Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Seen Windows pc, having all the features of Linux, could exe, read and edit save like windows Post 303030473 by Corona688 on Monday 11th of February 2019 10:53:28 AM
Old 02-11-2019
To make this clear, UNIX/Linux are not FreeWindowsWithLessBugs(tm). If you look at the ways they differ from Windows and think, "I can use that feature to solve problems," then maybe Linux is for you.

The difference is as much in philosophy as anything. Windows provides the bare minimum of features and expects you to buy upgrades and proprietary programs to make up the difference. Linux has most features available by default, more robustly and with more options, with a less polished interface,

Creating disk images in Windows: Feature removed in 199x when it stopped being DOS, so dish out the moolah for a proprietary implementation.
Creating disk images in UNIX: Disks are literally files, so any command-line utility capable of reading files can deal with disks. Nonetheless there's a variety of tools. It's a bad idea to use them while the partition's being written to, but we can't stop you.

Burning CDROM images in Windows: We added this feature 20 years too late and nobody cares any more.
Burning CDROM images in UNIX: A flagship feature since 1996.

etc.

GUI-wise, Linux/Unix seem to be trying hard to imitate Windows these days. But the GUI is only skin-deep, not deeply integrated.

Last edited by Corona688; 02-11-2019 at 12:06 PM..

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how To edit exe to insert a serial no wich can be usd by runing exe

At time of installation I have to open the resource. and i have to insert a string serial number in the exe. please provide me code to edit the exe (in solaris) to insert a serial number which can be used by exe at run time. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssahu
6 Replies

2. Programming

how to start a c++ exe on unix from windows.

I'm very new to c++ & unix programming. I have a c++ exe that runs on the unix box, but I am trying to write a c++ windows app that executes the program on unix. I have tried execv(), but it doesn't seem to work or I'm doing something wrong. Would really like to see examples if at all possible. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ch5082
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Multiple instances of windows exe from unix

Hi, I have a requirement to run multiple instances of an .exe file present in windows server from unix machine. The number of threads to be invoked is determined dynamically based on a variable field. We will be passing some parameters to windows .exe file for each instance. I am a unix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam99
2 Replies

4. Linux

What's better for running Windows software in Linux, Wine or Windows VMware?

What are the differences, advantages, and disadvantages? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Advice Pro
1 Replies

5. Programming

how can I get to know what threads run within process java.exe on windows

I am writing java application on windows. There are more than 100 threads run within java.exe. I want to know what threads run within process java.exe so that I can find out if there are abnormal java threads. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mika
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Windows exe file fails when triggered from ssh

Hi, I am triggering a windows exe file using the below command. ssh user@remoteserver command.exe -option1:xx /option2:yy This command is working fine from windows command prompt. When I am triggering the same command from ssh I get the error message cant load Any ideas to deal with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
2 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Cant get responsive terminal when I ssh from Windows to Linux using putty.exe

I ssh from Windows to Linux server and execute a few commands. I have ssh keys setup between them and works fine. The commands get executed on the Linux server however I wish to stay on the Linux terminal that was opened by putty.exe. However, the terminal simply does the job and closes. ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
10 Replies
X-TILE(1)						      General Commands Manual							 X-TILE(1)

NAME
x-tile - select windows and adjust their tiling SYNOPSIS
x-tile [option][rows][columns] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the x-tile command. x-tile is a program that allows tiling selected windows as desired. In addition of the predefined tilings, it allows user to create up to two user defined tilings to be applied later. It also provides a system tray icon for faster access to tiling menu. OPTIONS
This program doesn't follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). Instead, it uses case sen- sitive single letter options, followed by arguments when required. A summary of options is included below. w Open the x-tile main window without using the panel. z Undo the latest tiling operation. v Tile all opened windows vertically. h Tile all opened windows horizontally. u Tile all opened windows triangularly, top up. d Tile all opened windows triangularly, top down. l Tile all opened windows triangularly, top left. r Tile all opened windows triangularly, top right. q Tile all opened windows in a four square grid. g Tile all opened windows in a grid with the given rows and columns. 1 Apply user defined tiling #1 to all opened windows. 2 Apply user defined tiling #2 to all opened windows. i Invert the order of the latest tiling operation. m Maximize all opened windows. M Unmaximize all opened windows. c Close all opened windows. Any other Show a brief summary of options. AUTHORS
x-tile was written by Giuseppe Penone <giuspen@gmail.com> and Chris Camacho <chris_camacho@yahoo.com>. This manual page was written by Ricardo Mones <mones@debian.org>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). May 7, 2012 X-TILE(1)