Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reason for no directory creation date Post 303029120 by Don Cragun on Monday 21st of January 2019 06:28:44 PM
Old 01-21-2019
Most file system types used on BSD, Linux, and UNIX systems do not save a timestamp indicating when a file was created (and a directory is one type of a "file"). If a frequently used file system type on your system does save file creation timestamps, there is probably an option on the ls utility on your system that will print files' creation dates instead of the last modification time of the file's contents (default), last modification time of the file's metadata (-c option), or the last access time of the file (-u option) when printing a long listing (-l option).

You'll have to check the man page for ls on your system to determine whether or not your system provides such an option and what filesystem types support it, if it does.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

directory creation

Hi Friends, I am trying to move some files from one directory to another. but if the destination directory doesnt exist then i have to create one and then move files to that. For this i have to write a script. please help. thanks in advance Veera (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sveera
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Account creation date

Hi All, Is there a simple and obvious way to see when an account was created.An account has come to my attention in /etc/passwd and a last on it shows having never logged in and the home directory looks to be a couple of years old. Just wondering if I'm over looking anything obvious. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hayez
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing Creation Date to a Prespecified Date of a File In Unix

Dear Expert, Is there a command to do that in Unix? In such a way that we don't need to actually "write" or modified the content. -- monkfan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: monkfan
4 Replies

4. AIX

User ID creation date

Dear All, I'd like to know is there any way to determine when a user id created in AIX? Thanks, Istvan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: istvan.banai
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep by range of date from file creation in directory

Hi Expert, Need your scripting and finding data so that it help me to find the culprit of this memory usage error. Data provided here is a sample. Process Snapshot directory: /var/spool/processes-snapshot webdev9o9% pwd /var/spool/processes-snapshot webdev9o9% ls -lrct -rw-r--r-- ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: regmaster
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creation date of a directory

what's the command to find the creation date of a certain dirctory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: miss_dodi
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files from one directory to another based on creation/modification date

Hi All, Really stuck up with a requirement where I need to move a file (Lets say date_Employee.txt--the date will have different date values like 20120612/20120613 etc) from one directory to another based on creation/modification dates. While visiting couple of posts, i could see we can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to find files, those can be present anywhere in the directory tree,based on its creation date

Hi I am unable to find files, those are present anywhere in the same directory tree, based on the creation date. I need to find the files with their path, as I need to create them in another location and move them. I need some help with a script that may do the job. Please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam192837465
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to copy creation date over top of modified date?

Can someone draw up a script that for every file, folder and subfolder and files that will copy the creation date over top of the modified date?? I know how to touch every file recursively, but no idea how to read a files creation date then use that to touch the modification date of that file,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: toysareforboys
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash directory loop and order by creation date?

Hello, how in bash i can get directory loop and order by creation date? THX! :) #!/bin/bash for folder in /home/test/* do if ; then echo $folder; fi (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZerO13
12 Replies
MOUNTPOINT(1)							   User Commands						     MOUNTPOINT(1)

NAME
mountpoint - see if a directory is a mountpoint SYNOPSIS
mountpoint [-q] [-d] directory mountpoint -x device DESCRIPTION
mountpoint checks if the directory is mentioned in the /proc/self/mountinfo file. OPTIONS
-h, --help Print help and exit. -q, --quiet Be quiet - don't print anything. -d, --fs-devno Print major/minor device number of the filesystem on stdout. -x, --devno Print major/minor device number of the blockdevice on stdout. EXIT STATUS
Zero if the directory is a mountpoint, non-zero if not. AUTHOR
Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> ENVIRONMENT
LIBMOUNT_DEBUG=0xffff enables debug output. NOTES
The util-linux mountpoint implementation was written from scratch for libmount. The original version for sysvinit suite was written by Miquel van Smoorenburg. SEE ALSO
mount(8) AVAILABILITY
The mountpoint command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2011 MOUNTPOINT(1)