Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help building a variable string from a keyword - character replacements! Post 303031029 by ghaniba on Wednesday 20th of February 2019 02:24:37 PM
Old 02-20-2019
I'm just using a little utility Ubuntu box. Nothing special!

Thanks!

Dave aka Ghan

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match keyword on string and substitute under vi

Hi guys, with sed when I need to make a substitution inside a line containing a specific keyword, I usually use: sed '/keyword/ s/cat/dog/g' This will substitute "cat" with "dog" on those lines containing "keyword". Now I want to use this inside vi, for several reason that I cannot... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lycaon
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read and assign each character from the string to a variable

How... can I read input by a user character by cahracter. And assign each character from the string to a variable? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tek-E
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove the first character on a string in a variable

Hi all, Does anyone know how to code in ksh that will remove the first character in a string variable and replace that variable without the first character? Example: var1=ktest1 will become var1=test1 var2=rtest2 will become var2=test2 Need help please. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryukishin_17
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete first character from a string stored in a variable

Hallo! Example. #!/bin/bash BACKUP_DIR=/home/userx/backups/evolution echo $BACKUP_DIR # delete the first character from the string BACKUP_DIR=$(echo $BACKUP_DIR | cut -c 2-) echo $BACKUP_DIR It works. It does want I want, delete the first character from string in the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxinho
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change last character in string with a variable value.

Hey Guys, I have text such as this. 28003,ALCORN,2 28009,BENTON,2 28013,CALHOUN,2 28017,CHICKASAW,2 47017,CARROLL,2 05021,CLAY,0 The last digit after the final "," is a variable value. This is the base file. I have to do further execution on this file later and I need to update the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chagan02
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

couting occurences of a character inside a string and assigning it to a variable

echo "hello123" | tr -dc '' | wc -c using this command i can count the no of times a number from 0-9 occurs in the string "hello123" but how do i save this result inside a variable? if i do x= echo "hello123" | tr -dc '' | wc -c that does not work...plz suggest..thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign a variable the nth character of a string.

I see a millioin ways to do this with echo, but what I wan to do is assign a variable the "nth" character of an incoming parameter to a ksh script. $1 will be "pia" I need to assign the first character to stmttype. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: klarue
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove not only the duplicate string but also the keyword of the string in Perl

Hi Perl users, I have another problem with text processing in Perl. I have a file below: Linux Unix Linux Windows SUN MACOS SUN SUN HP-AUX I want the result below: Unix Windows SUN MACOS HP-AUX so the duplicate string will be removed and also the keyword of the string on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: askari
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a Keyword in file and replace another keyword or add at the end of line

Hi I want to implement something like this: if( keyword1 exists) then check if(keyword2 exists in the same line) then replace keyword 2 with New_Keyword else Add New_Keyword at the end of line end if eg: Check for Keyword JUNGLE and add/replace... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Inserting non printable character(s) in string variable

Hello. I have a string variable named L_TEMP to test a very simple filter. L_TEMP="50AwL.|KWp9jk" I want to insert a non printable character between K and W. I have try this : linux-g65k:~ # a='50AwL.|K' linux-g65k:~ # b='Wp9jk' linux-g65k:~ # L_TEMP="$a$'\x07'$b" linux-g65k:~ # echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
6 Replies
ptx(1)							      General Commands Manual							    ptx(1)

NAME
ptx - permuted index SYNOPSIS
[options] [input [output]] DESCRIPTION
generates the file output that can be processed with a text formatter to produce a permuted index of file input (standard input and output default). It has three phases: the first does the permutation, generating one line for each keyword in an input line. The keyword is rotated to the front. The permuted file is then sorted (see sort(1) and Environment Variables below). Finally, the sorted lines are rotated so the keyword comes at the middle of each line. output is in the form: .xx "tail" "before keyword" "keyword and after" "head" where is assumed to be an or macro provided by the user, or provided by the macro package (see NOTES below). The before keyword and key- word and after fields incorporate as much of the line as will fit around the keyword when it is printed. tail and head, at least one of which is always the empty string, are wrapped-around pieces small enough to fit in the unused space at the opposite end of the line. The following options can be applied: Fold uppercase and lowercase letters for sorting. Prepare the output for the phototypesetter by using a line length of 100. Use the next argument, n, as the length of the output line. The default line length is 72 characters for and 100 for Use the next argument, n, as the number of characters that will reserve in its calculations for each gap among the four parts of the line as finally printed. The default gap is 3. Use as keywords only the words given in the file. Do not use as keywords any words given in the ignore file. If the and options are missing, use as the ignore file. Use the characters in the break file to separate words. Tab, new-line, and space characters are used as break characters. Punctuation characters are treated as part of the word in the absence of this option. Take any leading non-blank characters of each input line to be a reference identifier (as to a page or chapter), separate from the text of the line. Attach that identifier as a 5th field on each output line. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the order in which the output is sorted. determines the default break characters. If or is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty variable. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of ``C'' (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationaliza- tion variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to ``C'' (see environ(5)). International Code Set Support Single-byte character code sets are supported. WARNINGS
Line length counts do not account for overstriking or proportional spacing. Lines containing tildes are botched because uses that character internally. FILES
NOTES
The macro package is not provided as part of the HP-UX operating system. It is part of the Documenters Work Bench (DWB) software package originally developed by AT&T which has been ported to HP9000 systems by various third-party software suppliers including Elan Computer Group, Inc. of Mountain View California and others. Permuted indexes produced by using usually have a 4-column format that some users prefer and others dislike greatly. The two-column format index provided in this manual is created by processing index entries that are hidden as comments at the end of each manual entry file. SEE ALSO
nroff(1), mm(5). ptx(1)