Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat How to solve TCP connection timeout (not in ssh)? Post 303028376 by Neo on Sunday 6th of January 2019 05:37:46 AM
Old 01-06-2019
Linux has built-in support for TCP keepalive. You need procfs and sysctl support to be able to configure the kernel parameters at runtime.

The procedures involving TCP keepalive use three user-driven variables:

tcp_keepalive_time

the interval between the last data packet sent (simple ACKs are not considered data) and the first keepalive probe; after the connection is marked to need keepalive, this counter is not used any further

tcp_keepalive_intvl

the interval between subsequential keepalive probes, regardless of what the connection has exchanged in the meantime

tcp_keepalive_probes

the number of unacknowledged probes to send before considering the connection dead and notifying the application layer
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Neo For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

about TCP connection

Hi Experts, need help about release or refresh TCP Connection: i have the sample like below : application log connection: 0500 ( 192.168.0.1:36053) 00919 2007/05/10 23:30:25 112 13 2007/05/10 23:30:25 1969/12/31 17:00:00 0500 ( 192.168.0.1:36054) 00920 2007/05/10 23:30:26 000 00... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bucci
3 Replies

2. IP Networking

false tcp connection

Why this happens? How to solve this? $netstat -na |grep 9325 tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:9325 127.0.0.1:9325 ESTABLISHED When a client socket repeatedly tries to connect to an inactive(no server socket is listening on this port) local port,connect succeeds. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnbach
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Decreasing SSL connection timeout

hi people, i need help about timeout duration of ssl while connecting to another server in network. this is what i try bash-3.00# time ssh root@10.10.10.10 "date" ssh: connect to host 10.10.10.10 port 22: Connection timed out real 3m10.215s user 0m0.007s sys 0m0.011sthere is no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdkbjk
2 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

sendmail connection timeout

Hi I am trying to configure sendmail for logwatch and another script i have . However when i try to send a test mail i am getting the following error. Logwatch is not sending any emails out nor is denyhost. I just want it to send emails out . Can anyone help me ? i have looked through... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: um08
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SCP Connection Timeout

Hello UNIX users, Thanks for helping me in my earlier post. Now, I am facing a timeout issue when ever I am transferring a zipped file from my server to client's server. If the zipped file size is below 3 MB, it goes fine. Anything above that fails. Below is the part of screenshot from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: st3636
1 Replies

6. Solaris

weblogic connection timeout error

i am facing an issue that the server give a connection timeout after 60 sec for any request more than that number . i tried to increase the TCP INTERVAL TIMEOUT from the default 60000 ms to more higher number. the server seems to work fine and didn't give me the massage of the timeout but the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: core99
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is this error log = hda: irq timeout: error=0x00 and how to solve?

what is this error log = hda: irq timeout: error=0x00 and how to solve? every day upon checking the logs i see this error. hda: irq timeout: error=0x00 hda: irq timeout: error=0x00 hda: irq timeout: error=0x00 hda: irq timeout: error=0x00 hw_client: segfault at 0000000000000046 rip... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avtalan
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How keep running a program n an another computer via a connection ssh when the connection is closed?

Hi everybody, I am running a program on a supercomputer via my personal computer through a ssh connection. My program take more than a day to run, so when I left work with my PC I stop the connection with the supercomputer and the program stop. I am wondering if someone know how I can manage... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomTomGre
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Timeout to abolish ssh connection command it takes too long

Hi, I am running a ssh connection test in a script, how can I add a timeout to abolish the process if it takes too long? ssh -i ~/.ssh/ssl_key useraccount@computer1 Thank you. - j (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hce
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to set timeout for dev/tcp while checking hostname and port?

I have a command to check the status of hostname and port number, echo > /dev/tcp/hostname/80 echo $? 0 success case echo > /dev/tcp/hostname/809999 I got the output ------------------- connection timed out It took almost 4 minutes to time out,,, how can I set it to 10 seconds? my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam@sam
2 Replies
TCP(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    TCP(4)

