Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Advice on allocating SAN storage to a virtual database server on VMware Post 303027920 by dkmartin on Friday 28th of December 2018 08:43:16 AM
Old 12-28-2018
Thanks for the reply. We will not be using ASM. I guess coming from an AIX environment I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around having 1 large LUN (approx 1 tb) on 1 storage device for all the different types of data.

Currently on AIX I have 5 volume groups all with their own set of luns/disks which are allocated across 6 SAN devices on the back end.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Using San storage - advice needed

Thinking of using our San for network backups.. Have a Netra 240 being installed and planning to get some space on our San. Do you know what software is used to access the San from my server or what I would need to do? I know how to connect to local storage, disk arrays etc but not sure what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies

2. Solaris

SAN Storage to solaris 10 server

Hi, I have configured our SAN Storage to be connected to our new SUN T5220. On the SAn it looks all fine on the server I do not see any connection: cfgadm -al Ap_Id Type Receptacle Occupant Condition c1 scsi-bus connected ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manni2
4 Replies

3. SuSE

Hot-add memory to SuSE / VMware virtual server

Hi, Here is the issue. Some more memory has been added from vCenter to the virtual machine. From the virtual machine running SuSE 11 SP3. # modprobe acpiphp # modprobe acpi-memhotplug # grep -v online /sys/devices/system/memory/*/state # It looks like there is no offline memory, but free... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixlover
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Allocating Unallocated Drive Space from a SAN to a filesystem

Good Morning everyone, I want to know how to allocate unallocated drive space from a SAN to a file system that desperately needs the drive space. Does anyone have any documentation or tips on how to accomplish this? I am running on AIX version 6.1. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryanco
2 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to mount a 79TB SAN storage to another server?

Hi Team, How do i mount or connect the SAN storage to a specific folder. I have tried to mount it but each time i can only mount 900GB of the storage to the folder: ipmi1 ~]# df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/mapper/VolGroup-root_vol ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElVista
0 Replies
SCSI(4) 						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							   SCSI(4)

Name
       SCSI - Small Computer System Interconnect

Description
       The  ULTRIX  system interfaces to disk and tape devices through the Small Computer System Interconnect (SCSI).  Initial ULTRIX SCSI support
       is limited to the Digital-supplied mass storage devices.  The following devices are fully supported on the ULTRIX system:

o    Winchester disks: RZ22, RZ23, RZ23L, RZ24, RZ55, RZ56, RZ57, RX23, RX26, RX33

o    Magnetic tapes: TZ30, TZK50, TLZ04, TSZ05, TKZ08, TZK10

o    Optical disks: RRD40, RRD42

Under the ULTRIX operating system, a SCSI device is referred to by its logical name.  Logical names take the following form:
       nn#
       The nn argument is the two-character name; the number sign (#) represents the unit number.  The two character names for SCSI devices are:

rz  -  RZ22, RZ23, RZ23L, RZ24, RZ55, RZ56, RZ57, RX23, RX26, RX33, RRD40, RRD42 disks

tz  -  TZ30, TZK50, TLZ04, TSZ05, TKZ08, and TZK10 tapes

The unit number is a combination of the SCSI bus number, either 0, 1, ... and the device's target ID number.   The  unit  number  is  eight
       times  the  bus	number plus the target ID.  For example, an RZ23 disk at target ID 3 on bus 0 would be referred to as rz3; a TZK50 tape at
       target ID 5 on the second SCSI bus would be referred to as 13.

The SCSI bus has eight possible target device IDs.  By default, one is allocated to the system.	This allows for a maximum of seven  target
       devices connected to a SCSI bus.

Restrictions
       The ULTRIX SCSI device driver does not operate with optical disks, other than the Digital-supplied devices.

The SCSI driver attempts to support on a best effort basis, non-Digital-supplied winchester disks and magnetic tapes.

The following notes apply to the driver's handling of non-Digital-supplied disks:

o   These disks are assigned a device type of RZxx, instead of RZ22, RZ23, RZ23L, RZ55, RZ56, RZ57, RX23, RX26, or RX33.  The RZxx disks
	      follow the same logical device naming scheme as the Digital-supplied disks.

o   During the autoconfigure phase of the system startup, the driver prints the contents of the SCSI vendor  ID,  product  ID,  and  the
	      revision level fields of the inquiry data return by the SCSI device.

o   RZxx  disks  are	assigned a default partition table. The default table can be modified by editing the sz_rzxx_sizes[8] entry in the
	      file The utility can also be used to modify the partition table on a RZxx disk.

o   The only logical unit number (LUN) supported for each target ID is 0.

See Also
       rz(4), tz(4), chpt(8)

SCSI(4)