Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Simple conditional yields too many responses Post 303030471 by vbe on Monday 11th of February 2019 10:17:55 AM
Old 02-11-2019
If you find a match to your IF condition, you should exit otherwise you continue in the loop which explains why you have those lines, I let you figure out what to do the the other case, because you could have the case of nothing found and again you would have so many lines...
Hint: Use a variable you set and use it at the end once out of the loop...

Last edited by vbe; 02-11-2019 at 11:23 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to vbe For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ping to machine and count responses

if i wanted to ping all the machines in a given directory (/etc/hosts) and return a total count of responses how would i go about scripting that? complete newbie...so be gentle if ; then //$1 = /etc/hosts cd "$1" //this puts me into the directory i need...but how do i send ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trostycp
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to automate responses

I would have searched for this but I couldn't really think of what to use for the search text... I've got a situation where I need to automate responses to an executable when running it from a script so that it can be made into a job the operators don't have to interact with. When I run it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djp
2 Replies

3. Linux

How do I capture responses from the chat command?

Unfortunately googling the word 'chat' gives you zebedee billion responses that relate to everything and few of them refer to the linux chat command. I've read the man page and found a couple of examples but can't see how to do this. I want to query the modem for it's manufacturer, product id... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using AWK to Calculate Correct Responses

Hello, I am trying to count how many times a subject makes a correct switch or a correct stay response in a simple task. I have data on which condition they were in (here, labeled "IMAGINE" and "RECALL"), as well as whether they made a left or right button response, and whether the outcome was... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jahn
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple awk conditional one-liner

Hello, I'm looking for an awk one-liner that prints the first two data fields, then contains a conditional where if $3>$4, it prints $3-$4. Otherwise, it prints $3. Example: Data file: 123,456,999,888 333,222,444,555 654,543,345,888 444,777,333,111 Output: 123,456,111 333,222,444... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: palex
2 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

SNMP responses failing under high system load

Greetings, I've got a Zenoss v2.5 server monitoring a large video encoding farm. Needless to say, these systems are under high bandwidth and CPU utilization the majority of the time. What I'm running into is that, occasionally, these systems will fail to respond to a standard SNMP request,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Karunamon
1 Replies

7. IP Networking

DNS: Dig returns different responses...

Hey everyone, Okay, so I've been having some fun with the dig command, and wanted to dig my old school. Two questions came up from this. So I: dig @8.8.8.8 +recurse njcu.edu ANY and the result is about 8 records, including the SOA record. One of them is this weird TXT record, and the other is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lost in Cyberia
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cp via NFS vs. scp yields unexpected difference

I have two Linux machines, Linux1 and Linux2. They both have two NFS mounts. We'll call them /scratch1 and /scratch2. And they both reside on the same NetApp filer. If I copy a 512Mb file from /scratch1 to /scratch2 while logged on Linux1 it takes 40s. However if I scp this file from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crimso
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a file - and assigning responses to variables (or something)

So first: Sorry if the title is confusing... I have a script I'm writing with a file with several names in it (some other info - but it's not really pertinent...) - I want to be allow the user to delete certain records, but I ran into a problem I'm not sure how to go about fixing. If I were... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabster
6 Replies
if(n)							       Tcl Built-In Commands							     if(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
if - Execute scripts conditionally SYNOPSIS
if expr1 ?then? body1 elseif expr2 ?then? body2 elseif ... ?else? ?bodyN? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The if command evaluates expr1 as an expression (in the same way that expr evaluates its argument). The value of the expression must be a boolean (a numeric value, where 0 is false and anything is true, or a string value such as true or yes for true and false or no for false); if it is true then body1 is executed by passing it to the Tcl interpreter. Otherwise expr2 is evaluated as an expression and if it is true then body2 is executed, and so on. If none of the expressions evaluates to true then bodyN is executed. The then and else arguments are optional "noise words" to make the command easier to read. There may be any number of elseif clauses, including zero. BodyN may also be omitted as long as else is omitted too. The return value from the command is the result of the body script that was executed, or an empty string if none of the expressions was non-zero and there was no bodyN. EXAMPLES
A simple conditional: if {$vbl == 1} { puts "vbl is one" } With an else-clause: if {$vbl == 1} { puts "vbl is one" } else { puts "vbl is not one" } With an elseif-clause too: if {$vbl == 1} { puts "vbl is one" } elseif {$vbl == 2} { puts "vbl is two" } else { puts "vbl is not one or two" } Remember, expressions can be multi-line, but in that case it can be a good idea to use the optional then keyword for clarity: if { $vbl == 1 || $vbl == 2 || $vbl == 3 } then { puts "vbl is one, two or three" } SEE ALSO
expr(n), for(n), foreach(n) KEYWORDS
boolean, conditional, else, false, if, true Tcl if(n)