Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Things i Hate (Or: Rants by an Old Man) Post 303030386 by bakunin on Friday 8th of February 2019 04:04:51 PM
Old 02-08-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Looked at in that light, they're as pure-as-snow as they were in 1998. They're still chugging along "for free", and if their search isn't what it's was, it's still on the "good" side of okay. We just finally understand the implications of what they've been selling, and to whom, all along.
Well, this is simply capitalism in action: a capitalist company has one (and only one) purpose and that is generating revenue for its owner(s). Everything else is just a means to that end. A supermarket doesn't want to get fresh vegetables for you, but selling them is their way of getting to your money. The same with Google. They are not a "search-engine", they are a company looking for profit and the search engine is just their means of making it. That means, as long as people use it in large enough quantities they couldn't care less about how successful these people are in finding what they search for.

Google is nothing like "pure-as-snow" at all. It is just that the profit rates in this specific kind of industry was big enough for them to feel no pressure to "optimize" (say: enlarge the amount of revenue per transaction) their business and still make a lot of money. Once that changed and competitors were there they did exactly that and did like any other company. Like the insurance company that advertises "we want you to feel safe" while minimising their expenditures and maximising your rates. After all, the difference between what you pay them and what they pay you back is what they make.

So, bottom line: if you don't like how football is played you cannot ask teams to use suboptimal strategies, you have to change the rules. These rules are responsible for some strategy being optimal and if you change them some other strategy will become optimal. If you don't like how capitalism works you cannot rely on companies discovering their "heart" but you have to change the rules of how production and consumption in our society works.

Be prepared, though, that this will not work peacefully at all. Our society is based on rules which guarantee that with much money also comes much power. To undertake to wrestle power from the hands of those who have it has always been a violent episode in history. The ones with power usually cling to it and don't want to give it to others.

bakunin

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Don't hate me because I'm stupid...

Hi all, I don't know the first thing about Unix, but I would like to learn. I would like to know what the difference between Linux and Unix is, and where I can obtain a copy of either. Thanks :o (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ThisIsNewToMe
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

i hate gtk and kde!

i don't want to install any themes, but i do want to get rid of the god awful color scheme it defaults to. i've tried editing /usr/X11R6/share/themes/Default/gtk-2.0/gtkrc, but to no avail. i've also changed, and even removed the .gtkrc-kde that kde generates automatically, also to no avail. ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: brandan
12 Replies

3. Programming

Complicating things?

So basically what im trying to do is ... Open file, read that file, than try to find .. We or we and replace them with I, but not replace the cases where words contain We or we, such as Went, went, etc a and replace them with the, but not replace the cases where words contain a, such as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bconnor
1 Replies

4. Programming

Question about several things in C

Hey guys, first of all I'd like to say Hi to everyone. I am new here and this is my first post. I have a question about some C stuff. I am in Computer Science and I have an assignment for a UNIX Applications course. It is really complicated, however. We're using the C language for this and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: V4D3R
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

I hate SED - please help!!

Hi all I have been googling for ages but with no prevail hence this new thread. I would like to add a new line after a particular text string. For example, assume the original file contains the following text: .. line1 line2 line3 .. I would like to insert the text string... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: robbiegregg
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Just trying to find out a few things ....

Hi everyone Just a couple of quick questions if I may. Can I ask what is meant by "flavours"?? I've come across it many times in the forums and I'm guessing that it is a variery of either Linux or UNIX (I know nil about either) which has developed but not really got a clue. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tiramisu
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

things root can't do

Hey all my co-workers and I are trying to put together a list of things root "Can't" do on any *NIX OS, so I wanted to come here and see what all we could come up with. Here are two to start this off: write to a read only mount FS kill a tape rewind Please add what you know. Thanks,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunadmn
5 Replies

8. Solaris

man and ldm man

According to Sun documentation (Ldoms 1.1 Administration Guide), To access the ldm(1M) man page, add the directory path /opt/SUNWldm/man to the variable $MANPATH. When I add the lines: MANPATH=$MANPATH:/opt/SUNWldm/man export MANPATH to .profile, exit root and re-login, I would have "man ldm"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: StarSol
5 Replies
FSF-FUNDING(7)                                                          GNU                                                         FSF-FUNDING(7)

NAME
fsf-funding - Funding Free Software DESCRIPTION
Funding Free Software If you want to have more free software a few years from now, it makes sense for you to help encourage people to contribute funds for its development. The most effective approach known is to encourage commercial redistributors to donate. Users of free software systems can boost the pace of development by encouraging for-a-fee distributors to donate part of their selling price to free software developers---the Free Software Foundation, and others. The way to convince distributors to do this is to demand it and expect it from them. So when you compare distributors, judge them partly by how much they give to free software development. Show distributors they must compete to be the one who gives the most. To make this approach work, you must insist on numbers that you can compare, such as, "We will donate ten dollars to the Frobnitz project for each disk sold." Don't be satisfied with a vague promise, such as "A portion of the profits are donated," since it doesn't give a basis for comparison. Even a precise fraction "of the profits from this disk" is not very meaningful, since creative accounting and unrelated business decisions can greatly alter what fraction of the sales price counts as profit. If the price you pay is $50, ten percent of the profit is probably less than a dollar; it might be a few cents, or nothing at all. Some redistributors do development work themselves. This is useful too; but to keep everyone honest, you need to inquire how much they do, and what kind. Some kinds of development make much more long-term difference than others. For example, maintaining a separate version of a program contributes very little; maintaining the standard version of a program for the whole community contributes much. Easy new ports contribute little, since someone else would surely do them; difficult ports such as adding a new CPU to the GNU Compiler Collection con- tribute more; major new features or packages contribute the most. By establishing the idea that supporting further development is "the proper thing to do" when distributing free software for a fee, we can assure a steady flow of resources into making more free software. SEE ALSO
gpl(7), gfdl(7). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1994 Free Software Foundation, Inc. Verbatim copying and redistribution of this section is permitted without royalty; alter- ation is not permitted. gcc-4.3.0 2007-05-12 FSF-FUNDING(7)