Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating a pseudo-array in dash, (POSIX). Post 303028542 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 10th of January 2019 09:33:03 AM
Old 01-10-2019
Code:
#!/bin/dash
var="one|test|program"
oldIFS=$IFS
IFS="|"
set -- $var
echo "$1"
echo "$2"
echo "$3"      # more $9 == curly braces e.g. "${10}"
IFS=$oldIFS

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a dynamic array in ksh

Hi, Is it possible to create a dynamic array in shell script. I am trying to get the list of logfiles that created that day and put it in a dynamic array. I am not sure about it. help me New to scripting Gundu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gundu
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating array variable

Hi all, i am quite fimiliar with shell scripting but i wouldn't regard myself as a semi professional at it. I am trying to create an array variable to read in 4 lines from a file using head and tail command in a pipeline and store each line into each array. I have done the scripting in unix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptingmani
2 Replies

3. Solaris

pseudo: [ID 129642 kern.info] pseudo-device: vol0

Hi I have a system that gave me some messages on bootup that I was not used to seeing: pseudo: pseudo-device: vol0 genunix: vol0 is /pseudo/vol@0 these came with these: Feb 13 17:42:17 system1 eri: SUNW,eri0 : 100 Mbps full duplex link up Feb 13 17:42:21 system1sendmail: My unqualified... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mndavies
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a dynamic array

i want to create an array the array elements are populated depending upon the number of entries present in a data file The data file is created dynamically how to achieve the same thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
1 Replies

5. Programming

Creating an array to hold posix thread ids: Only dynamic array works

I am facing a strange error while creating posix threads: Given below are two snippets of code, the first one works whereas the second one gives a garbage value in the output. Snippet 1 This works: -------------- int *threadids; threadids = (int *) malloc (num_threads * sizeof(int)); ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmehta
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating variable array name

#!/bin/ksh #export CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:~dialp/cso/classes:/opt/oracle/product/8.1.6/jdbc/lib/classes12.zip #export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/opt/oracle/product/8.1.6/lib DATE="`date '+%m%d%Y'`" PATH=.:$PATH export PATH town_name='123' town_name='123' town_name='345'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: priyanka3006
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating array containing file names

I am wondering how I can save the file names (stored in $file or $fnames) in array which I can access with an index. alias MATH 'set \!:1 = `echo "\!:3-$" | bc -l`' set narg = $#argv while ($iarg < $narg) MATH iarg = $iarg + 1 set arg = $argv set opt = ` echo $arg | awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating an array

I am having trouble creating an array, I've tried everything google gives me but it won't work, and it seems as though it should. Using Ubunto 12.04 and bash. #!/bin/bash ARRAY=one two three echo ${ARRAY}When I do this I receive the error : two: not found and : Bad substitution When I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrymer
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating array from file

Dear community, how can I create an array from file taking only the 4th field? out.txt file is something like this: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20So the final array should be: 4 8 12 16 20With this command I created an array with all the fields, but I need only the 4th... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
13 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Generate a random number in a fully POSIX compliant shell, 'dash'...

Hi all... Apologies for any typos, etc... This took a while but it didn't beat me... Although there are many methods of generating random numbers in a POSIX shell this uses integer maths and a simple C source to create an executable to get epoch to microseconds accuracy if it is needed. I take... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
8 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)