Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Odd behavior from GDB while trying to cross-debug an embedded Linux application. Post 303031458 by Corona688 on Thursday 28th of February 2019 02:02:01 PM
Old 02-28-2019
I really doubt the crash is erroneous.

Quote:
So why do I think the gdbserver error is erroneous? Well because both applications are using the same exact version of glibc.
Crashes inside libc are almost always programmer-caused. This one is easy to cause:

Code:
#include <stdlib.h>

int main(void) {
        void *p=malloc(1000);
        free(p);
        free(p); // crash
}

Quote:
In fact, the only differences between the two applications is the changes I made to the code and that code works, I know because I tested it.
Never call code good because it "just works", especially when it crashes. What exact changes did you make to what exact code?

It could be the debugger that's crashing, I suppose. Unlikely but plausible.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Odd .sh behavior in script

Hello, I have been working on a what I thought was a fairly simple script for installing a software kit on Linux and Unix I am not new to scripting but am far from being fluent in sh scripting. any assistance would be appreciated. I have an odd bug occuring when executing the script. When... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertmcol
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

Odd storage behavior

Hi, We have some troubles with our HP server (rx4640) running HP-UX 11.31. The server is attached to a JBod cabinet. If the JBod cabinet is powered on and we power on the server after then HP-UX can't find the devices (disks) at the cabinet. Does not help to run an ioscan -fnC disk. But if I power... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoff
3 Replies

3. Programming

gdb: how to debug an executable file with a few command line papameters

If an executalbe file has several parameters, gdb can not pass parameters correctly. Let us see: run: ./executablefile1 agr1 arg2 arg3 debug: gdb executablefile1 run executalbefile1 arg1 arg2 arg3 then argv : executablefile1 argv : executablefile argv : arg1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdbug
3 Replies

4. Programming

gdb: problem while debug an executable file

I created one file (test.cpp)and complied it and get the executable file(test) and run it.It is giving the out put but when I am trying to debug that executable.I am getting the error -- please tell me the solutions?? Thanks in advance ..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

a question about debug using gdb(/lib32/libc.so.6: No such file or directory)

Hi all, (gdb) target remote 192.168.185.196:1389 Remote debugging using 192.168.185.196:1389 warning: Unable to find dynamic linker breakpoint function. GDB will be unable to debug shared library initializers and track explicitly loaded dynamic code. 0x2fbd0800 in ?? () (gdb) l 1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
0 Replies

6. Programming

Debug two process Using GDB

Hi All I know How to attach a process to beubg it .But for my application I am using client as well server.Both are two separate process .Suppose I need to debug both .How to attach both of them together .Or I have to attach them separetly . Suppose client process id is 1325 and server is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_deb
2 Replies

7. Programming

Can't debug: assert error with gdb (no problem without)

I'm sorry if the title is really criptic, but I don't know how to phrase my problem. I know I can't really ask for a solution, and I normally wouldn't but this is really escaping my abilities. Antefacts. I developed a program using the zeromq messaging library. I got to a point where the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: erupter
11 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

Odd behavior from passwd.

Hi Folks, Before I go off and start checking I'm just wondering if anyone has seen this behaviour before. # passwd e825390 Changing password for user e825390. New password: Retype new password: Retype new password: passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully. As you can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull04
2 Replies
gdbserver(1)						       GNU Development Tools						      gdbserver(1)

NAME
gdbserver - Remote Server for the GNU Debugger SYNOPSIS
gdbserver tty prog [args...] gdbserver tty --attach PID DESCRIPTION
GDBSERVER is a program that allows you to run GDB on a different machine than the one which is running the program being debugged. Usage (server (target) side): First, you need to have a copy of the program you want to debug put onto the target system. The program can be stripped to save space if needed, as GDBserver doesn't care about symbols. All symbol handling is taken care of by the GDB running on the host system. To use the server, you log on to the target system, and run the `gdbserver' program. You must tell it (a) how to communicate with GDB, (b) the name of your program, and (c) its arguments. The general syntax is: target> gdbserver COMM PROGRAM [ARGS ...] For example, using a serial port, you might say: target> gdbserver /dev/com1 emacs foo.txt This tells gdbserver to debug emacs with an argument of foo.txt, and to communicate with GDB via /dev/com1. Gdbserver now waits patiently for the host GDB to communicate with it. To use a TCP connection, you could say: target> gdbserver host:2345 emacs foo.txt This says pretty much the same thing as the last example, except that we are going to communicate with the host GDB via TCP. The `host:2345' argument means that we are expecting to see a TCP connection from `host' to local TCP port 2345. (Currently, the `host' part is ignored.) You can choose any number you want for the port number as long as it does not conflict with any existing TCP ports on the target system. This same port number must be used in the host GDBs `target remote' command, which will be described shortly. Note that if you chose a port number that conflicts with another service, gdbserver will print an error message and exit. On some targets, gdbserver can also attach to running programs. This is accomplished via the --attach argument. The syntax is: target> gdbserver COMM --attach PID PID is the process ID of a currently running process. It isn't necessary to point gdbserver at a binary for the running process. Usage (host side): You need an unstripped copy of the target program on your host system, since GDB needs to examine it's symbol tables and such. Start up GDB as you normally would, with the target program as the first argument. (You may need to use the --baud option if the serial line is running at anything except 9600 baud.) Ie: `gdb TARGET-PROG', or `gdb --baud BAUD TARGET-PROG'. After that, the only new command you need to know about is `target remote'. It's argument is either a device name (usually a serial device, like `/dev/ttyb'), or a HOST:PORT descriptor. For example: (gdb) target remote /dev/ttyb communicates with the server via serial line /dev/ttyb, and: (gdb) target remote the-target:2345 communicates via a TCP connection to port 2345 on host `the-target', where you previously started up gdbserver with the same port number. Note that for TCP connections, you must start up gdbserver prior to using the `target remote' command, otherwise you may get an error that looks something like `Connection refused'. OPTIONS
You have to supply the name of the program to debug and the tty to communicate on; the remote GDB will do everything else. Any remaining arguments will be passed to the program verbatim. SEE ALSO
`gdb' entry in info; Using GDB: A Guide to the GNU Source-Level Debugger, Richard M. Stallman and Roland H. Pesch, July 1991. COPYING
Copyright (c) 1993 Free Software Foundation, Inc. Permission is granted to make and distribute verbatim copies of this manual provided the copyright notice and this permission notice are preserved on all copies. Permission is granted to copy and distribute modified versions of this manual under the conditions for verbatim copying, provided that the entire resulting derived work is distributed under the terms of a permission notice identical to this one. Permission is granted to copy and distribute translations of this manual into another language, under the above conditions for modified versions, except that this permission notice may be included in translations approved by the Free Software Foundation instead of in the original English. Cygnus Support 2 November 1993 gdbserver(1)