Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Failing to add new NetApp disk AIX 7.1 - but no error Post 303029257 by sid on Wednesday 23rd of January 2019 05:48:53 PM
Old 01-23-2019
Failing to add new NetApp disk AIX 7.1 - but no error

Hello, AIX 7.1 - several NetApp disks already running. Trying to install a new one. Storage folks provision it. I run cfgmgr - nothing. no new disks show up in "lsdev", "sanlun lun show" shows no new device. No errors, just nothing. Storage guys disconnect it and attaches to another aix server - allegedly identical software, "cfgmgr" and the new disk shows up.

I'm kinda stuck - any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX 5.3 errpt full of message: DISK OPERATION ERROR

Hi All, Can anyone explain me the meanning of the following errors: LABEL: SC_DISK_ERR2 IDENTIFIER: B6267342 Description DISK OPERATION ERROR Probable Causes DASD DEVICE Failure Causes DISK DRIVE DISK DRIVE ELECTRONICS Recommended Actions PERFORM PROBLEM DETERMINATION... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gianlu
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can not get netapp to mount RPC Not registered error

getting "NFS mount: netapp : RPC: Program not registered" error searched the site but none of the fixes from previous threads are helping (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: calamine
2 Replies

3. Solaris

( VxVM ) How to add the removed disk back to previous disk group

Previously , i remove the disk by #vxdg -g testdg -k rmdisk testdg02 But i got error when i -k adddisk bash-2.03# vxdisk list DEVICE TYPE DISK GROUP STATUS c0t0d0s2 auto:none - - online invalid c0t1d0s2 auto:none ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: waibabe
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Failing to write retrieve script for tape to disk conversion

I have the below script which has been written to retrieve files from tape drive i.e. TSM server. Now i have to write the script using UNIX commands for retrieve operation but I am not able to proceed. The script is: #!/usr/local/bin/expect -f set timeout 1800 set file spawn $env(SHELL)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hrsaurav
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help!! Failing HP-UX 11 system disk

Firstly, system setup - HP900 K460, 3 internal hard drives that make up the system volume group(vg00) no software mirroring HP-ux version 11.00 2 Nike 20 raid arrays attached, fully populated with 40 4gb hot swap drives(All used in production environment) I have 3 disks that make up my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rees_a
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy failing disk to Spare

Hi Guys, I have a failing 4gb (c0t5d0) drive that contains lvol4 -8 on hp-ux. It's not the boot disk but is part of VG00 volume group. Within that group, I have a disk (c0t4d0) of the same size that has 1 lvol on it for swap(4gb) I also have a seperate 1.5 gb swap volume on another physical disk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rees_a
1 Replies

7. AIX

FIREFOX Failing in AIX

Hi Guys, I tried running the firefox in AIX 6.1 and got the below error.. -bash-3.00# firefox Could not load program /usr/mozilla/firefox/firefox-bin: Could not load module /usr/mozilla/firefox/libxul.so. Dependent module /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.a(libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0) could not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkeng808
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while executing disk space script in AIX

#!/bin/ksh for AIX used=0 mount=${1:-"/mountpoint"} threshold=${2:-80} #message="hello" #SUBJECT="Disk Space Alert" #EMAIL="xyz@abcinc.com" used=`df -k $mount | grep % | awk '{print $5}' | sed 's/%//g'` #echo "Free Space available under \"$mount\" is `expr 100 - $used`%.\n">$message ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshw61
6 Replies

9. AIX

Clone or mirror your AIX OS larger disk to smaller disk ?

hello folks, I have a 300GB ROOTVG volume groups with one filesystem /backup having 200GB allocated space Now, I cannot alt disk clone or mirrorvg this hdisk with another smaller disk. The disk size has to be 300GB; I tried alt disk clone and mirrorvg , it doesn't work. you cannot copy LVs as... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
9 Replies

10. AIX

SIGTERM failing in AIX

I have 2 AIX 6.1 systems running on PowerPCs - production and .. .everything else. :p . Until the installation of a TLS certificate in an application, some copying of files ("cloning an environment") and upgrading a listener, sending a kill -15 worked on any script/application, so long as we were... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mrucker
6 Replies
voldctl(8)						      System Manager's Manual							voldctl(8)

