Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Calling specific characters from a find variable Post 303029401 by Don Cragun on Friday 25th of January 2019 09:41:24 PM
Old 01-25-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribling
Thank you for taking the time to reply, but I really don't understand what the big confusion is.

I need to search several directories for a specific directory name, which will occur in every directory and then make a symlink in the working directory and append it's name with a part of the file name that will tell me where it came from. Those characters are 53:14 ... I'm very sorry my "example" was only nine - it was only an example as I said.

The deal is that these directories are 5 or 6 levels deep in each and I have to go to them often and I'm sick of digging through each folder each time. If I have smylinks in one directory that tells me where they came from I have a single click option to get to them.

I understand that find doesn't expand a variable or whatever which is why I'm asking for help on how to do it.

I'm sorry I haven't done this in a while so I'm a bit rusty.

I need the result of find to be set as a variable that I can extract 53:14 from and use it in the file name of the symlink.

I work in production. We have hundreds of shots and each one has a render directory. I would like to make one directory that has symlinks to all of them with their names which happen to be in the path at 53:14.
The final result would look exactly like this: BT_907_725_150 Renders

I don't think I can be any more clear than that.

I'm really frustrated, sorry.
You have at least three people who have responded to your question asking for a very easy to provide sample of the pathnames you're trying to process and the corresponding ln commands you hope to create from those pathnames. Imagine how frustrated we are to see that after being asked for this data four times you still refuse to give us any sample data to work with.

If you would have given us the information I requested in post #2 in this thread 22 hours ago, I'm absolutely positive that you would have had a working script at least 14 hours ago. Since you refuse to give us the information we need to be sure we have something that will meet your needs, maybe we should all just give up. Smilie

Please show us a couple of sample pathnames produced by:
Code:
find . -type d -name 'blablabla'

(presumably replacing blablabla by whatever directory filename or filename pattern you're really using), and show us the corresponding exact ln commands you hope to produce from those pathnames.

If you're unable to meet this simple request in your next post, I'll close this thread, remember the amount of time I've wasted trying to help you, and never respond to any of your future posts again.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling a aliased variable

Issue: i have variable A which is an alias for variable B which is equal to "THIS IS A TEST" when every i echo variable A i only get the alias name for variable B, NOT the contents of variable B. HOSTNAME# echo $TESTIT + echo THIS IS A TEST THIS IS A TEST HOSTNAME# ls -l total... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace a string a specific value in specific location in AIX

Hi, I have following samp.txt file in unix. samp.txt 01Roy2D3M000000 02Rad2D3M222222 . . . . 10Mik0A2M343443 Desired Output 01Roy2A3M000000 02Rad2A3M222222 . . (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't figure out how to find specific characters in specific columns

I am trying to find a specific set of characters in a long file. I only want to find the characters in column 265 for 4 bytes. Is there a search for that? I tried cut but couldn't get it to work. Ex. I want to find '9999' in column 265 for 4 bytes. If it is in there, I want it to print... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Drenhead
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific characters at specific column positions

Hi all, I need help. I have an input text file (input.txt) like this: 21 GTGCAACACCGTCTTGAGAGG 50 21 GACCGAGACAGAATGAAAATC 73 21 CGGGTCTGTAGTAGCAAACGC 108 21 CGAAAAATGAACCCCTTTATC 220 21 CGTGATCCTGTTGAAGGGTCG 259 Now I need to count A/T/G/C numbers at each character location in column... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thienxho
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling a Variable based on a Variable

Hi all, I have a source config file with variables like so: eth1_ip=192.168.1.99 eth2_ip=192.168.1.123 eth3_ip=172.16.1.1 I am trying to run a script which loops based on the number of eth interfaces on a machine and therefore modifies the variable it calls in the environment based on the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: landossa
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex in sed to find specific pattern and assign to variable

(5 Replies)
Discussion started by: radioactive9
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace with 0 for characters in a specific position

Need command for position based replace: I need a command to replace with 0 for characters in the positions 11 to 20 to all the lines starts with 6 in a file. For example the file ABC.txt has: abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz 6abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thangabalu
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling a variable of variable from a file

Hi All, I have file which have looks like below abc=${def} def=${efg} efg= "this is the actual value" based on "abc" value I have to call "efg" value , Am using below lines but it is not working #!/bin/bash source file.txt echo $abc Please wrap all code, files, input &... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prashanth.K
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find records with specific characters in 2 nd field

Hi , I have a requirement to read a file ( 5 fields , ~ delimited) and find the records which contain anything other than Alphabets, Numbers , comma ,space and dot . ie a-z and A-Z and 0-9 and . and " " and , in 2nd field. Once I do that i would want the result to have field1|<flag> flag can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashwin3086
2 Replies
hal-find(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      hal-find(1M)

NAME
hal-find, hal-find-by-capability, hal-find-by-property - search HAL global device list SYNOPSIS
hal-find-by-capability --capability capability [--help] [--verbose] [--version] hal-find-by-property --key key --string value [--help] [--verbose] [--version] DESCRIPTION
The hal-find commands, hal-find-by-capability and hal-find-by-property, search the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) device list by speci- fied criteria and displays results on the standard output. hal-find-by-capability searches by capability, such as volume or block. hal- find-by-property searches by property, such as block.is_volume or volume.disc.has_audio. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --capability capability HAL device capability to search for. --help Display list of options. --key key The key to the property that is the basis of the search. --string value The string value associated with the property that is the basis of the search. --verbose Verbose mode. --version Display version and exit. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWhalr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
hald(1M), attributes(5), hal(5) SunOS 5.11 22 Aug 2006 hal-find(1M)