Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Comparing 2 variables in UNIX Post 303031303 by wisecracker on Monday 25th of February 2019 05:28:50 PM
Old 02-25-2019
You could try something like this quick and dirty approach:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
# similar.sh

ifs_old="${IFS}"
IFS="/"

VAR1=describe/read/write
VAR2=read/write/describe

VAR3=( ${VAR1} )
VAR4=( ${VAR2} )
count=1

for string in ${VAR3[0]} ${VAR3[1]} ${VAR3[2]}
do
    for n in 0 1 2
    do
        if [ "${VAR4[${n}]}" = "${string}" ]
        then
            if [ ${count} -eq 3 ]
            then
                echo "Two variables, VAR1 and VAR2 are similar!"
            fi
            count=$(( count+1 ))
        fi
    done
done

IFS="${ifs_old}"

Last edited by wisecracker; 02-26-2019 at 03:16 AM.. Reason: Remove the very last underscore charachter on last line.
This User Gave Thanks to wisecracker For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comparing variables

I have searched and found a few threads that have dealt with this, but the examples I've tried haven't seemed to help. I am monitoring our database log for high checkpoints. I can parse out the checkpoint value which can be anywhere from zero into a 3 digit number. I set a variable to be the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two variables

Script #!/bin/sh hardware=PC os=WindowsNET for i in `cat newservers` do x=`sudo /opt/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpplclients |grep $i |head -40 |grep $i|awk '{print $3;exit}'` if then echo "$i is already added" else echo "Need to add" fi done O/p in debug mode bash-2.05$... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajip23
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comparing 2 string variables in unix

search=Jul 22 date=Jul 22 if then echo They match >>this piece of code does not detect that search and date are equivalent strings.. what's wrong with it? (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: katdaniel16
17 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing variables and comparing

I have two computers with dynamic IP addresses and am using dyndns so that they are identifiable as the same computer even if their IPs change (we'll call them host1.dyndns.com and host2.dyndns.com). I also have a remote server which I would like to store my computers' IP addresses on. There is a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kerpm
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comparing variables

im trying to compare ipaddresses. i loop through an array to see if the ip is already is in the array and if it is it should set a flag and then i wont add it to the array. but its just adding all the ipaddresses to the array if ] then ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnia
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing variables in awk

I'm writing a shellscript that monitors the price of a watch. If the prices changes, it should email me. The body of the email will show the old price and the new price. However when I compare the two awk variables(oldprice and newprice) it always says they're not the same. The shellscript goes out... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shinsuio
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing multiple variables by 'if then'

Hi, I am a noob at shell scripting. basically I am trying to compare row counts from 8 tables in different databases. I have managed to get the row counts using awk from the spool files for both databases. now I have 16 variables with me for database 1 : $A $B $C $D $E $F $G... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smallville
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing variables in an if statement

#!/bin/bash #timetest TIMENOW="$(date)" T1=12:00:00 echo $TIMENOW >timenow cat timenow |cut -f4 -d' ' >time1 T2=$(sed -n "${1}p" time1) echo "T1 = " $T1 echo "T2 = " $T2 if then echo $T1 else echo $T2 fi I thought scripting was simple! So why does this script result in: T1 =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: habuchas
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk comparing variables

Is there a way to compare variables in a 'awk'? I've been trying for a while and can't figure it out. I'm guessing its not possible :/ VAR=Bob awk '$3 == $VAR { print $1 }' file.txt Regards Jikuu (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jikuu
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two variables

I have a script like this. Just couldn't get the comparison part work. Any thought? thanks, #!/usr/bin/ksh -x STEP=`echo $(basename $0 .ksh) | tr "" ""` log=/skip.log while read LINE do if then echo `date`: STEP $STEP skipped by user >> $log exit 0 fi done < $1 echo... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghostmic
0 Replies
MBK_WORK_LIB(1) 					     MBK ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES						   MBK_WORK_LIB(1)

NAME
MBK_WORK_LIB - define the mbk working directory SYNOPSYS
c-shell running setenv MBK_WORK_LIB unix path ORIGIN
This software belongs to the ALLIANCE CAD SYSTEM developed by the ASIM team at LIP6 laboratory of Universite Pierre et Marie CURIE, in Paris, France. Web : http://asim.lip6.fr/recherche/alliance/ E-mail : alliance-users@asim.lip6.fr DESCRIPTION
MBK_WORK_LIB sets the directory where are saved the results of an invocation of mbk or genlib. This directory is considered to be, from an mbk point of view, read and write. Also, when a file is searched for reading, the first directory to be looked at is the MBK_WORK_LIB, and then the one defined in MBK_CATA_LIB(1). The unix path argument must be a actually accessible path on your host machine. ERRORS
"mbk_fopen : can't open file 'unix_path/file.xx'" This occurs when either the unix path is irrelevent, or when the file doesn't exist if it is open for reading, or when you don't have the right on the file or directory while trying to write it. EXAMPLE
setenv MBK_WORK_LIB ~fred/crechan/uom SEE ALSO
mbk(3), genlib(1), MBK_CATA_LIB(1). BUG REPORT
This tool is under development at the ASIM department of the LIP6 laboratory. We need your feedback to improve documentation and tools. ASIM
/LIP6 October 1, 1997 MBK_WORK_LIB(1)