Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Need help on an old post - How to convert a comma delimited string to records or lines of text? Post 303028786 by newbie_01 on Tuesday 15th of January 2019 04:59:00 AM
Old 01-15-2019
Thanks Andrew.
Yeah, the nl works fine . Just curious if there is an option to not use it.
Had tried your suggestion and that works fine.
Found it by chance from Googling that I can actually do RavinderSingh13's to just do
Code:
awk -F"," '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){print i " " $i}}' Input_file

Always room for learning. Now, I am curious how to do that in the gsub :-)
This User Gave Thanks to newbie_01 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert this file into comma delimited format

Hi experts, I need urget help! I have the a text file with this format: Types of fruits Name of fruits 1,1 Farm_no,1 apple,1 pineapple,1 grapes,1 orange,1 banana,1 2,2--->this is the record seperator Farm_no,2 apple,1 pineapple,1 grapes,3 orange,2 banana,1 3,3--->this is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: natalie23
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Urgent! need help! how to convert this file into comma delimited format

Hi experts, I need urget help! I have the a text file with this format: Types of fruits Name of fruits 1,1 Farm_no,1 apple,1 pineapple,1 grapes,1 orange,1 banana,1 2,2--->this is the record seperator Farm_no,2 apple,1 pineapple,1 grapes,3 orange,2 banana,1 3,3--->this is the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: natalie23
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to Insert values in multiple lines(records) within a pipe delimited text file in specific cols

this is Korn shell unix. The scenario is I have a pipe delimited text file which needs to be customized. say for example,I have a pipe delimited text file with 15 columns(| delimited) and 200 rows. currently the 11th and 12th column has null values for all the records(there are other null columns... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasan2815
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print records which do not have expected number of fields in a comma delimited file

Hi, I have a comma (,) delimited file, in which few fields are enclosed with in double quotes " ". I have to print the records in the file which donot have expected number of field with the line number. File1 ==== name,desgnation,doj,project #header#... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert comma delimited file to tab separator

Hi all, How can i convert comma delimited .csv file to tab separate using sed command or script. Thanks, Krupa (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krupasindhu18
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to convert comma delimited files to semi colon delimited

Hi All, I need a unix script to convert .csv files to .skv files (changing a comma delimited file to a semi colon delimited file). I am a unix newbie and so don't know where to start. The script will be scheduled using cron and needs to convert each .csv file in a particular folder to a .skv... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CarpKing
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change a line of text to a comma delimited string?

Hi, Is there a one-liner that I can use to change a line of text into a comma delimited string? For example, convert user1 user2 user3 user4to user1,user2,user3,user4Currently using while read x, although got the extra comma at the end that I have to remove manually. Please... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert a comma delimited string to records or lines of text?

Hi, I am not sure if I've posted this question before. Anyway, I previously asked about converting lines of text into a comma delimited string. Now I am needing to do the other way around ... :( :o Can anyone advise how is this possible? Example as below: Converting records/lines to... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help/Advise please for converting space delimited string variable to comma delimited with quote

Hi, I am wanting to create a script that will construct a SQL statement based on a a space delimited string that it read from a config file. Example of the SQL will be For example, it will read a string like "AAA BBB CCC" and assign to a variable named IN_STRING. I then concatenate... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux convert Comma delimited file to pipe

I have file in linux with comma delimited and string fields in double quotations ", I need to convert them to pipe delimiter please share your inputs. Example: Input: "2017-09-30","ACBD,TVF","01234",NULL,18,NULL,"686091802","BANK OF ABCD, LIMITED, THE",790456 Output: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shieksir
4 Replies
LDBMODIFY(1)							  [FIXME: manual]						      LDBMODIFY(1)

NAME
ldbmodify - Modify records in a LDB database SYNOPSIS
ldbmodify [-H LDB-URL] [ldif-file] DESCRIPTION
ldbmodify changes, adds and deletes records in a LDB database. The changes that should be made to the LDB database are read from the specified LDIF-file. If - is specified as the filename, input is read from stdin. For now, see ldapmodify(1) for details on the LDIF file format. OPTIONS
-H <ldb-url> LDB URL to connect to. See ldb(3) for details. ENVIRONMENT
LDB_URL LDB URL to connect to (can be overrided by using the -H command-line option.) VERSION
This man page is correct for version 4.0 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
ldb(3), ldbedit AUTHOR
ldb was written by Andrew Tridgell[1]. If you wish to report a problem or make a suggestion then please see the http://ldb.samba.org/ web site for current contact and maintainer information. This manpage was written by Jelmer Vernooij. NOTES
1. Andrew Tridgell http://samba.org/~tridge/ [FIXME: source] 04/19/2012 LDBMODIFY(1)