Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Shell script newbie- how to generate service log from shell script Post 303031573 by xiaogeji on Saturday 2nd of March 2019 03:18:33 AM
Old 03-02-2019
Shell script newbie- how to generate service log from shell script

Hi,

I am totally a newbie to any programming languages and I just started an entry level job in an IT company. One of my recent tasks is to create a script that is able to show the log file of linux service (i.e. ntpd service)
lets say, if I run my script ./test.sh, the output should be similar to :
Code:
2019-02-26 09:15:00 +1100,Success,ntpd,restart,Service Successfully Restart

I dont know if I didnt get the right requirement or something, I found a lot of scripts online but none of them worked for my case. One thing that I don't understand is, do I firstly need to have an existing .log file that has all the ntpd service history? I check var/log/ntpstats but there is no log files.

I would really appreciate if anyone could give me some ideas, if you need any clarifications please let me know.

Thanks very much

xiao

Last edited by vbe; 03-02-2019 at 04:42 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

generate xml from a shell script

Hello! I would like to generate an xml file from the output of various commands generated from within a shell script (some will be in CDATA). At the moment the only solution I have come up with is echoing xml tags around the commands eg. echo "<bitism>" >> outputfile /usr/sbin/prtconf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: speedieB
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help - shell script newbie

My problem looks like it should have a simple solution but it seems that after many days of research I cannot find a good solution. What I have is an input file that contains lines of information. What I need is to extract specific information from that file. What I know is that somewhere in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eback
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do i generate random integer using only shell script

Hi All, I need to generate 4 digit random no using only shell script. Please help in this ASAP. Thanks in advance... Regards, sridhar. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sridhusha
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script Help -I'm a newbie

Can someone help me write this shell script? I am completely new to shell and as a fun task my uncle has challenged me a problem (out of all other people). Basically, all he wants me to do is to create backup file in a folder that is named “disables.” This is what he said: create a shell script... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hotcutiepie05
0 Replies

5. Infrastructure Monitoring

Shell Script - Generate SNMP Traps

Good morning to you all I´m kinda of a noob to scripting, and my knowledge is still very basic: anyway, I´ve developed a small .sh script with the following purpose: - it will check a result file, checking if it has any values, or if it´s empty - if it´s empty it will send an email What... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zarahel
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for a newbie

Hello all, I want to write a shell script to list the contents of a directory and number them and write them to a file. For example, if I have a directory temp and the contents of the directory are alpha, beta and gamma. I want to write these filenames to a file "test" in a numbered manner. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajp002
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

generate logfile in a shell script

Unix Gurus, I have a shell script which has few "echo" statements. I am trying to create a logfile where all the outputs of the echo statement sare stored. I will have to add this as the final step in the existing script so that everytime the script runs, a logfile is generated with all the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shankar1dada
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script newbie, what is problem with my script?

Hello, Ubuntu server 11.10 can anybody help what is problem with my shell script? #!/bin/bash #script to find out currently logged on user is root or not. if ] then echo "You are super" else echo "You are awesome!" fi When I run script, I get following output ./uid: line 3: I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaustubh
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to compare and generate a new file

Requirement is I have two files their format is File1 - input_file ----- tmp_value|3|number|| tmp_value1|3|alpha|| tmp_value2|6|alpha|AA AA| tmp_value3|15|number|000000005| tmp_value4|15|number|000000000000000| tmp_value5|11|alpha|bbbbbbbbbbb| tmp_value6|11|alpha|bb bb| input_file ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenworld123
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate documentation for a shell script

Hi, I've written a shell script with proper intentation and commenting structure. However, I would like to generate documentation for the shell which I have written. Is there any tool as such to generate it like we have javagen/docgen ? Please help. Thanks, Arjun (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arjun_arippa
0 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-f] [-q] [-t] [file] DESCRIPTION
Script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -f Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: One person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo' and another can super- vise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. -q Be quiet. -t Output timeing data to standard error. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. Script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), replay(1). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
Script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. Linux July 30, 2000 Linux