Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Issue with "rsh" on RedHat
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Issue with "rsh" on RedHat Post 303028640 by bakunin on Friday 11th of January 2019 05:33:17 PM
Old 01-11-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gull04
The problem turned out to be the firewall had been turned back on by one of our offshore people, I had already stopped the service
In addition to what Don Cragun already said: how on earth can a user get the privileges necessary to turn on the firewall?? In a long (and rather depressing) life as a systems administrator i learned that admins should be like gods: i am your root - thou shalt have no others besides me!

In AIX there is a file /etc/nologin, which, when in place, prevents any login. (It is deleted automatically upon reboot, so it can't be forgotten.) Maybe there is something alike in RHEL, which you could incorporate to your deployment process to prevent these things? If not: how about killing getty instead? That would also prevent new logins until a final reboot, which should perhaps be the last step in a customisation process anyway.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Failed to check status code in "rsh" command

Hi folks, I wrote a ksh program which run scripts from remote server. To check the status code I wrote the following function: check_remote_status() { status_code=`tail -1 $installLog` if ] ; then echo $errMsg | tee -a $installLog exit 1 else echo $validMsg >> $installLog fi... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

3. AIX

xx=`date +"%a %b %d"`;rsh xxx grep "^$XX" zzz ?

AIX 4.2 I am trying to do an rsh grep to search for date records inside server logs by doing this : xx=`date +"%a %b %d"` rsh xxx grep "^$XX" zzz gives : grep: 0652-033 Cannot open Jun. grep: 0652-033 Cannot open 11. But if I do : xx=`date +"%a %b %d"` grep "^$XX" zzz it works... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
2 Replies

4. AIX

rsh server "script..." which $PATH is used ?

When running a script on a distant server via rsh, what is the $PATH used ? I had done a script in the /usr/local/bin but the rsh reported it did not find it. So I assume it is using a separate $PATH but how can I find out ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

"if" and "then" statement is not working in RedHat

Dear experts, I'm trying to write a script to calculate the usage of Log Archive in a directory, so if it gets to a point where the directory size is 60%, then send out an FYI.. email. So if then it reaches to 80%, move the logs from that directory. I have written the script as follow but... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Afi_Linux
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

""Help Me!""Beginner awk learning issue

Hi All, I have just now started learning awk from the source - Awk - A Tutorial and Introduction - by Bruce Barnett and the bad part is that I am stuck on the very first example for running the awk script. The script is as - #!/bin/sh # Linux users have to change $8 to $9 awk ' BEGIN ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: csrohit
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
SHUTDOWN(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       SHUTDOWN(8)

NAME
shutdown - close down the system at a given time SYNOPSIS
shutdown [ -k ] [ -r ] [ -h ] [ -f ] [ -n ] time [ warning-message ... ] DESCRIPTION
Shutdown provides an automated shutdown procedure which a super-user can use to notify users nicely when the system is shutting down, sav- ing them from system administrators, hackers, and gurus, who would otherwise not bother with niceties. Time is the time at which shutdown will bring the system down and may be the word now (indicating an immediate shutdown) or specify a future time in one of two formats: +number and hour:min. The first form brings the system down in number minutes and the second brings the system down at the time of day indicated (as a 24-hour clock). At intervals which get closer together as apocalypse approaches, warning messages are displayed at the terminals of all users on the sys- tem. Five minutes before shutdown, or immediately if shutdown is in less than 5 minutes, logins are disabled by creating /etc/nologin and writing a message there. If this file exists when a user attempts to log in, login(1) prints its contents and exits. The file is removed just before shutdown exits. At shutdown time a message is written in the system log, containing the time of shutdown, who ran shutdown and the reason. Then a termi- nate signal is sent to init to bring the system down to single-user state. Alternatively, if -r, -h, or -k was used, then shutdown will exec reboot(8), halt(8), or avoid shutting the system down (respectively). (If it isn't obvious, -k is to make people think the system is going down!) With the -f option, shutdown arranges, in the manner of fastboot(8), that when the system is rebooted the file systems will not be checked. The -n option prevents the normal sync(2) before stopping. The time of the shutdown and the warning message are placed in /etc/nologin and should be used to inform the users about when the system will be back up and why it is going down (or anything else). FILES
/etc/nologin tells login not to let anyone log in SEE ALSO
login(1), reboot(8), fastboot(8) BUGS
Only allows you to kill the system between now and 23:59 if you use the absolute time for shutdown. 4th Berkeley Distribution November 16, 1996 SHUTDOWN(8)