NAME
voldctl - Controls the volume configuration daemon SYNOPSIS
/sbin/voldctl init [hostid] /sbin/voldctl hostid hostid /sbin/voldctl add disk accessname [attr[=value]]... /sbin/voldctl rm disk accessname... /sbin/voldctl list /sbin/voldctl enable /sbin/voldctl disable /sbin/voldctl [-k] stop /sbin/voldctl mode /sbin/voldctl license [init] DESCRIPTION
The voldctl utility manages some aspects of the state of the volume configuration daemon, vold, and manages configuration aspects related to bootstrapping the rootdg disk group configuration. A key part of the state of vold and of bootstrapping the rootdg disk group is the /etc/vol/volboot file. This file contains a host ID, which is usually the host name, that LSM uses to establish ownership of physical disks. This host ID is used to ensure that two or more hosts that can access disks on a shared SCSI bus will not interfere with each other in their use of those disks. This host ID is also important in the generation of some unique ID strings that are used internally by the Logical Storage Manager for stamping disks and disk groups. The /etc/vol/volboot file may also contain a list of disks to scan in search of the rootdg disk group. This list is only needed if the autoconfiguration functionality of LSM is disabled (see vold(8) for details). At least one disk in the list must be both readable and a part of the rootdg disk group, or the Logical Storage Manager will not be able to start up correctly. The vold daemon operates in one of three modes: enabled, disabled, or booted. The enabled state is the normal operating state. Most con- figuration operations are allowed in the enabled state. Entering the enabled state imports all disk groups that were previously imported on this host, and begins the management of device nodes stored in the /dev/vol and /dev/rvol directories. In the disabled state, vold does not retain configuration information for the imported disk groups, and does not maintain the volume device directories. Most operations are disallowed in the disabled state. Certain failures, most commonly the loss of all disks or configuration copies in the rootdg disk group, will cause vold to enter the disabled state automatically. The booted state is entered as part of normal system startup, prior to checking the root file system (see fsck(1)). Entering the booted mode imports the rootdg disk group, and then waits for a request to enter the enabled mode. The volume device node directories are not maintained in booted mode, because it may not be possible to write to the root file system. KEYWORDS
The action performed by voldctl depends upon the keyword specified as the first operand. Supported keywords are: Reinitializes the /etc/vol/volboot file with a new host ID (which is usually the host name), and an empty list of disks. If a hostid operand is specified, this string is used; otherwise, a default host ID is used. On systems with a hardware-defined system ID, the default host ID might be derived from this hardware ID. Changes the host ID, which is usually the host name, in the /etc/vol/volboot file and on all disks in disk groups currently imported on this machine. It may be desirable to change the Logical Storage Manager host ID for your machine if you are also changing the network node name of your machine. If some disks are inaccessible at the time of a hostid operation, it may be necessary to use the voldisk clearimport operation to clear out the old host ID on those disks when they become reaccessible. Otherwise, you may not be able to re-add those disks to their disk groups. Note Take care when using this command. If the system crashes before the hostid operation completes, some disk groups may not reimport automatically. Adds to the list of disks in the /etc/vol/volboot file. Disks are specified based on their disk access name. This name identifies the physical address of the disk. For example, to add disk dsk3c you might use the command: /sbin/voldctl add disk dsk3c If there is a disk access record in the rootdg configuration for the named disk, configuration parameters are taken from that record. Otherwise, it may be necessary to specify some attributes to voldctl add disk. Removes one or more disks from the /etc/vol/volboot file. Disks are specified based on the name used in the corresponding voldctl add disk operation. Lists the con- tents of the /etc/vol/volboot file. This list includes the host ID (which is usually the host name), some sequence numbers, and the list of disks and disk attributes stored in the /etc/vol/volboot file. Requests that vold enter enabled mode, import all disk groups that were previously imported on this host, and rebuild the volume device node directories. This operation can be used even if vold is already in enabled mode, however any deported disk groups remain deported. The primary purpose for using this operation when in enabled mode is to rebuild the volume device nodes. This operation will also cause vold to scan for any disks that were newly added since vold was last started. In this manner, disks can be dynamically configured to the system and then recognized by the Logical Storage Manager. If this operation fails, voldctl exits with the appropriate error status and displays an error message. Requests that vold enter disabled mode. This may be necessary to perform some maintenance operations. This does not disable any configuration state loaded into the kernel. It only prevents further configuration changes to loaded disk groups until vold is re-enabled. Requests that vold exit. This may be necessary to reset the Logical Storage Manager, such as using the -r reset option to vold. This does not disable any configuration state loaded into the kernel. It only affects the ability to make configuration changes until vold is restarted. If the -k option is used vold will be stopped by sending it a SIGKILL signal. The command will delay for up to 1 second to verify that vold has exited. After 1 second if vold has not exited an error will be returned. Prints the current operating mode of vold. The output format is: mode: operating_mode where operating_mode is either enabled, disabled, booted, or not-running. With an argument of init, requests that vold re-read any persistently stored license information. If licenses have expired, this may cause some features to become unavailable. If new licenses have been added, this will make the features defined in those licenses available. With no arguments, voldctl license prints the list of features which are currently available based on known licensing information. SEE ALSO
volintro(8), vold(8), voldg(8), voldisk(8), signal(4) voldctl(8)