm being asked to get a display together which shows how they're all doing, batch state etc.. We destroy and re-create them all the time, but the Zabbix agent is in our VMWare template already so that is the mechanism of choice to get the data. It's shouldn't be too hard, but I'm stuck.

The server showing the display doesn't have access to the log file directly (NFS, SMB or an SSH password-less connection defined) If we did have, I could simply tail -1 /path/to/log but because we a frequently rebuilding, I'd rather not have to add another few steps and more complexity between them. There's lots to do already when we build them. With Zabbix, I can get the file contents but only for a small file, and these log files I want to read are very large.

We don't dare have Zabbix remote commands enabled because that is an entry point to attack the server. I know I can define the Zabbix item type as log with a key of log[/path/to/file], but then I don't know how to get at the content/last line.

The files will get quite large, but I can set the history low, because after that we just want the current position.

I'm happy to define the type as log if I could get that to work, but all I get back is a large number. Smilie
Naturally anything I can define in Zabbix will be added to the existing template so I don't have to set that up every time too.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple,
Robin (feeling like a fool Smilie)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Infrastructure Monitoring

A Review of Zabbix - Zabbix Rules! (Part 1)

Tim Bass 03-20-2009 07:02 AM Source... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

2. Infrastructure Monitoring

A Review of Zabbix - Zabbix Rules! (Part 2)

Tim Bass 03-23-2009 03:45 PM Source... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to read a line in gps receiver log file and append that line to new file

Hi, I have gps receiver log..its giving readings .like below Trying 127.0.0.1... Connected to localhost. Escape character is '^]'. GPSD,R=1 $GPGSV,3,1,11,08,16,328,40,11,36,127,00,28,33,283,39,20,11,165,00*71... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gudivada213
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for file and stopping at first item found

Hello, I try to write a shell script that would list all files on a directory and stop when it finds the first item specified on a find or ls command. How can I tell to the find or ls command to stop when it finds the first ".doc" file for example ? Thank you (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: davchris
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading each item from a formatted file

Hi, I have a file generated like this - 1. Fire SQL and store the formatted output in a temp file echo "select path, empid, age from emp_tbl" | /usr/sql emp_db 2 > count_file | grep vol > tempFile 2. The tempFile looks like this after the above statement /vol/emp1 0732 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman_ag
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print new item in file with symbol

Dear all, I have encountered some problem here. I prompt the user for input and store it into a data file, eg. key in name and marks so the data file will look like this andrew 80 ben 75 and the next input is carine 90. So the problem here is i want to print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: branred
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP: Shell Script to read a Log file line by line and extract Info based on KEYWORDS matching

I have a LOG file which looks like this Import started at: Mon Jul 23 02:13:01 EDT 2012 Initialization completed in 2.146 seconds. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- Import summary for Import item: PolicyInformation... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: biztank
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading line by line from live log file using while loop and considering only those lines start from

Hi, I want to read a live log file line by line and considering those line which start from time stamp; Below code I am using, which read line but throws an exception when comparing line that does not contain error code tail -F /logs/COMMON-ERROR.log | while read myline; do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a lis, find items in a file from the list, change each item

Hello, I have some tab delimited text data, file: final_temp1 aname val NAME;r'(1,) 3.28584 r'(2,)<tab> NAME;r'(3,) 6.13003 NAME;r'(4,) 4.18037 r'(5,)<tab> You can see that the data is incomplete in some cases. There is a trailing tab after the first column for each incomplete row. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to process a list of items and uncomment lines with that item in a second file

Hello, I have a src code file where I need to uncomment many lines. The lines I need to uncomment look like, C CALL l_r(DESNAME,DESOUT, 'Gmax', ESH(10), NO_APP, JJ) The comment is the "C" in the first column. This needs to be deleted so that there are 6 spaces preceding "CALL".... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
7 Replies
zabbix_selinux(8)					       SELinux Policy zabbix						 zabbix_selinux(8)

