Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Monitoring Paging and Swapping Post 303027395 by MadeInGermany on Friday 14th of December 2018 03:29:02 PM
Old 12-14-2018
Quote:
Virtual swap = ram + disk. (shown in swap -s)
- I understand that memory reservation on virtual swap does not actually consume physical space
- From the previous thread, i understood that reserved virtual swap can be use for actual swapping/paging
The reservation is just an amount of virtual memory. Not located in a certain area (unless there would be a flag "contiguous" memory, don't know if Solaris has this).
If there is no overcommit (Solaris) then this reservation is never sacrificed by another process.

Last edited by MadeInGermany; 12-14-2018 at 04:34 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Excessive Paging&Swapping!

Hi all! Working on Oracle v8i/9i on Unix Sun Solaris v8.0. I am experiencing excessive paging & Swapping.Would like to know the cause. I guess:could be due to inappropriate setting of Unix Kernel Parameters... Please correct me if I am wrong! Thanks&Regards, Amit. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amitstora
5 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Paging and Swapping

Hi Guys: Would like to know how to check system swapping and paging and some theory on how they function. I am an oracle dba and my environment is 8171 on AIX 433. We have a 1GB of RAM on the box and I am educating myself to see how much more SGA can be accommodated on the box and what are the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ST2000
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get swapping info

Hi How can I determine if swapping is occuring on a server. Thanks, Leo (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo
2 Replies

4. SuSE

Swapping

Hello! Why does my SuSE GNU/Linux machine swap? I have a Gig of ram, currently 14MBs of free RAM, 724MB - buffers and caches... That is 685MB of cached RAM, then kernel really should'nt have to swap, It should release cached memory in my thinkin... It has only swaped 3MB's but still,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Esaia
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

virtual memory management, swapping paging

can anybody explain me the concepts virtual memory mangement, swapping and paging? although i roughly know what they are , i need more solid distinction between them, and also i want to figure out the relations between them? do you have any well-defined definitons for this concepts? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Swapping in VI editor

Hi, I am attempting to replace several similar words with another word in vi. Here is what I have written for the script: 3dTcat -prefix SuperBrik_4WAY_HRF ../JULY10_2007A/results2TENT/stats.JULY10_2007A+tlrc ../JULY10_2007G/results2TENT/stats.JULY10_2007G+tlrc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jahn
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swapping three lines

I have some text: <date>some_date</date> <text>some_text</text> <name>some_name<name> and I want to transform it to smthng like that: some_name on some_date: some_text I've tried sed: sed 's/<text>\(.*\)<\/text> <name>\(.*\)<\/name>/\2 - \1/' but it says unterminated... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsjkvf
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swapping fields

Hallo Team, This is the command that i am running : grep ",Call Forward Not Reachable" *2013* this is the output that i am getting (i did a head -10 but the files can be more than 1000) ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
8 Replies

9. Solaris

Swapping

Hi Guys I am using SPARC-T4 (chipid 0, clock 2998 MHz), SunOS 5.10 Generic_150400-38 sun4v. How do I see if the server was doing some swapping like yesterday? I had a java application error with java.lang.OutOfMemoryError, now I want to check if the server was not doing some swapping at... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swapping lines

Hi there, I have a text that I'm trying to format into something more readable. However, I'm stuck in the last step. I've searched and tried things over the internet with no avail. OS: Mac After parsing the original text that I won't put here, I managed to get something like this, but this... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kibou
8 Replies
swapon(2)							System Calls Manual							 swapon(2)

NAME
swapon() - add swap space for interleaved paging and swapping SYNOPSIS
Remarks The ANSI C "" construct denotes a variable length argument list whose optional and required members are given in the associated comment DESCRIPTION
The system call makes a block device or a directory named path available to the system for paging and swapping. priority indicates the order in which the swap space from the device or file system is used. It has a range of 0 (highest) to 10 (lowest). Space is taken from the lower-numbered systems first. can be used only by users who have appropriate privileges. If path names a block device file makes it available to the system at the specified priority for allocation for paging and swapping. In this form, takes only two arguments: the path to the block device file, and the priority. The device associated with path can be a device already known to the system, defined at system configuration time, or it can be a previ- ously unspecified device. If the device was already defined at system configuration time and also has a start and/or size defined for that swap device, these values are used. Otherwise, if a filesystem exists on the device, swap is added following the filesystem, or if no filesystem exists, the complete device is used for swap. See the appropriate system administrator's manual for information on how the size of the swap area is calculated. If path names a directory makes the blocks on the file system rooted at path available for paging and swapping. The min, limit, and reserve arguments are passed and used only if the path argument names a directory. min indicates the number of file system blocks to take from the file system when is called. limit indicates the maximum number of file system blocks the swap system is allowed to take from the file system. reserve indicates the number of file system blocks that are saved for file system use only. For a pre-existing directory swap, a value of -1 for min, limit, reserve, or priority will keep the value unchanged. This can be used to change selective values without affecting others. For example, if priority of a pre-existing directory swap needs to be changed without affecting the values of min, limit, or reserve, one can specify the new priority value and pass -1 for other arguments. The size for the file system blocks mentioned above is the preferred file system block size. The preferred file system block size can be obtained by the call. The value of min, limit, or reserve is rounded up to the tunable size. ERRORS
If fails, is set to one of the following values. A component of the path prefix denies search permission. One of priority, min, limit, or reserve arguments is invalid. The device associated with path already has swap turned on. The device associated with path is already in use. The device associated with path was specified at system configuration time to add swap at a specified location, but that location is within an existing file system on the device. The LIF header on the device associated with path contains inconsistent directory data. Unable to read the device associated with path. Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the path name. The length of the specified path name exceeds bytes, or the length of a component of the path name exceeds bytes while is in effect. The device associated with path does not exist. The system-imposed limit on the number of swap file entries has been reached. There is is not enough available space on the specified file system or device. The device associated with path was specified at system configuration time to add swap following the file system, but no file system was found. The path argument is not a block special file or the root directory of a file system. A component of the path is not a directory. The device associated with path could not be opened. The effective user ID is not a user with appropriate privileges. The device associated with path is read-only. WARNINGS
On systems running VxVM 3.5, the swap volumes to be configured for system crash dumps should be created with the usage type as during the creation of the swap volume. Not doing so will cause a dump corruption. You could use the option of to do the same. No means is available to stop swapping to a device. The system allocates no less than the amount specified in min. However, to make the most efficient use of space, more than the amount requested might be taken from the file system. The actual amount taken will not exceed the number of file system blocks indicated in reserve. Swapping to a file system is usually slower than swapping to a device. Once file system blocks have been allocated for swap space, the file system can not be unmounted unless the system is rebooted. is the replacement for is to be obsoleted at a future date. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. SEE ALSO
swapon(1M), vxassist(1M), swapctl(2), privileges(5). TO BE OBSOLETED swapon(2)