Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [bash] script is filling up my /var/log Post 303027325 by Corona688 on Thursday 13th of December 2018 11:29:28 AM
Old 12-13-2018
Do you really need to run ifconfig as root anyway? You shouldn't, if all you're doing is checking values.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process responsible for filling up /var/tmp

Hi, Help ! - I have a process which I cannot find that is writing to /var/tmp every 10 minutes and filling up my partition, it is also filling up my wtmpx file. I have some software error correction for a faulty DIMM at the moment - is this likely to be causing this as well as over-loading my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mal
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

diff command filling /var filesystem space

Hi, I am using diff command to check difference between two files.Both files are very big and when i execute this command /var temp space is filled up almost 99%. Can any one please tell me is there any way i can specify directory name which has more space so that diff can use that dir for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukatru
2 Replies

3. Solaris

diff b/w /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages

hi sirs can u tell the difference between /var/log/syslogs and /var/adm/messages in my working place i am having two servers. in one servers messages file is empty and syslog file is going on increasing.. and in another servers message file is going on increasing but syslog file is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Difference between /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages

Hi, Is the contents in /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages are same?? Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vks47
3 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

[Solved] /var is filling continuously

Hi All, I have Solaris-10 machine. Yesterday I patched it with Solaris-10 patch Cluster. Since then glance software is filling up /var/core continuously. In every few minutes, it will fill /var to 100%. Glance runs through /etc/init.d/mwa and I already stopped it, still core files are... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
15 Replies

6. HP-UX

Script to monitor /var/opt/resmon/log/event.log file

AM in need of some plugin/script that can monitor HP-UX file "/var/opt/resmon/log/event.log" . Have written a scrip in sh shell that is working fine for syslog.log and mail.log as having standard format, have interrogated that to Nagios and is working as I required . But same script failed to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirishlnx
3 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Error filling /var/adm/messages

I have Solaris-11 non-global zone running under Solaris-11 global zone. Every few minutes, this message is getting in /var/adm/message of non-global zone Aug 31 08:31:53 zonnjc002dbp01 statd: statd: cannot talk to statd at NAS1, RPC: Timed out(5) NAS1 is already mounted as NFS and working... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH script to export var to env

Hi all I am trying to create a script that takes a password input then writes that to a tmp file and puts that tmp file path in my env as a var. It does everything but export the my env and I am unsure why. I am using Ubuntu 12.4 #!/bin/bash read -s -p "Enter Password: " gfpassword... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: koikoi
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a BASH script allowing me to grep specifics from /var/log/messages?

I am wondering if there is a script (if one exists, not confident in my own scripting ability) that is able to bring up specified information from the /var/log/messages. I need to show logged traffic on specific dates and times and protocols (ie. Show all insecure FTP traffic (most likely via... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: vgplayer54
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transfer the logs being thrown into /var/log/messages into another file example /var/log/volumelog

I have been searching and reading about syslog. I would like to know how to Transfer the logs being thrown into /var/log/messages into another file example /var/log/volumelog. tail -f /var/log/messages dblogger: msg_to_dbrow: no logtype using missing dblogger: msg_to_dbrow_str: val ==... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
2 Replies
IY(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						     IY(4)

NAME
iy -- Intel EtherExpress PRO/10 Ethernet driver (Intel i82595) SYNOPSIS
iy0 at isa? port {port} irq ? DESCRIPTION
The iy device driver supports the EtherExpress PRO/10 card, and might support other ISA cards using the same chip. MEDIA SELECTION
The different models of the supported boards come with some subset of RJ-45, BNC and AUI connectors. Supported media include: AUI/DIX Standard 15 pin connector 10Base2 BNC, also known as thin-net 10BaseT UTP, also known as twisted pair The default port to use is the port the card autodetects at ifconfig up time. To choose an alternative port, an explicit medium can be spec- ified to ifconfig(8) or in your ifconfig.iy? file. NOTES
The EtherExpress PRO card has no jumpers to set the address. Intel supplies software to set the address of the card in software. You have to hardwire this address in your kernel configuration file. SEE ALSO
ed(4), eg(4), el(4), ep(4), intro(4), ix(4), le(4), ifconfig(8) STANDARDS
are great. There's so many to choose from. BSD
May 22, 1996 BSD