NAME
zabbix_selinux - Security Enhanced Linux Policy for the zabbix processes DESCRIPTION
Security-Enhanced Linux secures the zabbix processes via flexible mandatory access control. The zabbix processes execute with the zabbix_t SELinux type. You can check if you have these processes running by executing the ps command with the -Z qualifier. For example: ps -eZ | grep zabbix_t ENTRYPOINTS
The zabbix_t SELinux type can be entered via the zabbix_exec_t file type. The default entrypoint paths for the zabbix_t domain are the following: /usr/bin/zabbix_server, /usr/sbin/zabbix_proxy, /usr/sbin/zabbix_server, /usr/sbin/zabbix_proxy_mysql, /usr/sbin/zabbix_proxy_pgsql, /usr/sbin/zabbix_server_mysql, /usr/sbin/zabbix_server_pgsql, /usr/sbin/zabbix_proxy_sqlite3, /usr/sbin/zabbix_server_sqlite3 PROCESS TYPES
SELinux defines process types (domains) for each process running on the system You can see the context of a process using the -Z option to ps Policy governs the access confined processes have to files. SELinux zabbix policy is very flexible allowing users to setup their zabbix processes in as secure a method as possible. The following process types are defined for zabbix: zabbix_agent_t, zabbix_t Note: semanage permissive -a zabbix_t can be used to make the process type zabbix_t permissive. SELinux does not deny access to permissive process types, but the AVC (SELinux denials) messages are still generated. BOOLEANS
SELinux policy is customizable based on least access required. zabbix policy is extremely flexible and has several booleans that allow you to manipulate the policy and run zabbix with the tightest access possible. If you want to determine whether zabbix can connect to all TCP ports, you must turn on the zabbix_can_network boolean. Disabled by default. setsebool -P zabbix_can_network 1 If you want to allow users to resolve user passwd entries directly from ldap rather then using a sssd server, you must turn on the authlo- gin_nsswitch_use_ldap boolean. Disabled by default. setsebool -P authlogin_nsswitch_use_ldap 1 If you want to allow all daemons to write corefiles to /, you must turn on the daemons_dump_core boolean. Disabled by default. setsebool -P daemons_dump_core 1 If you want to enable cluster mode for daemons, you must turn on the daemons_enable_cluster_mode boolean. Enabled by default. setsebool -P daemons_enable_cluster_mode 1 If you want to allow all daemons to use tcp wrappers, you must turn on the daemons_use_tcp_wrapper boolean. Disabled by default. setsebool -P daemons_use_tcp_wrapper 1 If you want to allow all daemons the ability to read/write terminals, you must turn on the daemons_use_tty boolean. Disabled by default. setsebool -P daemons_use_tty 1 If you want to deny any process from ptracing or debugging any other processes, you must turn on the deny_ptrace boolean. Enabled by default. setsebool -P deny_ptrace 1 If you want to allow all domains to use other domains file descriptors, you must turn on the domain_fd_use boolean. Enabled by default. setsebool -P domain_fd_use 1 If you want to allow all domains to have the kernel load modules, you must turn on the domain_kernel_load_modules boolean. Disabled by default. setsebool -P domain_kernel_load_modules 1 If you want to allow all domains to execute in fips_mode, you must turn on the fips_mode boolean. Enabled by default. setsebool -P fips_mode 1 If you want to enable reading of urandom for all domains, you must turn on the global_ssp boolean. Disabled by default. setsebool -P global_ssp 1 If you want to allow confined applications to run with kerberos, you must turn on the kerberos_enabled boolean. Enabled by default. setsebool -P kerberos_enabled 1 If you want to allow system to run with NIS, you must turn on the nis_enabled boolean. Disabled by default. setsebool -P nis_enabled 1 If you want to allow confined applications to use nscd shared memory, you must turn on the nscd_use_shm boolean. Enabled by default. setsebool -P nscd_use_shm 1 NSSWITCH DOMAIN
If you want to allow users to resolve user passwd entries directly from ldap rather then using a sssd server for the zabbix_agent_t, zab- bix_t, you must turn on the authlogin_nsswitch_use_ldap boolean. setsebool -P authlogin_nsswitch_use_ldap 1 If you want to allow confined applications to run with kerberos for the zabbix_agent_t, zabbix_t, you must turn on the kerberos_enabled boolean. setsebool -P kerberos_enabled 1 PORT TYPES
