Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Comparing 2 variables in UNIX Post 303031297 by prince1987 on Monday 25th of February 2019 03:39:48 PM
Old 02-25-2019
Comparing 2 variables in UNIX

Hi,

I have 2 variables as given below. How can i compare them and say its matching ? Appreciate your help
Code:
VAR1=describe/read/write
VAR2=read/write/describe

Thanks,

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules!

Last edited by RudiC; 02-25-2019 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: Added CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comparing variables

I have searched and found a few threads that have dealt with this, but the examples I've tried haven't seemed to help. I am monitoring our database log for high checkpoints. I can parse out the checkpoint value which can be anywhere from zero into a 3 digit number. I set a variable to be the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two variables

Script #!/bin/sh hardware=PC os=WindowsNET for i in `cat newservers` do x=`sudo /opt/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpplclients |grep $i |head -40 |grep $i|awk '{print $3;exit}'` if then echo "$i is already added" else echo "Need to add" fi done O/p in debug mode bash-2.05$... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajip23
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comparing 2 string variables in unix

search=Jul 22 date=Jul 22 if then echo They match >>this piece of code does not detect that search and date are equivalent strings.. what's wrong with it? (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: katdaniel16
17 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing variables and comparing

I have two computers with dynamic IP addresses and am using dyndns so that they are identifiable as the same computer even if their IPs change (we'll call them host1.dyndns.com and host2.dyndns.com). I also have a remote server which I would like to store my computers' IP addresses on. There is a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kerpm
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comparing variables

im trying to compare ipaddresses. i loop through an array to see if the ip is already is in the array and if it is it should set a flag and then i wont add it to the array. but its just adding all the ipaddresses to the array if ] then ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnia
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing variables in awk

I'm writing a shellscript that monitors the price of a watch. If the prices changes, it should email me. The body of the email will show the old price and the new price. However when I compare the two awk variables(oldprice and newprice) it always says they're not the same. The shellscript goes out... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shinsuio
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing multiple variables by 'if then'

Hi, I am a noob at shell scripting. basically I am trying to compare row counts from 8 tables in different databases. I have managed to get the row counts using awk from the spool files for both databases. now I have 16 variables with me for database 1 : $A $B $C $D $E $F $G... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smallville
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing variables in an if statement

#!/bin/bash #timetest TIMENOW="$(date)" T1=12:00:00 echo $TIMENOW >timenow cat timenow |cut -f4 -d' ' >time1 T2=$(sed -n "${1}p" time1) echo "T1 = " $T1 echo "T2 = " $T2 if then echo $T1 else echo $T2 fi I thought scripting was simple! So why does this script result in: T1 =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: habuchas
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk comparing variables

Is there a way to compare variables in a 'awk'? I've been trying for a while and can't figure it out. I'm guessing its not possible :/ VAR=Bob awk '$3 == $VAR { print $1 }' file.txt Regards Jikuu (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jikuu
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two variables

I have a script like this. Just couldn't get the comparison part work. Any thought? thanks, #!/usr/bin/ksh -x STEP=`echo $(basename $0 .ksh) | tr "" ""` log=/skip.log while read LINE do if then echo `date`: STEP $STEP skipped by user >> $log exit 0 fi done < $1 echo... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghostmic
0 Replies
term::ansi::ctrl::unix(n)					 Terminal control					 term::ansi::ctrl::unix(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
term::ansi::ctrl::unix - Control operations and queries SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.4 package require term::ansi::ctrl::unix ?0.1? ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::import ?ns? ?arg...? ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::raw ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::raw ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::columns ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::rows _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
WARNING: This package is unix-specific and depends on the availability of two unix system commands for terminal control, i.e. stty and tput, both of which have to be found in the $PATH. If any of these two commands is missing the loading of the package will fail. The package provides commands to switch the standard input of the current process between raw and cooked input modes, and to query the size of terminals, i.e. the available number of columns and lines. API
INTROSPECTION ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::import ?ns? ?arg...? This command imports some or all attribute commands into the namespace ns. This is by default the namespace ctrl. Note that this is relative namespace name, placing the imported command into a child of the current namespace. By default all commands are imported, this can howver be restricted by listing the names of the wanted commands after the namespace argument. OPERATIONS ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::raw This command switches the standard input of the current process to raw input mode. This means that from then on all characters typed by the user are immediately reported to the application instead of waiting in the OS buffer until the Enter/Return key is received. ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::raw This command switches the standard input of the current process to cooked input mode. This means that from then on all characters typed by the user are kept in OS buffers for editing until the Enter/Return key is received. ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::columns This command queries the terminal connected to the standard input for the number of columns available for display. ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::rows This command queries the terminal connected to the standard input for the number of rows (aka lines) available for display. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category term of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. KEYWORDS
ansi, columns, control, cooked, input mode, lines, raw, rows, terminal CATEGORY
Terminal control COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2006 Andreas Kupries <andreas_kupries@users.sourceforge.net> term 0.1 term::ansi::ctrl::unix(n)