Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh String Manipulation - removing variables from within a variable Post 303029816 by Neo on Friday 1st of February 2019 06:18:18 AM
Old 02-01-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by user052009
Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it.
When you want to give thanks to a member for their help, please click on the "thumbs up" icon in the post(s) you want to thank them.

Everyone here appreciates a bit of thanks for their work.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract from string variable into new variables

I have a variable which consists of a string like this: 001 aaabc 44 a bbb12 How do I extract each substring, delimited by the spaces, into new variables - one for each substring? eg var1 will be 001, var2 will be aaabc, var3 will be 44, var4 will be a, etc? I've come up with this:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sniper Pixie
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH split string into variables

Hello, I am an intermediate scripter. I can usually find and adapt what I need by searching through previous postings, but I'm stumped. I have a string with the format "{Name1 Release1 Type1 Parent1} {Name2 Release2 Type2 Parent2}". It is being passed as an argument into a ksh script. I need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: drd_2b
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

String manipulation using ksh

I have a UNIX shell where: LEVEL=dev SITE=here and WHEREIAM=/tmp/$SITE/location/$LEVEL I want to echo $WHEREIAM in such a way that I get it back with all the environment variables resolved (/tmp/here/location/dev). This command will be used in a shell script. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zambo
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

string manipulation in ksh

Hi all, I'm trying to extract the name of a script that is being run with a full path. i.e. if the script name is /some/where/path/script_name.ksh I'd like to extract only: script_name i know that it is possible to do so in two phases: echo "${0##*/}" will give me script_name.ksh and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iceman
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash string variable manipulation

In a bash script I've set a variable that is the directory name of where an executable lives. the_dir=`dirname $which myscript` which equates to something like "/path/to/dir/bin" I need to cut that down to remove the "bin" so I now have "/path/to/dir/". This sounds easy but as a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Witty
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash:How to split one string variable in two variables?

Hello, I have a paramter $param consisting just of two literals and want to split it into two parameters, so I can combine it to a new parameter <char1><string><char2>, but the following code didn't work: tmp_PARAM_1=cut -c1 $PARAM tmp_PARAM_2=cut -c2 $PARAM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ABE2202
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh in Linux Removing: "\0" From String

Hi All, I am facing a problem and I am not able to solve it. I have already searched google, but nothing (maybe I am not using the correct key words). As a database query result, I have a file like below: fmv:/home/fmv/tmp>cat TestBackRef.txt /^TEST\(\{4\}\)X\{12\}Y\.txt$/\0#\1/#Test... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: felipe.vinturin
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

String manipulation using ksh script

Hi, I need to convert string "(joe.smith" into "joe_smith" i.e. I need to remove the leading opening brace '(' and replace the dot '.' with an under score '_' can anyone suggest a one liner ksh script or unix command for this please (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdj
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert string(variable) into date( epoch) in ksh on HPUX machine?

Hi all, I have used a bash script which ultimately converts a string into date using date --date option: DATE=$DATE" "$TIME" "`date +%Y` //concatenating 2 strings TMRW_DATE=`date --date="$DATE" +"%s"` //applying date command on string and getting the unixtime Please use code tags... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rashu123
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable string manipulation

Hi, I have a variable with grep output like this: WORDS=$(grep -r -c -i -E "palindrom" /"$DIRECTORY"/) so "echo "$WORDS"" could be: //directory/file1.txt:0 //directory/file2.txt:0 //directory/file3.txt:3 //directory/file4.txt:1 //directory/file5.txt:0 I need to "sed" my variable... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hornys
3 Replies
shift(1)							   User Commands							  shift(1)

NAME
shift - shell built-in function to traverse either a shell's argument list or a list of field-separated words SYNOPSIS
sh shift [n] csh shift [variable] ksh * shift [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The positional parameters from $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ... . If n is not given, it is assumed to be 1. csh The components of argv, or variable, if supplied, are shifted to the left, discarding the first component. It is an error for the variable not to be set or to have a null value. ksh The positional parameters from $n+1 $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ..., default n is 1. The parameter n can be any arithmetic expression that evaluates to a non-negative number less than or equal to $#. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 shift(1)