SELinux defines port types to represent TCP and UDP ports. You can see the types associated with a port by using the following command: semanage port -l Policy governs the access confined processes have to these ports. SELinux zabbix policy is very flexible allowing users to setup their zabbix processes in as secure a method as possible. The following port types are defined for zabbix: zabbix_agent_port_t Default Defined Ports: tcp 10050 zabbix_port_t Default Defined Ports: tcp 10051 MANAGED FILES
The SELinux process type zabbix_t can manage files labeled with the following file types. The paths listed are the default paths for these file types. Note the processes UID still need to have DAC permissions. cluster_conf_t /etc/cluster(/.*)? cluster_var_lib_t /var/lib/pcsd(/.*)? /var/lib/cluster(/.*)? /var/lib/openais(/.*)? /var/lib/pengine(/.*)? /var/lib/corosync(/.*)? /usr/lib/heartbeat(/.*)? /var/lib/heartbeat(/.*)? /var/lib/pacemaker(/.*)? cluster_var_run_t /var/run/crm(/.*)? /var/run/cman_.* /var/run/rsctmp(/.*)? /var/run/aisexec.* /var/run/heartbeat(/.*)? /var/run/cpglockd.pid /var/run/corosync.pid /var/run/rgmanager.pid /var/run/cluster/rgmanager.sk root_t / /initrd zabbix_log_t /var/log/zabbix(/.*)? zabbix_tmp_t zabbix_tmpfs_t zabbix_var_lib_t /var/lib/zabbixsrv(/.*)? zabbix_var_run_t /var/run/zabbix(/.*)? FILE CONTEXTS
SELinux requires files to have an extended attribute to define the file type. You can see the context of a file using the -Z option to ls Policy governs the access confined processes have to these files. SELinux zabbix policy is very flexible allowing users to setup their zabbix processes in as secure a method as possible. STANDARD FILE CONTEXT SELinux defines the file context types for the zabbix, if you wanted to store files with these types in a diffent paths, you need to exe- cute the semanage command to sepecify alternate labeling and then use restorecon to put the labels on disk. semanage fcontext -a -t zabbix_agent_exec_t '/srv/zabbix/content(/.*)?' restorecon -R -v /srv/myzabbix_content Note: SELinux often uses regular expressions to specify labels that match multiple files. The following file types are defined for zabbix: zabbix_agent_exec_t - Set files with the zabbix_agent_exec_t type, if you want to transition an executable to the zabbix_agent_t domain. Paths: /usr/bin/zabbix_agentd, /usr/sbin/zabbix_agentd zabbix_agent_initrc_exec_t - Set files with the zabbix_agent_initrc_exec_t type, if you want to transition an executable to the zabbix_agent_initrc_t domain. zabbix_exec_t - Set files with the zabbix_exec_t type, if you want to transition an executable to the zabbix_t domain. Paths: /usr/bin/zabbix_server, /usr/sbin/zabbix_proxy, /usr/sbin/zabbix_server, /usr/sbin/zabbix_proxy_mysql, /usr/sbin/zabbix_proxy_pgsql, /usr/sbin/zabbix_server_mysql, /usr/sbin/zabbix_server_pgsql, /usr/sbin/zabbix_proxy_sqlite3, /usr/sbin/zabbix_server_sqlite3 zabbix_initrc_exec_t - Set files with the zabbix_initrc_exec_t type, if you want to transition an executable to the zabbix_initrc_t domain. zabbix_log_t - Set files with the zabbix_log_t type, if you want to treat the data as zabbix log data, usually stored under the /var/log directory. zabbix_tmp_t - Set files with the zabbix_tmp_t type, if you want to store zabbix temporary files in the /tmp directories. zabbix_tmpfs_t - Set files with the zabbix_tmpfs_t type, if you want to store zabbix files on a tmpfs file system. zabbix_var_lib_t - Set files with the zabbix_var_lib_t type, if you want to store the zabbix files under the /var/lib directory. zabbix_var_run_t - Set files with the zabbix_var_run_t type, if you want to store the zabbix files under the /run or /var/run directory. zabbixd_var_lib_t - Set files with the zabbixd_var_lib_t type, if you want to store the zabbixd files under the /var/lib directory. Note: File context can be temporarily modified with the chcon command. If you want to permanently change the file context you need to use the semanage fcontext command. This will modify the SELinux labeling database. You will need to use restorecon to apply the labels. COMMANDS
semanage fcontext can also be used to manipulate default file context mappings. semanage permissive can also be used to manipulate whether or not a process type is permissive. semanage module can also be used to enable/disable/install/remove policy modules. semanage port can also be used to manipulate the port definitions semanage boolean can also be used to manipulate the booleans system-config-selinux is a GUI tool available to customize SELinux policy settings. AUTHOR
This manual page was auto-generated using sepolicy manpage . SEE ALSO
selinux(8), zabbix(8), semanage(8), restorecon(8), chcon(1), sepolicy(8) , setsebool(8), zabbix_agent_selinux(8), zabbix_agent_selinux(8) zabbix 14-06-10 zabbix_selinux(8)