Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reseting row count every given number of rows Post 303028593 by Don Cragun on Thursday 10th of January 2019 08:38:39 PM
Old 01-10-2019
Try this instead:
Code:
awk '{print NR + 6 * int((NR - 1) / 6), int(((NR - 1) % 6) / 3) + 1}' test.txt

If you're running this on a Solaris/SunOS system, change awk to /usr/xpg4/bin/awk or nawk. (Please get into the habit of telling us what operating system and shell you're using every time you start a new thread!)

The above code does not put the leading <space> on the last 47 rows of your output, but it otherwise matches the output you said you want. If you really want the leading <space> in the output, except on the first output line, I will leave adding that <space> to the output as an exercise for the reader.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

row count but only number part

hi i am pretty new to unix .i am ETL guy I need a unix script to take row count of a file and write it to another file the problem with wc-l is it include filename also wc -l abc.dat will give me like 1000 abc.dat i just want 1000 to be written can u just take 2 min to write a simple... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: er_zeeshan05
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

count number of nonempty columns in row

Hi, Suppose i have a inputfile in csv format. How to use awk to count 'the number of nonempty columns in each row' minus one, and add the value as a new column in the end For cosmetic reason, it's even better to include a descriptive label for the last column in the first row. for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grossgermany
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to count number of rows and sum of column using awk

Hi All, I have the following input which i want to process using AWK. Rows,NC,amount 1,1202,0.192387 2,1201,0.111111 3,1201,0.123456 i want the following output count of rows = 3 ,sum of amount = 0.426954 Many thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pistachio
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to add the number of row and count number of rows

Hi experts a have a very large file and I need to add two columns: the first one numbering the incidence of records and the another with the total count The input file: 21 2341 A 21 2341 A 21 2341 A 21 2341 C 21 2341 C 21 2341 C 21 2341 C 21 4567 A 21 4567 A 21 4567 C ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: juelillo
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count number of rows based on other column values

Could anybody help with this? I have input below ..... david,39 david,39 emelie,40 clarissa,22 bob,42 bob,42 tim,32 bob,39 david,38 emelie,47 what i want to do is count how many names there are with different ages, so output would be like this .... david,2 emelie,2 clarissa,1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsme999
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number or row with same value in a column

This is the source file, we called it errorlist.out 196 server_a server_unix_2 CD 196 server_b server_win_1 CD 196 server_c server_win_2 CD 196 server_bd server_unix_2 CD 196 server_d server_unix_2 CD 196 server_es server_win_1 CD 196 ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: sQew
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract and count number of Duplicate rows

Hi All, I need to extract duplicate rows from a file and write these bad records into another file. And need to have a count of these bad records. i have a command awk ' {s++} END { for(i in s) { if(s>1) { print i } } }' ${TMP_DUPE_RECS}>>${TMP_BAD_DATA_DUPE_RECS}... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun Mishra
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk/sed script for transposing any number of rows with header row

Greetings! I have been trying to find out a way to take a CSV file with a large number of rows, and a very large number of columns (in the thousands) and convert the rows to a single column of data, where the first row is a header representing the attribute name and the subsequent series of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tntelle
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to count number of rows

Hi, I need a solaris shell script to read multiple files and count number of unique name rows(strings) from those files. The input and output should be like this Input: file 1 abc cde abc ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssk250
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I want count of number of records to be printed on each row.

we want the count of number of records to be printed on each row. For Ex: if there are 5 records on one unique id , the count "5'' should be printed on each record in other column. Please help for this. I am using unix & Cygwin. Below are sample records: KCZ0650473... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElijaRajesh
2 Replies
FBSQL_FETCH_ROW(3)							 1							FBSQL_FETCH_ROW(3)

fbsql_fetch_row - Get a result row as an enumerated array

SYNOPSIS
array fbsql_fetch_row (resource $result) DESCRIPTION
fbsql_fetch_row(3) fetches one row of data from the result associated with the specified result identifier. Subsequent call to fbsql_fetch_row(3) would return the next row in the result set, or FALSE if there are no more rows. PARAMETERS
o $ result -A result identifier returned by fbsql_query(3) or fbsql_db_query(3). RETURN VALUES
Returns an array that corresponds to the fetched row where each result column is stored in an offset, starting at offset 0, or FALSE if there are no more rows. SEE ALSO
fbsql_fetch_array(3), fbsql_fetch_assoc(3), fbsql_fetch_object(3), fbsql_data_seek(3), fbsql_fetch_lengths(3), fbsql_result(3). PHP Documentation Group FBSQL_FETCH_ROW(3)