NAME
tcp -- Internet Transmission Control Protocol SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/socket.h> #include <netinet/in.h> int socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0); DESCRIPTION
The TCP protocol provides reliable, flow-controlled, two-way transmission of data. It is a byte-stream protocol used to support the SOCK_STREAM abstraction. TCP uses the standard Internet address format and, in addition, provides a per-host collection of ``port addresses''. Thus, each address is composed of an Internet address specifying the host and network, with a specific TCP port on the host identifying the peer entity. Sockets utilizing the TCP protocol are either ``active'' or ``passive''. Active sockets initiate connections to passive sockets. By default, TCP sockets are created active; to create a passive socket, the listen(2) system call must be used after binding the socket with the bind(2) system call. Only passive sockets may use the accept(2) call to accept incoming connections. Only active sockets may use the connect(2) call to initiate connections. Passive sockets may ``underspecify'' their location to match incoming connection requests from multiple networks. This technique, termed ``wildcard addressing'', allows a single server to provide service to clients on multiple networks. To create a socket which listens on all networks, the Internet address INADDR_ANY must be bound. The TCP port may still be specified at this time; if the port is not specified, the system will assign one. Once a connection has been established, the socket's address is fixed by the peer entity's location. The address assigned to the socket is the address associated with the network interface through which packets are being transmitted and received. Nor- mally, this address corresponds to the peer entity's network. TCP supports a number of socket options which can be set with setsockopt(2) and tested with getsockopt(2): TCP_NODELAY Under most circumstances, TCP sends data when it is presented; when outstanding data has not yet been acknowledged, it gathers small amounts of output to be sent in a single packet once an acknowledgement is received. For a small number of clients, such as window systems that send a stream of mouse events which receive no replies, this packetization may cause significant delays. The boolean option TCP_NODELAY defeats this algorithm. TCP_MAXSEG By default, a sender- and receiver-TCP will negotiate among themselves to determine the maximum segment size to be used for each connection. The TCP_MAXSEG option allows the user to determine the result of this negotiation, and to reduce it if desired. TCP_NOOPT TCP usually sends a number of options in each packet, corresponding to various TCP extensions which are provided in this implementation. The boolean option TCP_NOOPT is provided to disable TCP option use on a per-connection basis. TCP_NOPUSH By convention, the sender-TCP will set the ``push'' bit, and begin transmission immediately (if permitted) at the end of every user call to write(2) or writev(2). When this option is set to a non-zero value, TCP will delay sending any data at all until either the socket is closed, or the internal send buffer is filled. TCP_KEEPALIVE The TCP_KEEPALIVE options enable to specify the amount of time, in seconds, that the connection must be idle before keepalive probes (if enabled) are sent. The default value is specified by the MIB variable net.inet.tcp.keepidle. TCP_CONNECTIONTIMEOUT The TCP_CONNECTIONTIMEOUT option allows to specify the timeout, in seconds, for new, non established TCP connections. This option can be useful for both active and passive TCP connections. The default value is specified by the MIB vari- able net.inet.tcp.keepinit. The option level for the setsockopt(2) call is the protocol number for TCP, available from getprotobyname(3), or IPPROTO_TCP. All options are declared in <netinet/tcp.h>. Options at the IP transport level may be used with TCP; see ip(4). Incoming connection requests that are source-routed are noted, and the reverse source route is used in responding. Non-blocking connect When a TCP socket is set non-blocking, and the connection cannot be established immediately, connect(2) returns with the error EINPROGRESS, and the connection is established asynchronously. When the asynchronous connection completes successfully, select(2) or poll(2) or kqueue(2) will indicate the file descriptor is ready for writing. If the connection encounters an error, the file descriptor is marked ready for both reading and writing, and the pending error can be retrieved via the socket option SO_ERROR. Note that even if the socket is non-blocking, it is possible for the connection to be established immediately. In that case connect(2) does not return with EINPROGRESS. DIAGNOSTICS
A socket operation may fail with one of the following errors returned: [EISCONN] when trying to establish a connection on a socket which already has one; [ENOBUFS] when the system runs out of memory for an internal data structure; [ETIMEDOUT] when a connection was dropped due to excessive retransmissions; [ECONNRESET] when the remote peer forces the connection to be closed; [ECONNREFUSED] when the remote peer actively refuses connection establishment (usually because no process is listening to the port); [EADDRINUSE] when an attempt is made to create a socket with a port which has already been allocated; [EADDRNOTAVAIL] when an attempt is made to create a socket with a network address for which no network interface exists; [EAFNOSUPPORT] when an attempt is made to bind or connect a socket to a multicast address; [EINPROGRESS] returned by connect(2) when the socket is set nonblocking, and the connection cannot be immediately established; [EALREADY] returned by connect(2) when connection request is already in progress for the specified socket. SEE ALSO
connect(2), getsockopt(2), kqueue(2), poll(2), select(2), socket(2), sysctl(3), inet(4), inet6(4), ip(4), ip6(4), netintro(4), setkey(8) HISTORY
The TCP protocol appeared in 4.2BSD. The socket option TCP_CONNECTIONTIMEOUT first appeared in Mac OS X 10.6. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution February 28, 2007 4.2 Berkeley Distribution