Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reason for no directory creation date Post 303029118 by drew77 on Monday 21st of January 2019 05:30:46 PM
Old 01-21-2019
Reason for no directory creation date

i read here that linux provides no way to determine when a directory was created.

Code:
https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/157874-creation-date-directory.html

I have a directory /home/andy/scripts that had a README file in it.

That file says
Quote:
Scripts placed in this folder will be executed on restore. Name scripts in the order in which they should be executed.
I put the script in that directory and in doing so, the directory Date Modified field changed to the time I put the script in that directory.

The script does NOT execute when my computer returns from a sleep state.

I was hoping to find if that directory was created when I installed Ubuntu.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

directory creation

Hi Friends, I am trying to move some files from one directory to another. but if the destination directory doesnt exist then i have to create one and then move files to that. For this i have to write a script. please help. thanks in advance Veera (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sveera
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Account creation date

Hi All, Is there a simple and obvious way to see when an account was created.An account has come to my attention in /etc/passwd and a last on it shows having never logged in and the home directory looks to be a couple of years old. Just wondering if I'm over looking anything obvious. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hayez
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing Creation Date to a Prespecified Date of a File In Unix

Dear Expert, Is there a command to do that in Unix? In such a way that we don't need to actually "write" or modified the content. -- monkfan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: monkfan
4 Replies

4. AIX

User ID creation date

Dear All, I'd like to know is there any way to determine when a user id created in AIX? Thanks, Istvan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: istvan.banai
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep by range of date from file creation in directory

Hi Expert, Need your scripting and finding data so that it help me to find the culprit of this memory usage error. Data provided here is a sample. Process Snapshot directory: /var/spool/processes-snapshot webdev9o9% pwd /var/spool/processes-snapshot webdev9o9% ls -lrct -rw-r--r-- ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: regmaster
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creation date of a directory

what's the command to find the creation date of a certain dirctory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: miss_dodi
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files from one directory to another based on creation/modification date

Hi All, Really stuck up with a requirement where I need to move a file (Lets say date_Employee.txt--the date will have different date values like 20120612/20120613 etc) from one directory to another based on creation/modification dates. While visiting couple of posts, i could see we can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to find files, those can be present anywhere in the directory tree,based on its creation date

Hi I am unable to find files, those are present anywhere in the same directory tree, based on the creation date. I need to find the files with their path, as I need to create them in another location and move them. I need some help with a script that may do the job. Please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam192837465
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to copy creation date over top of modified date?

Can someone draw up a script that for every file, folder and subfolder and files that will copy the creation date over top of the modified date?? I know how to touch every file recursively, but no idea how to read a files creation date then use that to touch the modification date of that file,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: toysareforboys
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash directory loop and order by creation date?

Hello, how in bash i can get directory loop and order by creation date? THX! :) #!/bin/bash for folder in /home/test/* do if ; then echo $folder; fi (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZerO13
12 Replies
init.d(4)																 init.d(4)

NAME
init.d - initialization and termination scripts for changing init states SYNOPSIS
/etc/init.d /etc/init.d is a directory containing initialization and termination scripts for changing init states. These scripts are linked when appro- priate to files in the rc?.d directories, where `?' is a single character corresponding to the init state. See init(1M) for definitions of the states. The service management facility (see smf(5)) is the preferred mechanism for service initiation and termination. The init.d and rc?.d direc- tories are obsolete, and are provided for compatibility purposes only. Applications launched from these directories by svc.startd(1M) are incomplete services, and will not be restarted on failure. File names in rc?.d directories are of the form [SK]nn<init.d filename>, where S means start this job, K means kill this job, and nn is the relative sequence number for killing or starting the job. When entering a state (init S,0,2,3,etc.) the rc[S0-6] script executes those scripts in /etc/rc[S0-6].d that are prefixed with K followed by those scripts prefixed with S. When executing each script in one of the /etc/rc[S0-6] directories, the /sbin/rc[S0-6] script passes a single argument. It passes the argument 'stop' for scripts prefixed with K and the argument 'start' for scripts prefixed with S. There is no harm in applying the same sequence number to multiple scripts. In this case the order of execution is deterministic but unspecified. Guidelines for selecting sequence numbers are provided in README files located in the directory associated with that target state. For example, /etc/rc[S0-6].d/README. Absence of a README file indicates that there are currently no established guidelines. Do not put /etc/init.d in your $PATH. Having this directory in your $PATH can cause unexpected behavior. The programs in /etc/init.d are associated with init state changes and, under normal circumstances, are not intended to be invoked from a command line. Example 1: Example of /sbin/rc2. When changing to init state 2 (multi-user mode, network resources not exported), /sbin/rc2 is initiated by the svc.startd(1M) process. The following steps are performed by /sbin/rc2. 1. In the directory /etc/rc2.d are files used to stop processes that should not be running in state 2. The filenames are prefixed with K. Each K file in the directory is executed (by /sbin/rc2) in alphanumeric order when the system enters init state 2. See example below. 2. Also in the rc2.d directory are files used to start processes that should be running in state 2. As in Step 1, each S file is executed. Assume the file /etc/init.d/netdaemon is a script that will initiate networking daemons when given the argument 'start', and will terminate the daemons if given the argument 'stop'. It is linked to /etc/rc2.d/S68netdaemon, and to /etc/rc0.d/K67netdaemon. The file is executed by /etc/rc2.d/S68netdaemon start when init state 2 is entered and by /etc/rc0.d/K67netdaemon stop when shutting the system down. svcs(1), init(1M), svc.startd(1M), svccfg(1M), smf(5) Solaris now provides an expanded mechanism, which includes automated restart, for applications historically started via the init script mechanism. The Service Management Facility (introduced in smf(5)) is the preferred delivery mechanism for persistently running applica- tions. Existing init.d scripts will, however, continue to be executed according to the rules in this manual page. The details of execution in relation to managed services are available in svc.startd(1M). On earlier Solaris releases, a script named with a suffix of '.sh' would be sourced, allowing scripts to modify the environment of other scripts executed later. This behavior is no longer supported; for altering the environment in which services are run, see the setenv sub- command in svccfg(1M). /sbin/rc2 has references to the obsolescent rc.d directory. These references are for compatibility with old INSTALL scripts. New INSTALL scripts should use the init.d directory for related executables. The same is true for the shutdown.d directory. 17 Aug 2005 init.d(4)